Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2013, 15:58   #31

Re: Whitebirk Power Station

the whole site was sold to peel holdings who still own it along with the Trafford centre and many other developments.they want to make changes to the present site but the know it all do nowt councillors of Hyndburn and Blackburn seem to have objections saying it could harm the already dead town centres.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-08-2013, 16:00   #32

forgot to mention that peel holdings paid £1 for the whole site.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 22:55   #33

I think the first units on the Whitebirk Retail Park were built in the early 1980s. The other side of the railway line, the part known as Trident Park, with all the car dealerships, has only been built within about the last five years.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 15:10   #34

Blackburn dealership announces plans to open £2m servicing centre (From Lancashire Telegraph)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 17:24   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
I think the first units on the Whitebirk Retail Park were built in the early 1980s. The other side of the railway line, the part known as Trident Park, with all the car dealerships, has only been built within about the last five years.
Some business were on the Whitebirk site before 1980 Judith, I worked a firm who built prefab buildings, Premier Construction, in the early 70s and there were quite a few other businesses were also operating too
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 19:22   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Some business were on the Whitebirk site before 1980 Judith, I worked a firm who built prefab buildings, Premier Construction, in the early 70s and there were quite a few other businesses were also operating too
Near sure M.F.I. was yon in 70s, remember buying some crap units. the one n only time.
Old 31-08-2013, 11:08   #37
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I bought a garage from Premier before the moved and were then at the bottom of Audley Range near to the bridge is that Bolton Road. (not sure don't know Blackburn well) made out of asbestos and wood and fitted on a concrete base at 11or15 Banbury Ave Oswaldtwisle. not sure number of the house long time ago brand new semi cost £1,450.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 13:48   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Near sure M.F.I. was yon in 70s, remember buying some crap units. the one n only time.
Ya it was one of the first on there cashy, was certainly there when I worked for Premier Construction
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14   #39

After the station closed (late 70s?) 2 of my rock-climbing mates (Dave Cronshaw & Bob McMillan) climbed the outside of one of the cooling towers & abseiled off. The police had been called and were waiting for them when they got down but let them off with a caution.
wadey likes this.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 00:07   #40

I'm sure my wife has a picture of the towers coming down, somewhere...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 18:58   #41
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I bought a garage from Premier before the moved and were then at the bottom of Audley Range near to the bridge is that Bolton Road. (not sure don't know Blackburn well) made out of asbestos and wood and fitted on a concrete base at 11or15 Banbury Ave Oswaldtwisle. not sure number of the house long time ago brand new semi cost £1,450.
That's weird, I grew up on Banbury Ave and my friend lived at no.15. They did have a garage, think it had a green door.I remember playing in it. (all through the seventies). My mum and dad still live there.
Old 04-09-2013, 20:20   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
That's weird, I grew up on Banbury Ave and my friend lived at no.15. They did have a garage, think it had a green door.I remember playing in it. (all through the seventies). My mum and dad still live there.
Lived on Dudley Ave in 80s may know em.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:32   #43
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Sorry it was no 12 so my wife tells me, and after looking on Google she is right as usual. We bought the house 1965/66 when I worked for the NCB as a mechanic, so we got ten bags of smokeless fuel for £1 and had a Rayburn fire with a glass front, it got so hot we had to run water off the cistern and the radiators nearly bounced off the walls. I remember our mortgage was £11 10 shillings a month.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:48   #44
Senior Member+

I bought my first house in Accrington on a ten year 7% fixed mortgage in 1966, I still have the receipt for the final payment. £4. 6s, 8d.
That's two pints in the Read Con.
Old 05-09-2013, 17:33   #45
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Lived on Dudley Ave in 80s may know em.
They were the Sharrock family, Maurice worked for the Post Office. its a small world. I must have passed you many times in the street /Spar.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..