Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   Misled by presuming the worst (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/misled-by-presuming-the-worst-71008.html)

pifco 05-03-2020 14:08

Misled by presuming the worst

I had just installed the February Windows 10 updates and went to print off an email that I had received and I got the "offline" message for my laser printer, however, I have an inkjet printer and was able to print the email off OK. This made me think that the update and the laser printer's driver were not compatible so I downloaded the newest driver that there was but I still got the "printer offline" message. I then deleted the Windows 10 update (not an job I'd ever do again as I think my blood pressure must have doubled whilst doing the job) then reload the printer driver again but still "printer offline"
I went on to a techy forum and asked for advice but the problem seemed to have everyone baffled so I decided to take the laser to a repair shop but as I took out the printer to computer cable out I found the socket on the printer very loose so I took off the side panel and found that two of the contacts holding the socket to the formatter board (I didn't know it was called that at the time but I thought I'd show I now talk techy) I went online and found that a reconditioned board could be purchased for £26 and it was an easy job to replace. So with the printer now working well again I sit back and think how I jumped to the conclusion and presumed that it must be W10 update that was the problem because there are always messages on forums about how updates have caused countless problems when installed.

Margaret Pilkington 05-03-2020 14:47

Re: Misled by presuming the worst

It has been a learning experience...and all learning experiences cost something...money, time,blood pressure....but in the end you have got it sorted.

Restless 06-03-2020 18:23

a facepalm moment when you found out it wasnt the windows update :D

DaveinGermany 06-03-2020 21:47

Hello Fella! Not seen you around for a while (says he who has also been visiting the sight pretty sporadically:))

Restless 08-03-2020 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1237922)
Hello Fella! Not seen you around for a while (says he who has also been visiting the sight pretty sporadically:))

Its been a while. Thought id pop in and say how do

pifco 09-03-2020 12:25

Yes Restless the fact is I have so many horror stories about Window updates I never thought of anything else it could have been so yes the picture is perhaps a good likeness of my face after finding the uninstall was not needed. And perhaps the fact that a relative gave me a book for my birthday entitled "A Grumpy Old Git's Guide for Life" might give you some indication of my mood at the time.