Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 19:21   #1

what smells do you remember

Many smells take me back, Hawthorn Blossom (pothouse lane) freshly baked bread (me Gran) new mown hay (Billy Proctors farm) what are yours?
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2010, 19:55   #2
God Member

Re: what smells do you remember

The cotton smell in the mill, and which mum and dad brought home on their clothes. It is a long time since I smelt it but would recognise it instantly - nothing else smells like it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 20:11   #3
God Member

Dura-glit (sp?) from when I had to clean my Grandmas brasses , used to get 2 bob
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 20:14   #4
Beacon of light

Carbolic soap, the smell of wet washing....steamy Monday smell, the smell of steam trains, the smell of school, Mansion polish, grandad's pipe tobacco......I could go on and on.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 20:59   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

smell of burnt sand when i worked in the foundry, was that strong only fag i could taste proper was Capstan Full strength
Old 06-08-2010, 21:08   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Autumn, those cold crisp October/November mornings, mist in the air & all the fallen leaves are damp & crackling, the smell of earth & decay, words can't really express the tang in the air but I'm sure you understand.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 21:30   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Another lingering memory is the smell of sand, pine & sea blowing in off Liverpool bay as we walked the Dogs along Formby beach most Sundays, then travelling home in the car with white eyebrows & chapped lips tasting of salt & of course wet Hounds.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 21:46   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Another lingering memory is the smell of sand, pine & sea blowing in off Liverpool bay as we walked the Dogs along Formby beach most Sundays, then travelling home in the car with white eyebrows & chapped lips tasting of salt & of course wet Hounds.
and don't forget the dog crap.
Old 06-08-2010, 22:45   #9
God Member

The worst was the smell that sometimes hung around the bottom of Union Road Church end in the 70's .. terrible!... it's strange but the exact same smell was around Blackwall tunnel London up and till only a few years ago...was it chemicals?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 22:51   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The worst was the smell that sometimes hung around the bottom of Union Road Church end in the 70's .. terrible!... it's strange but the exact same smell was around Blackwall tunnel London up and till only a few years ago...was it chemicals?
No but many thought it was, it was actually "Ashworths " on bridge st church virtually next door.
Old 06-08-2010, 23:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Autumn, those cold crisp October/November mornings, mist in the air & all the fallen leaves are damp & crackling, the smell of earth & decay, words can't really express the tang in the air but I'm sure you understand.
Both spring and autumn have the same effect on me. Can't explain it but know when it's here

As for the Cotton Mill smell I am often to be found in the shop at Helmshore Textile Museum smelling at the tea towels they sell made I think by the Lancashire Towel Company
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54   #12

Cotton definitely - after school (before I got my 'latchkey') I used to sit on mum's box stool at the end of her alley reading comics & waiting for her to finish work at 5.

Cocker Chemicals smell drifting across the fields to Immanuel School, New Lane.

Haymaking - forget the farmer's name (not Billy Proctor - tho' I did know him). The farm accessed from near the top of New Lane by the vicarage. A large family - the McGuires had a house nearby.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:30   #13
Resting in Peace

I'll go along with cotton but Velvet weaving had a smell of It's own.I think that was on Victoria St in the 50's.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:37   #14
Resting in Peace

When I was a kid walking around New Lane Ossy and the Smell of TCP from Cocker Chemicals also Them smell of newly cut wood in the machine shop
Old 07-08-2010, 08:54   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I'll go along with cotton but Velvet weaving had a smell of It's own.I think that was on Victoria St in the 50's.
That was Girone Freres pete, got sacked from yon mid 60s.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..