Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02   #61

Re: Who Remembers.......

That chap, I used to see him up Enfield at the matches on Saturdays, my dad said it happened in the war, was in the air force.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-01-2009, 12:36   #62
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep where macdonalds was bernie.
Do you remember the chap who used to stand near there (Old Woolies) selling the Telegraph?...i think he used to wear a flat cap...was there for years!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:40   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
the elderly chap, way back, used to walk round
accrington with a handkerchief up to his face
had no nose
I recall this gentleman too, he used to live on Burnley Road, a few doors up from the Barbers, across from the Boars Head.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 13-01-2009, 11:08   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I recall this gentleman too, he used to live on Burnley Road, a few doors up from the Barbers, across from the Boars Head.

Best Regards - Taggy

Hi Taggy,

I remember an old man with no nose (poor man just used to have a big plaster over where his nose should have been) but I thought he lived down Clayton as I used to see him quite often on Whalley Road.

Another old man I used to see out n about a lot - was a blind man. He was short and used to come to our school to tune the pianos....remember him?

Ciao for now.....
red rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 12:07   #65
Senior Member+

WIMPY bars.. i used to travel around a lot and could always find
a wimpy bar for a burger,the one in Manchester as great.
do they still exist??

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 12:22   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
do they still exist??
I used them a lot in the seventies beechy when I worked with Shopfitters, you could always get somat to eat at Wimpy, that was long before Big Mac and the like
Old 13-01-2009, 12:24   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rose View Post
Hi Taggy,

I remember an old man with no nose (poor man just used to have a big plaster over where his nose should have been) but I thought he lived down Clayton as I used to see him quite often on Whalley Road.

Another old man I used to see out n about a lot - was a blind man. He was short and used to come to our school to tune the pianos....remember him?

Ciao for now.....
I remember the piano tuner, white haired bloke, he used to get around too
Old 13-01-2009, 13:36   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I remember the piano tuner, white haired bloke, he used to get around too
Thatīs right - white hair and he always had a rain mac on and carried a little brown suitcase! Think he used to wear a trilby when it rained.....(which was quite often in Accy!!).
Old 13-01-2009, 13:44   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
do they still exist??
Used to love the Wimpy's. They still have a few but not as many, think Burger King took over many of their sites. Used to be a good one on Lord Street in Southport. I recall the one opening in Accy whilst i was at school, they had leaflets for a free burger when it opened, i collected a few from family and got one every day for a week on way home from School...they used to toast the Buns properly then too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 14-01-2009, 06:59   #70

Yea chap with the plaster on his nose, pretty sure he lived in Clayton, Dill Hall I think. The blind piano tuner lived on Brisbane St I think, the mack & the suit case, a lot of characters around in those days, anyone remember the chap in the Bowler hat he lived in Oswald St, I think he may have been a Booky, and Morice Hindle, he never worked a day in his life, but was very fit, always got around in a vest or T shirt & pumps , had bleach blond hair.
Old 14-01-2009, 10:06   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Yea chap with the plaster on his nose, pretty sure he lived in Clayton, Dill Hall I think. The blind piano tuner lived on Brisbane St I think, the mack & the suit case, a lot of characters around in those days, anyone remember the chap in the Bowler hat he lived in Oswald St, I think he may have been a Booky, and Morice Hindle, he never worked a day in his life, but was very fit, always got around in a vest or T shirt & pumps , had bleach blond hair.

only guy I remember with a bowler hat was the milkman that worked for Jacksonīs farm on Dill Hall Lane....he went around early every morning with the horse and cart - clip cloping along at crack of sparrows......
Old 14-01-2009, 13:29   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rose View Post
only guy I remember with a bowler hat was the milkman that worked for Jacksonīs farm on Dill Hall Lane....he went around early every morning with the horse and cart - clip cloping along at crack of sparrows......
chap i remember with a bowler hat used to be the steward
of the Central Club in accrington used to knock around with a lady with
the dubios name of Titty Best

Old 14-01-2009, 17:16   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
chap i remember with a bowler hat used to be the steward
of the Central Club in accrington used to knock around with a lady with
the dubios name of Titty Best
He wasn't call Armstrong was he beechy, also did the Canine too, can't remember his first name, but he died a few years ago, if its the same one. Ah just remembered he was called Tommy or just Tom, lived in Ossy near me and went in Ossy Con in the years before he died
Old 14-01-2009, 20:31   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
He wasn't call Armstrong was he beechy, also did the Canine too, can't remember his first name, but he died a few years ago, if its the same one. Ah just remembered he was called Tommy or just Tom, lived in Ossy near me and went in Ossy Con in the years before he died
cant say if its the same guy JavaScript,my guy was a good age back in the
early seventies.

Old 15-01-2009, 06:03   #75

Somebody brought up the subject of bus shelters on another thread, but do you remember the old concrete & asbestos half shelters of the 50s & 60s, they wer draughty old buggers, especialy the one outside the Load Of Mischief, waited for the the Blackburn bus more times than I can remember, but the one across from the Load on Whalley Rd, built into the Cambridge Press was great, especialy if you had a girl on your arm, or something. everybody caught buses in them days, not many cars parked outside houses then. Always jumped off the running board befor it stoped outside the CooP butchers. That was another good shelter in the CooP gents outfitters, while waiting for the 6am bus to Whalley, to ge to work at Brockhall for 7am. or I used to get a lift from a bloke who lived in Haslingden, Id wait in the enterance to the Star/Carlton, cinema/pictures.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..