Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2009, 22:31   #1

Working Mens Clubs

Is the Old Band Club still there, not sure what street "there" is but I remember it was bloody steep just as you came out the front door! My Dad, Donald Mackey, was father Christmas there for years! It was only when I was about 20 that it dawned on me who it was!!!! I used to go there with Mum and Dad to watch the "turns" they used to be on in the snooker room and we sat around the snooker tables, class or what????
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2009, 22:38   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Working Mens Clubs

Victoria street, known as factory bottom, not sure if its still going gdm27, aint been yon way fer about 15 years, was me mates local, then he moved away. door to get in though was Carter St.

Last edited by cashman; 17-05-2009 at 22:43.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 09:31   #3
Senior Member+

The Old Band Club closed down about 3 or 4 years ago. I may be wrong on the year. Still empty as far as I know.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 09:52   #4
Super Moderator

That's a shame...another Accy institution gone. Used to enjoy a few beers in there, although Carter Street could be a bit hazardous in winter, especially after six brown-and-bitter splits!

My regular was the Willow Mount, just round the corner from our house. Often started the evening with a couple of pints in there, before heading off downtown!
Old 18-05-2009, 10:11   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
That's a shame...another Accy institution gone. Used to enjoy a few beers in there, although Carter Street could be a bit hazardous in winter, especially after six brown-and-bitter splits!

My regular was the Willow Mount, just round the corner from our house. Often started the evening with a couple of pints in there, before heading off downtown!
Hazardous is right. If I remember right there used to be like a banister you could grab hold of on Carter St to stop you slipping. It came in useful after a couple of pints.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 10:21   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Hazardous is right. If I remember right there used to be like a banister you could grab hold of on Carter St to stop you slipping. It came in useful after a couple of pints.
Yep, that's right, there was, Bernard...along with deep grooves in the pavement to stop you slipping...didn't always do the trick, though!
Old 18-05-2009, 10:26   #7
Senior Member+

The Willow Mount is still open...in fact it doesn't look likes its changed much over the years. Was in a few months back. They still have acts on both Fri and Sat, it wasn't very busy when i was in, but good to see that they are still putting "turns" on.....they do still have Bingo however!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 10:47   #8
Super Moderator

I'll have to pop into the old place one of these days when I'm over...if they let me in! Went in hundreds of time in the 70's without ever joining, but maybe they're stricter now!
Old 18-05-2009, 11:35   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

doubt it wyn, but if anyone says owt, just say yer in to see barry, works behind bar, mate of mine.
Old 18-05-2009, 12:40   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
doubt it wyn, but if anyone says owt, just say yer in to see barry, works behind bar, mate of mine.
Right, cheers, Mr C, will do!
Old 18-05-2009, 13:18   #11
God Member

Am I right in saying that the CIU was originally set up by some vicar as an association of temperance clubs?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 15:34   #12

Rather oddly they were invented down South but didn't sell beer and in fact were supposed to tempt people out of the pub
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 15:49   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
and in fact were supposed to tempt people out of the pub
...and quite right too. Filthy, sordid places ful of ne'er-do-wells!
Old 18-05-2009, 17:56   #14
Senior Member+

Originally Posted by wadey View Post
and in fact were supposed to tempt people out of the pub

this has now been accomplished by the no smoking laws

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 18:40   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I'll have to pop into the old place one of these days when I'm over...if they let me in! Went in hundreds of time in the 70's without ever joining, but maybe they're stricter now!
Nobody questioned us gang of riotous pensioners on Saturday night Wynonie ... nobody on the door at all. Was fairly quiet I'm afraid.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..