Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2009, 10:52   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Who Remembers.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Somebody brought up the subject of bus shelters on another thread, but do you remember the old concrete & asbestos half shelters of the 50s & 60s, they wer draughty old buggers, especialy the one outside the Load Of Mischief, waited for the the Blackburn bus more times than I can remember, but the one across from the Load on Whalley Rd, built into the Cambridge Press was great, especialy if you had a girl on your arm, or something. everybody caught buses in them days, not many cars parked outside houses then. Always jumped off the running board befor it stoped outside the CooP butchers. That was another good shelter in the CooP gents outfitters, while waiting for the 6am bus to Whalley, to ge to work at Brockhall for 7am. or I used to get a lift from a bloke who lived in Haslingden, Id wait in the enterance to the Star/Carlton, cinema/pictures.
Think one of the best bus shelters was the one at Church Commercial, opposite the Pub, was a wooden shelter set back and quite deep too, certainly kept the wind and rain out whilst you were waiting for the Blackburn bus
Old 15-01-2009, 10:57   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
cant say if its the same guy JavaScript,my guy was a good age back in the
early seventies.
Right beechy, its just that I seem to remember Tommy wearing a Bowler hat. There was another old land lord who always whore a bowler, he was steward at Ossy Con in the sixties and later at the masonic lodge on Albert Street Ossy, he was called Fred Ingham, a real character. after he finish in the trade lived up New Lane in Ossy and drank in the White Bull
Old 15-01-2009, 11:08   #78
Super Moderator

Quote:
Somebody brought up the subject of bus shelters on another thread, but do you remember the old concrete & asbestos half shelters of the 50s & 60s, they wer draughty old buggers, especialy the one outside the Load Of Mischief, waited for the the Blackburn bus more times than I can remember, but the one across from the Load on Whalley Rd, built into the Cambridge Press was great, especialy if you had a girl on your arm, or something. everybody caught buses in them days, not many cars parked outside houses then. Always jumped off the running board befor it stoped outside the CooP butchers. That was another good shelter in the CooP gents outfitters, while waiting for the 6am bus to Whalley, to ge to work at Brockhall for 7am. or I used to get a lift from a bloke who lived in Haslingden, Id wait in the enterance to the Star/Carlton, cinema/pictures.
Buses were just more fun in those days. Jump on the platform as it was pulling out of Peel Street, run up the stairs, collapse and light up a fag, have an argument with the conductor ("if tha's owd enough to smoke, tha's owd enough to pay full fare...") etc etc. One of the best shelters was/is on Manchester Road, at the end of Newton Drive. It was made of solid stone, so it certainly kept the elements out!
Old 15-01-2009, 11:23   #79
Senior Member+

had many a good time keeping warm in the one
at oakleigh top of ribblesdale,always made sure the girlfriend
caught her last bus home
deep dark and secure was the one at the hospital
on whalley road

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 12:10   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
Did you ever put coins on the line?
How big did they get after being run over by the Loco ,and burnt your fingers when you picked them up.
Is the row of houses still there[can,t remember the street name],we had to walk past to get to the 20 steps if you were walking down from Foxhill Bank
Yes the houses are still there. It is called Hill Street. Planning application been put in for a green business park for the land near them.
Puffing Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 17:01   #81
Super Moderator

Another good thing about buses in the old days was the occasional attractive clippie you used to see. There was one flame-haired temptress who used to regularly work the Black Dog-Forts Arms run (route No. 1, as all owd Accringtonians will know). I used to gaze at her longingly as she sashayed up and down the aisle in her black ACT uniform with red trim, although the only conversation I ever managed was, "One to the hospital, please."
Old 15-01-2009, 17:34   #82
Senior Member+

i seem to remember a scandal on the buses
reported non the less in the infamous broad sheet
of the day The News Of The World, the reporter
made his excuses and left..

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 18:12   #83
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Yea chap with the plaster on his nose, pretty sure he lived in Clayton, Dill Hall I think. The blind piano tuner lived on Brisbane St I think, the mack & the suit case, a lot of characters around in those days, anyone remember the chap in the Bowler hat he lived in Oswald St, I think he may have been a Booky, and Morice Hindle, he never worked a day in his life, but was very fit, always got around in a vest or T shirt & pumps , had bleach blond hair.
i remember morice hindle as you say he was as fit as a butchers dog.he used to do a bit of scrap metal the spend what he got on strong ale, i think he was in lodgings at the top of park road accy for a while.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2009, 18:38   #84
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think one of the best bus shelters was the one at Church Commercial, opposite the Pub, was a wooden shelter set back and quite deep too, certainly kept the wind and rain out whilst you were waiting for the Blackburn bus

I waited in the shelter every afternoon when I was at school. It was quite cosy, on cold days, you went to the back and stood behind the adults who kept the wind off you. It even had the public lavatories next door - if needed.

My initials, alongside dozens of others, were scratched (with a pair of compasses) into the back wall of that shelter.
Old 15-01-2009, 23:15   #85
Senior Member+

Going back to the man with no nose. I remember him walking on Lower Antley Street when I was a kid. He was often along there and my Nana told me not to look. Her explanation was that he stuck his nose into a flower and the pollen ate it away.

The things she told me and I still can't bring myself to cut my nails on Friday and Sunday!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 04:52   #86
Senior Member+

The oldest person I remember wandering around Accy was a tramp called Tommy Ent? Another thing I remember as a kid was having to take every bodies unwanted/old pet to the gas chamber at the back of the cop shop on Manchester Rd. Not a nice job.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 05:12   #87

Yea I agree with the one at Oakleigh, another in Clayton was by the old Council yard on Whalley road ( is the yard still used ) and the other on Sparth road near the junction of Whalley Rd.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2009, 16:34   #88
Resting in Peace

Anybody remember Dick Gogh, used to go on Church Cricket Club every home match, he was the first bloke I ever heard heckling the players Umpire or anybody else who'd listen, he was a real character
Old 18-01-2009, 12:06   #89
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Anybody remember Dick Gogh, used to go on Church Cricket Club every home match, he was the first bloke I ever heard heckling the players Umpire or anybody else who'd listen, he was a real character

Was he worst than Johnny Walker???...Mind you, Johnny used to do all his Whinging in the Bar!!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 10:12   #90
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Was he worst than Johnny Walker???...Mind you, Johnny used to do all his Whinging in the Bar!!!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Johnny was one on his own, used to travel round watching Lancashire as well as Church, his partner in crime was Chris Metcalf, both are sadly no longer with use. Chris was also a very good Umpire, officiated in the Ribbledale League for years after he stopped playing for Ossy Immanuel. Gogh was just a loud mouth, you knew when he had arrive in the Ground, screams of ged um hit echoed round the ground

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..