Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-10-2004, 15:04   #61
Beacon of light

Re: WHAT WERE YOU MADE TO DO WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG

Talking of tin baths......My brother and I had the job of emtying ours, most of the water was emptied out using an enamel lading tin, but one winter night we decided it was far too cold to go out the back many times with the lading tin..... and instead we tipped all the water down the back steps. It was a particularly cold night and the water froze on the back steps. Mum went out in the dark the following morning and went A over T all the way down the back steps...... boy did we get our rumps warmed!!!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2004, 14:49   #62
Resident Waffler

That's an interesting way of describing your experience the next day.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:30   #63

I used to mention this to my next sister down, who became a Sydney yuppy. She would cringe and turn away because she was ashamed of her past, but it was reality. As you know, the dunnies were outside. So, under my bed was a ****-pot and a bigger one under mum and dads. At the top of the stairs was a big bucket to empty them into if they got full. Guess who had to empty the bucket? Yours truly and I have to admit I often spilt some. I was going to include this in another thread but I think it belongs here No not very nice and something not usually spoken of but true nonetheless.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 15:52   #64
Resident Waffler

We used to have potties but we never had a big bucket. Ours were emptied every morning, individually out in the "privvy". I can't ever imagine it getting to the "overflow" stage but then again I do remember people went out in the night to do the necessary if necessary too.

It wasn't until I saw Crocodile Dundee that I knew what a "Dunny" was.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 09:16   #65

I was the youngest of 3 kids and I used have to put the dishes away after they had been washed and dried, (talk about child cruelty). My brother hated me for this and would take any opportunity to make me cry usually by punching me or hitting me with the tea towel (stinger)

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 06:32   #66

It dos'nt take long to fill a jerry, after a night out on the ppp-- town.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 22:33   #67
Always EVIL within us

When it was wet or snowing, I was forced to put on a woolen balaclava! The bit below the mouth always got wet and then froze while you were wearing it.....

and the paddling pool would never come out until summer even if there was a heatwave in early June. The temperature didn't matter, the month did!
Old 24-12-2004, 13:10   #68
Senior Member+

Taking fag coupons and green shield stamp books and CO OP ones to get a bag of spuds.God i felt poor when i was forced to do that.Thank God they stopped them
Old 01-04-2005, 22:34   #69
Junior Member+

Go to Church three times on a Sunday! morning service,then Sunday school then back for Evening Service. I missed one Sunday and had to go on the Mon following, I was so embarrase as there was only me and the vicar, so I didnt know when to stand up or sit down!I was an awkwar d teenager at that time and have never forgotton thatexperience!
Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 23:33   #70
Junior Member+

We never had any money but I recall always being dragged in then sent t'shop.
Old 01-04-2005, 23:37   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
In 1964 I managed to mangle my fingers. My dad and granddad had to strip the mangle down to get me out. We had one of those tube keys to get the last of the past out. It was like a bigger version of those found on sardine tins.
OMG DOUG tinks once did that in a mangle ............lmfao

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 00:40   #72
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
OMG DOUG tinks once did that in a mangle ............lmfao
Was she pushed? I wonder……….Answers a lot thought don’t you think

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:39   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

had to do washing up,also go to corner shop and co-op,for odds an sods,no do=no pocket money,pity theres not more of that these days.
Old 07-04-2005, 20:13   #74
Accy Goddess

Green shield stamps were Brilliant.
When we first got married we bought all our Christmas prezzies with them.
Ouch the dreaded mangle.
We had one when we first got married.
I can feel my fingers throbbing at the mere thought.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 20:38   #75
white rabbits

we had a mangle that doubled for the kichen table...we had newspapers on it for a table cloth ,,,,and i also had to cut newspapers up into squares for the loo...then put a string through the corners and hang them on a nail ,,,,,,newspapers were very handy in those days ...fish and chips tasted better in newspaper i swear

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..