Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2011, 10:32   #1

Xmas memories

My neighbour has just given me an enormous basket full of oranges, lemons and tangerines and it has brought back memories of Christmases in Ossie a long time ago.
My mum always bought oranges, dates, nuts and tangerines ( only at Christmas)
and I think pomagranates.
Is there some kind of meaning to eating these fruits at Christmas.
I do remember my grandfather telling tales of his Christmases when he received an apple and an orange in a sock hung up on the fireplace.
I'll take the opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2012
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-12-2011, 10:56   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Xmas memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Is there some kind of meaning to eating these fruits at Christmas.
Yeah there's not a lot else about. Try getting strawberries - well you can now but you couldn't years ago. It's called seasonality.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 11:05   #3
Beacon of light

Yes we knew it was Christmas because that was the only time you saw Tangerines(as they were called way back then) no such thing as satsumas, clementines...they were tangerines......wrapped in either tissue paper or purple foil.
I always felt special if I got a foil wrapped one in my stocking....pomegranites too were only seen at Christmas. We would sit for hours with half a pomegranite and a pin, getting all those lovely sweet seeds out....and trying to avoid the bitter yellow pith/skin.

Another tradition at our house was what my father called a 'damp glass'.......with our Christmas meal we got a very small galss(maybe a liquer glass) with maybe a dessertspoon of wine in it and the same amount of water........and once that was quaffed(the boys used to 'neck' it in one gulp) we had a glass of non alcoholic port wine Cordial(bought at Veevers in Peel St.)...they also did port wine jellies too. This was something else that you only ever saw at Christmas. I used to love the Port Wine cordial.......I liked it hot with a slice of orange floating on top.........daft as it might sound, and poor as we were, it made me feel sophisticated...or posh, as we called it back then.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 04:25   #4

What were the ones called, they were chocolate segments, in the shape of oranges, made by Terry's I think, Woolies over here have got an English section now, you can buy Picallily, Ambrosia rice pud, Fray Bentos Stk & Kid pie, etc all sorts of stuff, but its very pricey.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 07:24   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
What were the ones called, they were chocolate segments, in the shape of oranges, made by Terry's I think, Woolies over here have got an English section now, you can buy Picallily, Ambrosia rice pud, Fray Bentos Stk & Kid pie, etc all sorts of stuff, but its very pricey.
Strangely enough they were/still are called Terry's Chocolate Oranges!

Can't get 'em in Italy either - which is a shame. Can't get Fray Bentos pies either - which isn't!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 09:13   #6
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I think the orange thing is something to do with "Christkindl" (Kris Kringle), an Orange, Cloves, red ribbon wrapped around it & possibly Cinnamon, it's all to do with some religious context, being the heathen that I am I really couldn't tell you much more, but in certain areas of Germany it's all still very relevant.
Old 24-12-2011, 09:27   #7
JCB

Christingle ?

Children's Charity & Child Support From The Children's Society | Kids Charity & Children's Charities In UK | The Children's Society
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 10:30   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Christingle ?
Usually an Advent celebration. The candle came before the orange:

A Christingle is a symbolic object, related to the pomander, used in the advent services of many Christian denominations. It has its origins in the Moravian Church.
At Christmas 1747, Germany, Bishop Johannes de Watteville thought about how he could explain the love of Jesus to everyone, and what Christmas really meant to the children in the church. He decided to make a simple symbol to express the message of Christmas in a fresh and lively way. Pastor Johannes de Watteville gave each child a lighted candle wrapped in a red ribbon, with a prayer that said "Lord Jesus, kindle a flame in these dear children's hearts". This was the first .
Many years later, in 1968, John Pensom of The Children's Society introduced Christingle services to the Anglican Church, where the custom spread quickly. It is celebrated sometime around Christmas. Various hymns about Christingle include: The Christingle begins with an orange, We haven't come far and When the frost turns the berries red.[1]
The story of the Christingle is that there were three children, who were very poor, but wanted to give a gift to Jesus, like the other families at church were doing. The only nice thing they had was an orange, so they decided to give him that. The top was going slightly green, so the eldest cut it out, and put a candle in the hole. They thought it looked dull, so the youngest girl took her best red ribbon from her hair and attached it round the middle with toothpicks. The middle child had the idea to put a few pieces of dried fruit on the ends of the sticks. They took it to the church for the Christmas mass, and whereas the other children sneered at their meager gift, the priest took their gift and showed it as an example of true understanding of the meanings of Christmas.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..