Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2009, 13:31   #136
God Member

Re: Who Remembers.......

I had a pair of crepe soles once - they were great for rubbing out chalk marks on flagstones when you were redoing the markings for hopscotch.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-03-2009, 16:21   #137
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
fer my money the most comfortable shoe ever made! though not to great fer puncing dingles.
10 Hole Docks were better for that
Old 30-03-2009, 22:31   #138
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Who remembers the "Polish" grocers shop in accy? 50s/early 60s was a top guy with a mustache, that ran it, forget his name or when it closed was on whalley road across from "Marshalls"
Old 30-03-2009, 22:34   #139
God Member

That deli was on Melbourne St, on the corner opposite Melbourne House, before it was demolished to make the dual carriageway.
They were a lovely couple who owned it. They were refugees from the Hungarian revolution (the 1st one -that failed)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 22:52   #140
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That deli was on Melbourne St, on the corner opposite Melbourne House, before it was demolished to make the dual carriageway.
They were a lovely couple who owned it. They were refugees from the Hungarian revolution (the 1st one -that failed)
no i am not on about that one margaret, the one i said is polish n whalley rd, me mate knew him well n we used to go in regular, he was always giving us weird n wonderful things to try.
Old 31-03-2009, 10:43   #141
Resting in Peace

Quote:
no i am not on about that one margaret, the one i said is polish n whalley rd, me mate knew him well n we used to go in regular, he was always giving us weird n wonderful things to try.
Remember the Polish Bakery on Catlow Hall Street, Ossy, it always smelt great when you were on he way home from the pub
Old 31-03-2009, 11:00   #142
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Remember the Polish Bakery on Catlow Hall Street, Ossy, it always smelt great when you were on he way home from the pub
owt smelt great when rat arsed if it was edible.
Old 31-03-2009, 16:32   #143
Resting in Peace

Quote:
owt smelt great when rat arsed if it was edible.
Thats why everybody likes a Donar with plenty chilli sause on cashy
Old 02-06-2009, 21:32   #144

Does any one know if there is any photos of John flynn the fish monger or of the wagon they used to use .
I am looking for any information on them for my family history, I do know john and his wife Ellen adopted one of the henry brothers and took his brother Richard Henry ,I believe after their parents died.
i can be contacted at
[email protected]
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:49   #145

I was weaned on Lions mild in 1962/63 at 1/3d a pint that's perhaps why I don't remember much of this
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:27   #146
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accypete View Post
Does any one know if there is any photos of John flynn the fish monger or of the wagon they used to use .
I am looking for any information on them for my family history, I do know john and his wife Ellen adopted one of the henry brothers and took his brother Richard Henry ,I believe after their parents died.
i can be contacted at
[email protected]
Richard is the only one of the Henry brothers still alive both Tom and John died a few years ago. John lived a few doors away from me for a while and often popped in for a chat, his son Jack(who I went to school with)still lives on the John Street Estate in Ossy
Old 03-06-2009, 10:29   #147
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ireland View Post
I was weaned on Lions mild in 1962/63 at 1/3d a pint that's perhaps why I don't remember much of this
Me too Tony, in the Heys Inn, I was always told if you can drink Lions you can tame um
Old 03-06-2009, 16:52   #148
Senior Member+

Quote:
Who Remembers when we had "Proper" Winters with heavy snow every year,n never once a school was closed.
Yes cashy - I remember 1947 - just. We lived in Oswald St and everyone cleared their section of pavement, The mounds of snow were so high that we kids built snow caves in them - sledging down the street and straight acroos Washington St - what would Health & Safety think of that nowadays.
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 19:34   #149
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Me too Tony, in the Heys Inn, I was always told if you can drink Lions you can tame um
thought the saying was ..."Thwaites for mates , Duttons for gluttons and if you sup Lions you deserve a bloody clawing "
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:02   #150
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
thought the saying was ..."Thwaites for mates , Duttons for gluttons and if you sup Lions you deserve a bloody clawing "
Well Lions was definitely an acquired taste SJ, and I managed to acquire it at an early age

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..