Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2009, 11:50   #91
Senior Member+

Re: Who Remembers.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Johnny was one on his own, used to travel round watching Lancashire as well as Church, his partner in crime was Chris Metcalf, both are sadly no longer with use. Chris was also a very good Umpire, officiated in the Ribbledale League for years after he stopped playing for Ossy Immanuel. Gogh was just a loud mouth, you knew when he had arrive in the Ground, screams of ged um hit echoed round the ground
Yep, i knew Johnny well. Once went on Hols to Mallorca with him....Beers at 9.30 am were a bit much for me though!! Lol!! Thing is with John, he used to go all over with the Cricket, as you say, but he never actually saw much...he was always in the bar!!...I once remember seeing him in Barnes St Chippy many years ago, he was getting his supper, and reading the Sports Pink....to check the scores of a match he had been too!!!! Ha Ha! Was Chris Metcalf related to Reg Metcalf?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2009, 16:38   #92
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yep, i knew Johnny well. Once went on Hols to Mallorca with him....Beers at 9.30 am were a bit much for me though!! Lol!! Thing is with John, he used to go all over with the Cricket, as you say, but he never actually saw much...he was always in the bar!!...I once remember seeing him in Barnes St Chippy many years ago, he was getting his supper, and reading the Sports Pink....to check the scores of a match he had been too!!!! Ha Ha! Was Chris Metcalf related to Reg Metcalf?

Best Regards - Taggy
No don't think so Taggy, Chris was the elder brother of Steve and Gerrard who both played for Church and Immanuel, well Gerrard still does for that matter, was captain last year at Immanuel. Reg was related to Stuart Metcalf who used to play for the Rovers, can remember seeing bother Reg and Stuart at Tony Metcalfe funeral a few years ago, Tony was a mate of mine, I played pool with him in the 80s
Old 20-01-2009, 10:57   #93

Yes and he always had shiny shoes Tommy Entwistle
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 11:04   #94

Yes and i could tell you all about that plus lots more.
Old 20-01-2009, 11:29   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
i seem to remember a scandal on the buses
reported non the less in the infamous broad sheet
of the day The News Of The World, the reporter
made his excuses and left..
Yes beechy and i could tell you a lot about that when the canteen was over the top of Burtons .
Old 20-01-2009, 12:04   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
No don't think so Taggy, Chris was the elder brother of Steve and Gerrard who both played for Church and Immanuel, well Gerrard still does for that matter, was captain last year at Immanuel. Reg was related to Stuart Metcalf who used to play for the Rovers, can remember seeing bother Reg and Stuart at Tony Metcalfe funeral a few years ago, Tony was a mate of mine, I played pool with him in the 80s
Small World Jaysay...i was at Tonys Funeral too! Knew him well, used to play Pool with him too! I know Caroline well (Tonys Partner at the time) Barrys ex-missus. I was actually the first person to Ring Reg after Tony had died. Saw Ted (Forget last name) one of Tony and Reg's mates in the Hare and Hounds about 6 months back, its still his local. I can recall shutting my eyes more than once, being driven back from a Pool Match by Tony...he was a nutter behind the wheel! Reg could Sup anyone under the table!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 16:56   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Small World Jaysay...i was at Tony's Funeral too! Knew him well, used to play Pool with him too! I know Caroline well (Tonys Partner at the time) Barrys ex-missus. I was actually the first person to Ring Reg after Tony had died. Saw Ted (Forget last name) one of Tony and Reg's mates in the Hare and Hounds about 6 months back, its still his local. I can recall shutting my eyes more than once, being driven back from a Pool Match by Tony...he was a nutter behind the wheel! Reg could Sup anyone under the table!

Best Regards - Taggy
Tony was living in Burnley when he got together with Caroline he signed on to play for the Dragoon. Tony suffered with asthma like myself, and in those days if I was admitted to hospital I was always in Marsden hospital in Burnley, Tony and Caroline came to visit me on a few occasions. I think it was complications with Asthma drugs which killed him, was a tragedy he was an ace guy
Old 21-01-2009, 04:54   #98

So what was the scandal about,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 18:20   #99
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

The market.....Scan0001.jpg, I think this one is better than the one we have now!, used to always get me toffees and fags from the kiosk
Old 28-01-2009, 18:47   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
So what was the scandal about,
ooooooh cant put that on here dont fancy jail
Old 29-01-2009, 12:06   #101
Senior Member+

the little wooden hut at the bottom of
Oak St twas a paper shop in my day i think
the owner was called Taylor

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 16:32   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I can remember that beechy, is it still there, I haven't been in Accy for years
Old 30-01-2009, 13:32   #103

Quote:
I can remember that beechy, is it still there, I haven't been in Accy for years
No not there anymore John there are gardens there now Garth Dawson i seem to remember had a little wood hut across road as well .
Old 30-01-2009, 17:35   #104
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
when was this?, I dont remember , anyone got a pic?
Old 30-01-2009, 19:19   #105
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
when was this?, I dont remember , anyone got a pic?
certainly in the sixties and in to the seventies

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..