Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 17:38   #46
Full Member+

Re: Whitebirk Power Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Sorry it was no 12 so my wife tells me, and after looking on Google she is right as usual. We bought the house 1965/66 when I worked for the NCB as a mechanic, so we got ten bags of smokeless fuel for £1 and had a Rayburn fire with a glass front, it got so hot we had to run water off the cistern and the radiators nearly bounced off the walls. I remember our mortgage was £11 10 shillings a month.
I remember two lovely people living at no. 12. Doris and Ricky Roberts. We're they the people who bought your house. We moved in in 1969 and, I think, they were already living there.
Old 05-09-2013, 17:39   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
They were the Sharrock family, Maurice worked for the Post Office. its a small world. I must have passed you many times in the street /Spar.
Memorys not what it was, only folk i really remember are the Mullens off yon, And thats cos i knew sean from early 60s. but i did know some ossy Sharrocks one was a wagon driver (Pete) were i worked. also knew a good few posties, in fact one was me best man way back. His sister is a member on here .
Old 06-09-2013, 16:56   #48
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I remember two lovely people living at no. 12. Doris and Ricky Roberts. We're they the people who bought your house. We moved in in 1969 and, I think, they were already living there.
We both remember Ricky and Doris they moved in to no14 just after we moved into 12, there drive was higher than ours, and Ricky had a flash red Ford Cortina. They were older than us and had no children but treat ours like their own.
Clutching straws would you know anything about them now
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 21:22   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
We both remember Ricky and Doris they moved in to no14 just after we moved into 12, there drive was higher than ours, and Ricky had a flash red Ford Cortina. They were older than us and had no children but treat ours like their own.
Clutching straws would you know anything about them now
Found Accy Web while searching for info re Whitebirk Power Station. I now know the towers were demolished in 1983. Ref Doris and Rick, I too live on Banbury Avenue and, unfortunately, Doris died around 2003. Rick died several years earlier I believe.
Ossyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 22:06   #50

Can I put my twopennorth in on this thread.Around 1945 we lived in Brantwood Avenue Intack.From our back bedroom window I watched the cooling towers being erected.So the answer to the question about when it was built is around 1945.I can confirm this because I was therein the flesh so to speak.
wadey likes this.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 21:06   #51

1932 I can remember the single railway bridge on the ring road
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wps.jpg (48.3 KB, 40 views)
DtheP47 likes this.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:44   #52

Live in Little Harwood,and my neighnour ,no longer around ,worked there.I was about 8 years old.then which was in the 1960s......There was talk of rebuilding a new stadium for Blackburn Rovers there at one time..
wadey likes this.
JC4LAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:17   #53

A friend of mine, Jack, was an engineer at Whitebirk Power Station. He had an old Standard car in pristine condition. When he passed on I lost contact with his family.
Frank Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 21:05   #54

I worked there in the control room 1969-1975
Graham Swarbrick
tomthumb is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..