Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 20:55   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Who Remembers.......

.......when Moscow Mill was a working cotton mill and St Mary's School was opposite - next to the T A barracks? When Stanhill Ring Spinning Mill and its chimney dominated the West End skyline? When steam trains pulled into Accrington station? When Thwaites Road was an isolated link between West End and Oswaldtwistle? When every stone-built building in Accrington was jet black from industrial pollution? When Boots and Woolworth's had counters with girls behind them taking the money? When nearly every street corner had a shop? When Accrington market was, mostly, in the open air and a pair of "nylons" cost 1/11d? When trams went from Blackburn to Church Commercial and the pantographs had to be changed over by the driver or conductor with a very long pole? When barges full of coal still worked the Leeds-Liverpool canal?

Well you must be bloody old then, like me.
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2008, 21:12   #2
God Member

Re: Who Remembers.......

I was surprised when I started looking into it that St Mary's had only just moved when I went there - I didn't realise how new it was when I was there.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 21:17   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
.......when Moscow Mill was a working cotton mill and St Mary's School was opposite - next to the T A barracks? When Stanhill Ring Spinning Mill and its chimney dominated the West End skyline? When steam trains pulled into Accrington station? When Thwaites Road was an isolated link between West End and Oswaldtwistle? When every stone-built building in Accrington was jet black from industrial pollution? When Boots and Woolworth's had counters with girls behind them taking the money? When nearly every street corner had a shop? When Accrington market was, mostly, in the open air and a pair of "nylons" cost 1/11d? When trams went from Blackburn to Church Commercial and the pantographs had to be changed over by the driver or conductor with a very long pole? When barges full of coal still worked the Leeds-Liverpool canal?

Sorry, Westender. I don't remember any of that.

You've made me feel quite young now, thanks.
Old 02-09-2008, 21:21   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

theres only 1 thing on it i can't remember n thats cos i lived in accy when young.
Old 02-09-2008, 23:00   #5
God Member

Quote:

I am....I remember all of that...mixed, mild and bitter cost 1/10p 1/11p and two bob a pint....that is 8p, 9p and 10p...in today's Micky mouse money....5 gallons of petrol for £1....The economy now is worse than I'ts ever been.....The pound is taking a severe bashing against the Euro...thanks to the rantings of Darling...which makes my pension 20% less than what it was............and we complain, but no-one takes a blind bit of notice.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 23:05   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The pound is taking a severe bashing against the Euro...thanks to the rantings of Darling...which makes my pension 20% less than what it was............
You made your sun lounger now you will have to lie in the sun on it

You could always move back to the UK and get a 20% increase in your pension.
Old 02-09-2008, 23:18   #7
God Member

Quote:
.......When Boots and Woolworth's had counters with girls behind them taking the money?
Seem to remember Woolworths and Boots putting their best looking girls on the cosmetics counters ,
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 23:26   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Seem to remember Woolworths and Boots putting their best looking girls on the cosmetics counters ,
ya just reminded me of one i used to go out with in blackburn woolies (cosmetics) mate so i dispute that.
Old 02-09-2008, 23:33   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You made your sun lounger now you will have to lie in the sun on it

You could always move back to the UK and get a 20% increase in your pension.
Not on your nelly............If I moved back to the UK I would be subjected to all all sorts of hidden extras....like Council Tax,,,,TV Licence...Water Rates.....wanting to know what I was doing 24/7....My sun lounger has been in action today 30 degrees....that is bloody hot.
I can enjoy a smoke in the bars and dont have to pander to anyone.
I complain..as is my right..but I am happy with my lot...I have a flat overlooking the Med and wake up in the morning to constant sunshine.
What is your experience of waking up in Ossy?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 00:32   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
What is your experience of waking up in Ossy?
Ossy is fine mate and just about far enough from Darwen
Old 03-09-2008, 20:38   #11
God Member

Quote:

Errrrr NO.............sorry
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 18:33   #12
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I remember when woollies used to be a L shape and have exits where farm foods is now
Old 06-09-2008, 18:34   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I remember when woollies used to be a L shape and have exits where farm foods is now
lol, deja vu....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 19:11   #14
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Who Remembers.......

Went to St Mary's school when it was on Moscow Mill Street. I remember Mr Vandome a s the headmaster ( One of the best I ever had). Used to run to Accy station to try and see the "Namer " at about 5.30. Beer at at about 2/- a pint at the Tanpits Inn at Church. Many more memories. Happy days!!
kitweman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 20:06   #15
Resident Waffler

I knew Mr. Vandome as a bank customer. Really nice man.

I remember Woollies before it was on Broadway, those counter which had the servers in the middle. Does anybody else remember the peanut roasting machine they had? Mmmm hot roasted salted peanuts in a paper bag with all the grease coming through the paper onto your hands!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..