Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2007, 22:35   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Whitebirk Power Station

Found this if it's any good http://www.lmars.co.uk/images/whitebirk/21.JPG.................and just realised was put up earlier LOL !!!
Trentster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2011, 21:19   #17

I worked at the Power Station from 1950 until I left in 1967. It had 12 Simon Carves chain grate boilers, one 30 Mw and three 40Mw turbo generators.. The coal weas delivered by barge and rail, coming from Bank Hall Collery, Burnley and Bickershaw Collery in the Wigan area.
whitebirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 08:26   #18
Senior Member+

Coal was also delivered by road, I took many tons in there from Bank Hall as well as the other pits you mention. We turned down a lane on the left of the Rishton road just after the Whitebirk crossroads to get to the coal stack. Gilbraith and Gilmartin might have had as many as a dozen tippers on the job at once. This was in the late 60's.
Old 20-03-2011, 21:28   #19
Junior Member+

A few more bits and bobs...

I used to travel on the train to school between Accrington and Blackburn in the late Fifties and much of the Sixties. Coal trains from Yorkshire used to supply the power station, and also barges (I presume from Wigan) on the L&L canal. I remember them being frozen in every winter.

As an aside, though built by Blackburn Corporation, the power station was outwith Blackburn County Borough, and as such provided a huge chunk of rates to the neighbouring local authority - presumably Rishton or Great Harwood.

Closer to Blackburn town centre, on the other side of the so-called arterial road, was a peculiarly evil gasworks. I seem to think it was called Greengate or similar. The industrial / retail park covers it now, but goodness only knows what's in the ground.

Rgds

John45378
John45378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 09:28   #20
Senior Member+

I think it was called Greenbank, there was a large railway sidings there as well.
I picked up coke from the gas works when I was on a tipper and delivered it to coal merchants.

I think the main central Police Station is there now.
Old 21-03-2011, 14:16   #21

Which is called "Green Bank"
We were talking about the railway bridge over the ring road when it was a single arch
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 20:46   #22

My dad was the rating and valuation officer at Rishton urban district council back in the '50's, and I remember him telling me that Blackburn council had to pay rates to Rishton for the land on which the power station stood because it had been built on the Rishton side of the boundary by mistake.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 20:51   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
My dad was the rating and valuation officer at Rishton urban district council back in the '50's, and I remember him telling me that Blackburn council had to pay rates to Rishton for the land on which the power station stood because it had been built on the Rishton side of the boundary by mistake.
That was right clanger, building a power station on the wrong site by mistake. Mind you it was good for the income of Rishton.
Old 21-03-2011, 22:20   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossylass View Post
Bet Ken Moss deosn't know that , now he will be on a new campaign to get a bigger share of the business taxes paid to the Hyndburn Borough general fund from the shopping area to be spent in his "village"

sorry maybe it's me , but to keep calling Rishton a village is plain wrong , it's nowt like a village, a typical village is supposed to have a bit of charm
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 22:34   #25

Aw, Steely, I spent the first 26 years of my life in Rishton and have lots of happy memories, even if they were a bit insular.
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 09:49   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Bet Ken Moss deosn't know that , now he will be on a new campaign to get a bigger share of the business taxes paid to the Hyndburn Borough general fund from the shopping area to be spent in his "village"

sorry maybe it's me , but to keep calling Rishton a village is plain wrong , it's nowt like a village, a typical village is supposed to have a bit of charm
Its quite easy to make that statement when your across the pond SJ, out of the reach of Mossy
Old 21-06-2011, 19:15   #27
Bee
I am Banned

And now they want to revamp the Peel Retail Centre (Whitebirk Retail Park).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 09:55   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
And now they want to revamp the Peel Retail Centre (Whitebirk Retail Park).
Come on Bee your slipping wheres the link
Old 07-07-2011, 20:59   #29
Bee
I am Banned

What year was the Whitebirk Retail Park built?.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 10:40   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebirk View Post
I worked at the Power Station from 1950 until I left in 1967. It had 12 Simon Carves chain grate boilers, one 30 Mw and three 40Mw turbo generators.. The coal weas delivered by barge and rail, coming from Bank Hall Collery, Burnley and Bickershaw Collery in the Wigan area.
Must have been there same time ('62-'66), control room & efficiency office, can lay claim to stealing 6,000 tons of coal during that time, at least it wasn't there when they shut it down and did the final stocktake.
Parker was the super followed by Keogh. Harry Mitchel deputy and John Prentice ops super. I went to Fleetwood, Roy Ashworth went to Wylfa.
Other names spring to mind, Alan Kershaw, Charlie Small, Sid Carr,Bill Heys.
The plant was built in two halves, turbines 3 & 4 with boilers 10 to 15 then after the war 5 & 6 with 16 to 20.
T/A 6 was connected to the 132 Kv Grid the rest to the Blackburn area network and another Grid connection. At a good push it could send out 150Mw but not for long.
tomthumb likes this.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..