Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   Computer cleaning (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/computer-cleaning-48675.html)

godfrey 05-08-2009 12:14

Computer cleaning

I need to clean my laptop & desktops; screens mainly but also the covers. I haven't found a local shop that sells a cleaning kit yet but know I can buy online in a variety of pack sizes from £5 to £30.

Are there products that I can buy separately like lint-free wipes, air spray, cleaning spray & where? What do the professionals use?

Thanks,
Godfrey

entwisi 05-08-2009 12:31

Re: Computer cleaning

Posted via Mobile Device
Screens and cases come up lovely with baby wipes and dried with a chamois leather. Cpc do cans of compressed air.

Mick 06-08-2009 05:10

You can get all the cleaning stuff at Maplins too
There is a Branch in Blackburn

***Mr D*** 06-08-2009 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 733640)
Posted via Mobile Device
Screens and cases come up lovely with baby wipes and dried with a chamois leather. Cpc do cans of compressed air.

Does this work with LCD screens? I got some "Special plastic Wipes" from Maplins when someone desided to draw on it with pen, didnt work in the end had to use isopropyl alcohol which worked a treat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 733757)
You can get all the cleaning stuff at Maplins too
There is a Branch in Blackburn

Good store for all kinds of bits, that compressed air is expensive though IMO.

shillelagh 07-08-2009 00:54

to clean my screen i use the same stuff i use to clean my glasses get it from the opticians ...

Mick 07-08-2009 05:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** (Post 733945)

Good store for all kinds of bits, that compressed air is expensive though IMO.

I agree it is an expensive shop but do have a lot of stuff and do deliver

mattylad 07-08-2009 09:02

I usually use a paintbrush on the keyboard & a damp cloth on the screen.

spex357 10-08-2009 10:48

You can wash your keyboard in the washmachine, wrap it in a towel and tie it with string, dont forget to make sure its dry before turning it back on. Avoid using paper towels, toilet paper, tissue paper, or something like your shirt to wipe the LCD screen. Avoid cleaning products that contain ammonia, ethyl alcohol, acetone, toluene, ethyl acid, or methyl chloride. These chemicals can react with the materials that the LCD screen is made of which could yellow the screen or cause other kinds of damage. Never spray liquid directly on the LCD screen or it could run inside the monitor and cause damage. A 50/50 mix of white vinegar or iso-propyl alcohol (Maplins) and distilled/ de-ionised water (local garage) can be used on a soft Spectacle type cleaning cloth and dried with a shamoise leather, dont put too much pressure on the screen or you can cause damage if its lcd. You can leave the flat screen on and turn down the brightness to make the screen black which will help you see where the muck is.

Restless 13-08-2009 07:43

i use the tft/lcd cleaner from asda to clean my montior...

washing keyboarD??? hehe never heard of that. I spilt beer in my keyboard once and strange things started happening. press R and controll panel would come up Y would load adobe audition Z would reset computer.... that was crazy weird hehe

entwisi 13-08-2009 08:53

I've given keyboards a shower before now, just leave them in a warm airing cupboard upside down for 24 hours and tehy are fine ( Obviously don't do this with LAPTOP keyboards!!!!! ) :D