Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-11-2011, 09:25   #211
Mog

Re: Who Remembers.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Mog trying to get in touch
Dont know if its the same Jim then. Jimmy Gudgeon who I knew was a Joiner when I left Accy. Through my older brother Dave, who was Jimmy,s mate I was told that Jim had been in prison for a while ( A few years). Something to do with his business partner, but dont know the reason. He had a sister called Jean. she will be about 62/63 now. They both went to St Peters and I am sure they went to St christophers or maybe Jean went to Hyndburn park. About a year ago the Jimmy Gudgeon, who I knew was spending a lot of time in Accy Library looking at the history of Accy.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-11-2011, 09:40   #212
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Richard is the only one of the Henry brothers still alive both Tom and John died a few years ago. John lived a few doors away from me for a while and often popped in for a chat, his son Jack(who I went to school with)still lives on the John Street Estate in Ossy
Jaysay I was just trawling through some old posts. Is the Jack henry you a talking about the one who used to work at Huncoat Colliery with me. Will be about 65 now. I think he married Connie Downes who had a ladies hairdressers up on the corner, town center side of the Canine Club. but on the right side of the road. Sorry lost all memories of roads. Her brother and her dad both worked at Huncoat, cant remember the brothers first name but he was in the local papers about 1963/4/5 when he eloped to Gretna Green.
Old 16-11-2011, 09:50   #213
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I remember the steam trains and the old railway station which used to have buildings, waiting rooms and fireplaces with real fires. There was a railway line up to Manchester in those days too. I used to be scared of the steam trains. I thought they were dragons.
I remember the steam trains. I shall never forget them. I was at Bank Hall Colliery from 1962 to 1963. Used to travel by train to Burnley and walk up to (The Duke Bar) to the pit. At first we had no washing facilities or showers and we had to travel back to Accy in the guards van so that other travellers would not get dirty. Had to pay the full fare though. Used to love going out of Accy station and over the viaduct. The smell of the smoke fro the loco. great memories.
Old 16-11-2011, 11:27   #214
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
I remember the steam trains. I shall never forget them. I was at Bank Hall Colliery from 1962 to 1963. Used to travel by train to Burnley and walk up to (The Duke Bar) to the pit. At first we had no washing facilities or showers and we had to travel back to Accy in the guards van so that other travellers would not get dirty. Had to pay the full fare though. Used to love going out of Accy station and over the viaduct. The smell of the smoke fro the loco. great memories.
Mog If you read this send me a private message with you email address as I have some photos from Huncoat Pit from B Maden for you.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 11:59   #215
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Bank Hall pit, remember Mr Jerimiah mog? he was the pit god, they sent the cage down mid shift in 66, n me n mate had to go pit top into his office, he then dispensed wi our services. mate was not best pleased wi mi,cos i'd got him sacked from the only job he ever loved. we were only laughing about it a couple of months since.
Old 16-11-2011, 12:40   #216
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Bank Hall pit, remember Mr Jerimiah mog? he was the pit god, they sent the cage down mid shift in 66, n me n mate had to go pit top into his office, he then dispensed wi our services. mate was not best pleased wi mi,cos i'd got him sacked from the only job he ever loved. we were only laughing about it a couple of months since.
I was two months before my 18th and got done in the Bridge inn in Accy for underage. Guess who was on the bench. Mr Ivor Jerimiah. Find me a weeks wage because he knew I was on good money.
Old 16-11-2011, 12:54   #217

I can just about remember the railway station in Great Harwood, long since closed and demolished, from where we went on holiday to Blackpool. Also, the smell of a steam train beats the smell of modern day trains.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 18:00   #218
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Jaysay I was just trawling through some old posts. Is the Jack henry you a talking about the one who used to work at Huncoat Colliery with me. Will be about 65 now. I think he married Connie Downes who had a ladies hairdressers up on the corner, town center side of the Canine Club. but on the right side of the road. Sorry lost all memories of roads. Her brother and her dad both worked at Huncoat, cant remember the brothers first name but he was in the local papers about 1963/4/5 when he eloped to Gretna Green.
Jack hasn't worked for many years, he has some sort of Arthritis, whether he was ever a miner I don't know but he is 65, the same age as me and who he married I don't know

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..