Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   Pc Problem (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/pc-problem-43205.html)

Owd Bert 12-10-2008 17:13

Pc Problem

System Upgrade message popped up the other night. Started it and then it said could not complete and suggested I remove what had been downloaded. This I did and since then have not been able to get a Web Page or Email.

Let me explain how I am sending this cry for help.

We have two PC`s which are networked with a cable as they are only a couple of feet apart. Mine is the host and connected to ISP and of course has to be on for the other to go on line.

As stated I cannot get on line but the othe one is OK and I am using it now. The link through the system must be OK but I cannot get anything from the internet on my screen. Other progs work OK.

Any suggestions ?

To Mick -- couldn`t find the Techy Section -- is it still on ?

Owdbert.

entwisi 12-10-2008 20:10

Re: Pc Problem

Its likely to just be DNS thats broken

I seem to recall Windows XP systems having an issue with DNS after the last big Service Pack. SP3 has just started being released so its likely to be that.try putting 64.233.187.99 in your browser instead of google.com if it works (i.e. it brings up a google page) then its definately DNS.

Neil 12-10-2008 21:06

Don't start the what is google's ip debate again ;) :D

jaysay 13-10-2008 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 640651)
Don't start the what is google's ip debate again ;) :D

Whats google ip:D

Neil 13-10-2008 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 640733)
Whats google ip:D

Depends where you are and when you ping it. Google has several IP addresses - now stop being awkward :p

jaysay 13-10-2008 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 640735)
Depends where you are and when you ping it. Google has several IP addresses - now stop being awkward :p

Why you know you like me being awkward:gooddog::D

Owd Bert 13-10-2008 18:44

Hi Entwisi -- yes, its DNS --- but what do I do about it ? Hope you have some idea what this DNS means. If not can you reccomend someone I can contact. Bert.

entwisi 13-10-2008 19:30

Posted via Mobile Device

DNS is like a telephone directory for converting human friendly web addresses into numbers that computers like.

I would recommend using open dns instead of that supplied by your ISP anyway.

Http://opendns.org iirc, if not google it from your working pc as i'm on my phone at the minute.

Owd Bert 14-10-2008 11:36

Not getting anywhere with DNS so I will just ask one more question and then not bother you again. I have done a dignostic test and it tells me I have an invalid IP address and gives correct one but I don`t know where to go to enter this IP number. Hope you can tell me. If not then thanks for responding to my query.

entwisi 14-10-2008 15:57

can you open a MS DOS box and type

ipconfig /all

and post the results.

You should have 2 IPs based on how you have described your setup,

one is your modem which is effectively your IP address on teh Internet, the other is a local IP. In windows this has to be 192.168.0.1 for Internet connection sahring to work.

The output of teh above command will tell us what its being set to and why its broken. We can then also explain in steps how to fix it