Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 18:08   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Who Remembers This?

Basically it was a leaflet that said,'if the worst happens kiss your backside goodbye'.

Protect and Survive

Though I must admit, in the original leaflet pushed through the door, there was information saying not to expect buses to be running once you came out of your shelter, but, joy of Joy's, full time employment, squads of us would be assigned to fly swatting duties.

Weren't you glad when this leaflet dropped through your letterbox?

At least you'd have an extra piece of paper to wipe your arse on during the fortnight you were entombed, ha, a fortnight? They just wanted us to dig our own graves!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2013, 18:35   #2
I am Banned

Re: Who Remembers This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Basically it was a leaflet that said,'if the worst happens kiss your backside goodbye'.

Protect and Survive

Though I must admit, in the original leaflet pushed through the door, there was information saying not to expect buses to be running once you came out of your shelter, but, joy of Joy's, full time employment, squads of us would be assigned to fly swatting duties.

Weren't you glad when this leaflet dropped through your letterbox?

At least you'd have an extra piece of paper to wipe your arse on during the fortnight you were entombed, ha, a fortnight? They just wanted us to dig our own graves!
We had all sorts of lectures on that subject when I was in the Fir Brigadee, we even had a gadget on the control room wall which we had to test aout 4 times a day, if the signal was steady everything was ok, all those green Godesses & AFS were part of the system.
One officer (a right clever beggar) was telling us how we would be deployed in the event of a nuclear attack, he saw me shaking my head, and said what would you do then, I told him I would sod off home & protect my own as long as I could. every thing else would be a waste of time and effort.
Less and Eric like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 18:42   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Luckily the late wife used to bin all the garbage,before i came home from work, so never even was aware of it.
Old 03-10-2013, 19:25   #4
Senior Member+

I don't remember anyone worrying about a nuclear attack or even discussing it.
And yet it was a very real possibility! Did we just accept that if it came we were all dead but what could we do about it?
As for living behind two sloping doors for 14 days- how hopelessly unprepared we were.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 20:07   #5
God Member

I think I still have a copy somewhere - I could probably sell it on ebay .
...not that I had any intention of using the advice in it - just kept it for nostalgic reasons.

That doom cartoon 'When the Wind Blows' had some of its animators commit suicide.
When the Wind Blows Protect and Survive

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:02   #6

One house we lived in had a cellar. The previous owners had bricked it up at one end and stored gallons of water behind the wall. I can only presume it was for such an attack. The water's probably still there because I couldn't be bothered to move it.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:23   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Marvellous innit? Considering you'd only get a 4 minute warning of an imminent attack. It wouldn't give you much time to schlepp all the gubbins you need into place really.
Old 04-10-2013, 17:35   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Marvellous innit? Considering you'd only get a 4 minute warning of an imminent attack. It wouldn't give you much time to schlepp all the gubbins you need into place really.
And what about all that ale in the fridge
Old 04-10-2013, 17:45   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Not only that, what if you rent the place and your Landlord survives?

You are relieved because the worst you do nowadays is glow slightly in the permanent winter.

However, as soon as civilization takes a hold once more, you get an envelope through the hole were the door with the letterbox used to be, telling you you are being prosecuted for damaging his property!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 17:40   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
It took almost that long to remember where your NBC kit was and then put it on - did work out that you could smoke a cigarette using the drinking tube
Old 07-10-2013, 18:27   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
It took almost that long to remember where your NBC kit was and then put it on - did work out that you could smoke a cigarette using the drinking tube
Typical Crab! Believe me, we knew exactly were it was, we'd spend most of the exercise wearing it.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:02   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Typical Crab! Believe me, we knew exactly were it was, we'd spend most of the exercise wearing it.
You probably looked like a refugee from the Black & White Minstrel Show when the activated charcoal filtered through the lining

Spent many hours every day in them during Gulf 1, bit of a problem when the temp was in the 40s

Last edited by Barrie Yates; 09-10-2013 at 09:05.
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:06   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Spent many hours every day in them during Gulf 1, bit of a problem when the temp was in the 40s
Tell me about it! And because you crabs have got crappy ozone unfriendly helicopters pumping out fumes all over the shop, the soddin' NAIAD kept kicking off! In the end I slung the gasperator & declared my panzer & scratcher a "Nuclear free zone".
Old 10-10-2013, 13:15   #14
God Member

Quote:
I remember having a discussion ... this would be back in the 60s ... with some dude in a pub, about the 4 minute warning ... we were both half-cut, at least; but I do remember the conclusion was that by the time the info from those who detected incoming nukes had gone thru the system and reached the guys who actually operated the sirens, the shiite would have already hit the fan. All that was, and perhaps still is, needed would be the advice: "Prepare to evacuate"

Me, I'd load my guns, and hang out for a bit, see how bad things were; and if it got too bad I'd off my critters, drink all my booze, smoke all my dope, and blow out what's left of my brain cells.
As a species, we ain't really all that important. We won't be missed. In fact, the planet, once it has recovered from the mess we have made of it, will probably be better off without us.

Since the end of the Cold War, we seem to have forgotten the threat of nuclear war ... I'm sorry folks, but it's still there, and so are most of the nukes. Think of this: many of the yanks in the missile silos are probably wacked out on some kind of dope .... many of their Russian counterparts are already into their second bottle of vodka when they show up for work. Let's ponder that as we worry about Iran, North Korea, India, Pakistan, Israel ..................
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 17:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I remember having a discussion ... this would be back in the 60s ... with some dude in a pub, about the 4 minute warning ... we were both half-cut, at least; but I do remember the conclusion was that by the time the info from those who detected incoming nukes had gone thru the system and reached the guys who actually operated the sirens, the shiite would have already hit the fan. All that was, and perhaps still is, needed would be the advice: "Prepare to evacuate"

Me, I'd load my guns, and hang out for a bit, see how bad things were; and if it got too bad I'd off my critters, drink all my booze, smoke all my dope, and blow out what's left of my brain cells.
As a species, we ain't really all that important. We won't be missed. In fact, the planet, once it has recovered from the mess we have made of it, will probably be better off without us.

Since the end of the Cold War, we seem to have forgotten the threat of nuclear war ... I'm sorry folks, but it's still there, and so are most of the nukes. Think of this: many of the yanks in the missile silos are probably wacked out on some kind of dope .... many of their Russian counterparts are already into their second bottle of vodka when they show up for work. Let's ponder that as we worry about Iran, North Korea, India, Pakistan, Israel ..................
Plus the one's the Russians have lost?????
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..