Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2009, 23:17   #1

Winter of 1963

I was talking to my wife today about Winters when we were kids. The best by far was 1963. I tell the lie that it started in November and snowed every day until the beginning of June!!!! Well it felt like that! I'm sure there are lots of you who remember it or have been told stories about it by your folks! I remember walking all around the top road before the gritter had got to it. Up Willows lane from Pendle St. all the way through Green Howarth, all the way round to Ossy, fantastic, the sky was crystal clear, no sound except us kids!!! Happy cold days!!
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-05-2009, 23:31   #2
God Member

Re: Winter of 1963

Winter of 1962–1963 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember - had an outside loo and a steep backyard - hubby carrying chamberpot slipped and drenched himself

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 04:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Winter of 1962–1963 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember - had an outside loo and a steep backyard - hubby carrying chamberpot slipped and drenched himself
I don,t think Fresh Air Freddy would be OUT in that weather!
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 09:04   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
I don,t think Fresh Air Freddy would be OUT in that weather!
Fresh Air Freddy the Phantom Flasher quite a guy was our Freddy, he had the police on the hop alright, can remember two plain cloths police women walking the streets of Ossy trying to catch this chap, still can't remember if they ever did catch him or not
Old 31-05-2009, 09:10   #5
Resting in Peace

I remember the winter of 63, was my first when I left school, remember working on the new shops on Union Street Accy, my first job every morning was to make a fire so that all the lads could have a warm, it was real tatas that winter, defiantly 3 sweaters time
Old 31-05-2009, 13:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Fresh Air Freddy the Phantom Flasher quite a guy was our Freddy, he had the police on the hop alright, can remember two plain cloths police women walking the streets of Ossy trying to catch this chap, still can't remember if they ever did catch him or not
Rumour had it that he flashed an old dear,who remarked that,

IT LOOKED LIKE A PENIS, ONLY SMALLER.

Maybe he gave it away after that
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 00:11   #7
Junior Member+

I remember the winter of 1963 very well. I was expecting my first child and while everybody else seemed to be freezing I was lovely and warm. We used to go on walks round the dunkenhalgh , me as big as a house and my hubby trying to stop me from falling. Lovely times
joan walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:16   #8

1963 I was an apprentice plumber and I spent 3 months repairing lead pipes in those outside loo's was that a miss spent youth
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:10   #9

I remember that winter , tho not till February 64 when I returned from Cyprus. Out of the warm into the white world of the UK. After being away for 2 1/2 years in the sunshine, was a shock to my system and thought I would never be warm again !!My kids loved it despite being made to wear coats and boots , hats etc. Nothing like pelting dad and grand dad with snowballs for them !
The Blue Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 20:40   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

In 1963 the 7.26 a.m. steam train from Accrington to Bury (then Manchester) came to a standstill just about every morning for 2 months. It was usually about Ramsbottom, nothing but banks of snow on either side of the track, like being in a white tunnel. It might be anything from 15 minutes to two hours and the carriages were never heated.

Not as bad as 1947 when there was a massive shortage of coal as well as the bad snow and there were regular power cuts. I was only 4, though, so I didn't have to catch trains then.
Old 22-11-2010, 19:39   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was n apprentice butcher in 63, Slingers at Load Of Mischief, the late Harry Hawkins learnt me to play poker, along wi Bob Fletcher who is now a well known lakeland artist, was a pig of a winter, me n Darwendosser used to go to Chans Chippy every friday Teatime fer fish n chips fer all the butchers, who worked while 8-00, that was yer overtime. so as well as freezing ya got sod all fer it.
Old 22-11-2010, 20:51   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was n apprentice butcher in 63, Slingers at Load Of Mischief, the late Harry Hawkins learnt me to play poker, along wi Bob Fletcher who is now a well known lakeland artist, was a pig of a winter, me n Darwendosser used to go to Chans Chippy every friday Teatime fer fish n chips fer all the butchers, who worked while 8-00, that was yer overtime. so as well as freezing ya got sod all fer it.
I knew a Harry Hawkins, went to Woodnook Council School, was a butcher at Kemp & Murrays on the corner of Wellington St.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 21:08   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I knew a Harry Hawkins, went to Woodnook Council School, was a butcher at Kemp & Murrays on the corner of Wellington St.

Retlaw.
If he was a rather large fellow, ginger hair wi a large alcohol intake, twas the same one, loved the geezer.
Old 22-11-2010, 21:47   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
If he was a rather large fellow, ginger hair wi a large alcohol intake, twas the same one, loved the geezer.
Thats him.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 09:22   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
was n apprentice butcher in 63, Slingers at Load Of Mischief, the late Harry Hawkins learnt me to play poker, along with Bob Fletcher who is now a well known lakeland artist, was a pig of a winter, me n Darwendosser used to go to Chans Chippy every friday Teatime fer fish n chips fer all the butchers, who worked while 8-00, that was yer overtime. so as well as freezing ya got sod all fer it.
That was my first winter in the building trade was working on the new Shops on Union Street in Accy, the main contractors were Mullen and Durkin from Dingle Land and Townley's from Accy did all the joinery, was my task first thing to light the fire in an oil drum so it would be warm for brew time

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..