Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   I have the power!! Well actually I dont goddamit (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/i-have-the-power-well-actually-i-dont-goddamit-43084.html)

onlyme 06-10-2008 06:45

I have the power!! Well actually I dont goddamit

Hiya

I have a laptop and for a couple of weeks, getting power into the thing has been a problem and involves twiddling my lead about a bit before it works. More recently even when power is going in, it gives enough to run it, but not enough to recharge the battery.

Now I cannot get any power in it whatsoever. Not sure if its the power lead or the actual sockety bit on the laptop, cant find any signs of physical problems on either.

Any ideas? I desperately need my machine.....

derekgas 06-10-2008 06:54

Re: I have the power!! Well actually I dont goddamit

There is a kit you can buy to charge it in the car, that will tell you if the lead is the problem, and means you can charge the computer in the car if you use it so much, I have a number for a guy who has loads of spares, (in fact he has 78 laptops just in 1 room at home), he repairs and sells laptops, pm if you need his number.

Retlaw 06-10-2008 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyme (Post 638400)
Hiya

I have a laptop and for a couple of weeks, getting power into the thing has been a problem and involves twiddling my lead about a bit before it works. More recently even when power is going in, it gives enough to run it, but not enough to recharge the battery.

Now I cannot get any power in it whatsoever. Not sure if its the power lead or the actual sockety bit on the laptop, cant find any signs of physical problems on either.

Any ideas? I desperately need my machine.....

Sounds like the cable coming out of your power adaptor has a broken lead, I've had to repair two of these for my daughters, one was for a mobile phone recharger, looks like the wire has been kinked to much.

Dereks suggestion about an in car cigarette lighter adaptor, would prove it one way or the other. If it works in the lighter socket, then you could get a new mains charger from Maplin in Blackburn, just make sure its the correct V & A output.

Retlaw.

Neil 06-10-2008 20:34

I would try and borrow a power adapter of someone with the same laptop just to try it. You might find it is not the lead but the socket on the laptop. These go iffy as well with abuse.

lancsdave 06-10-2008 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 638691)
I would try and borrow a power adapter of someone with the same laptop just to try it. You might find it is not the lead but the socket on the laptop. These go iffy as well with abuse.

Yep, dodgy socket is common. Trouble is some of them are clipped in and some are soldered.

Neil 06-10-2008 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 638692)
Yep, dodgy socket is common. Trouble is some of them are clipped in and some are soldered.

I know someone who ended up with a short wire and a line socket soldered to the laptop motherboard because he could not find a replacement socket that would fit the space in the laptop

onlyme 07-10-2008 06:48

cant see any visible damage to either. i know my last laptop had the same thing happen, but you could feel the heat at the back of the laptop, which isnt happening this time.

Cant really afford to buy things to try it out at the mo, but thanks for sugeestions x

derekgas 07-10-2008 06:58

Give the make and model here onlyme, maybe someone has the same laptop, if all else fails, I have a car charger which adapts to most laptops, we use it daily, but I can try it for you to test what the problem may be!

mez 07-10-2008 07:20

nip to my house nicky & try my lead

emzy 07-10-2008 09:36

Hiya

Its a HP NX6325 if that helps?

Cheers folks (from a disguised onlyme ;))

derekgas 07-10-2008 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 638903)
Hiya

Its a HP NX6325 if that helps?

Cheers folks (from a disguised onlyme ;))

One of our laptops is a hp, it says 530 on it though, but ya welcome to try it!

emzy 07-10-2008 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 639109)
One of our laptops is a hp, it says 530 on it though, but ya welcome to try it!

I have her laptop at my house at the mo, any chance I can give it a try?

derekgas 07-10-2008 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 639125)
I have her laptop at my house at the mo, any chance I can give it a try?

Course ya can, you will have to call, or wait until scruff gets out the bath though, lol

emzy 07-10-2008 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 639129)
Course ya can, you will have to call, or wait until scruff gets out the bath though, lol

Do you have it with you now?

derekgas 07-10-2008 19:49

Yes, is plugged into the computer, haha!