Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crash Computers Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/)
-   -   The real World (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f82/the-real-world-72767.html)

taddy 18-04-2022 10:26

The real World

Well it looks as though I am going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the real world of computer technology,on another post I have said that my son in law, an all singing, all dancing computer Geek, (again sorry Ed) is looking to confine my steam driven machine to the (Crossword Solvers Graveyard), ie, six down and four across. Just whether I will be able to get my seventy five year old brain around this new fangled "Bill Gates infernal machine" will be seen in the near future. Wish me luck.

Your's, The Lancashire Luddite. :confused::confused:

Margaret Pilkington 18-04-2022 10:34

Re: The real World

Taddy…you do not need luck.
All you need is the desire to not let a whole load of bits of electronic doo-dads beat you…and the will to learn…if your son in law is so well versed…maybe he would give you some help getting used to your new bit of kit….or at least show you how to get on YouTube where you can see how things are done.
Enjoy the new experiences Taddy….you are NEVER too old to learn.

taddy 18-04-2022 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1266122)
Taddy…you do not need luck.
All you need is the desire to not let a whole load of bits of electronic doo-dads beat you…and the will to learn…if your son in law is so well versed…maybe he would give you some help getting used to your new bit of kit….or at least show you how to get on YouTube where you can see how things are done.
Enjoy the new experiences Taddy….you are NEVER too old to learn.

I am Learning, only not as fast as some folk but in order to learn you need to be interested, some folk are interested in some things where other folk are interested in other things, I think it used to be called Horses for Courses.

Less 18-04-2022 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1266123)
I am Learning, only not as fast as some folk but in order to learn you need to be interested, some folk are interested in some things where other folk are interested in other things, I think it used to be called Horses for Courses.

In the other thread you asked a question:-

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1266100)
what happened on post (27) ? where it says, Quote, "originally posted by Taddy", this was not one of my posts

That said to me that you were interested.

So I explained what the problem was, now you know the answer and how to solve the problem, I hope you will at least try to improve your quoting otherwise all the help and encouragement from Margaret and any others will be have wasted.
Just try that's all I ask.
:enough:

Margaret Pilkington 18-04-2022 12:14

Yes…you do have to be interested and you have to find something that fans the flames of that interest..
Baby steps and do not get discouraged…….there is no failure if you keep on trying.

taddy 19-04-2022 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1266129)
In the other thread you asked a question:-

That said to me that you were interested.

So I explained what the problem was, now you know the answer and how to solve the problem, I hope you will at least try to improve your quoting otherwise all the help and encouragement from Margaret and any others will be have wasted.
Just try that's all I ask.
:enough:

Many thanks Less, (genuinely), I am always willing to take notice of folk who know more than I do on a certain subject, I think part of my "problem"? may well be that although my long term memory is very good, I tend to lose track of something that I have only recently learned, I think that the medical definition is (Age) but as long as the old grey matter and the blood pump in my chest carries on and the missus and I stay mobile then I can put up with it.
Thank You and others, who are (trying), to help the not getting any younger, Luddite.

Margaret Pilkington 19-04-2022 15:14

Taddy, when you practice something time after time, then it becomes second nature.
Learning is not about watching or reading about something…those these things do support learning.
Real learning is based on ‘doing’…..and the more times you do something the more confident you become.
Have the will and the skill will follow.
As you know….bar a few months we are the same age…I try to learn something new every year.
So far brain surgery has eluded me…but only because I can find no willing volunteers. :D

dotti34 20-04-2022 03:26

As we all know, Taddy, the original Luddites destroyed machinery because the use of it threatened their livelihood, and the modern Luddite does not like new technology in general. Congratulations, therefore, on embracing YOUR new technology and being prepared to give it a go - whether a Luddite or not.

Don’t be scared of the new stuff, if you press a wrong key you won’t blow up the world, you won’t even blow up your computer. You also have the advantage of having someone who can help you if you get stuck.

Do what Margaret suggested and tap into YouTube tutorials…ask Mr Google questions that you might have, experiment, and if you tend to easily forget instructions you can always write them down using the good old pen and paper….ha ha ha ha.

Age should not come into it, you are never too old to learn and to give things a go. I enjoy modern technology and I only use my age as an excuse when it suits my purpose to do so. Gets me out of trouble at times. By the way, Taddy, just as a matter of interest (or not) I can give you a few years as, in bingo jargon, I will be two fat ladies in May.

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2022 07:31

Dorothy….age is just a number….and to stay sharp you have to hone the blade.
This is going to sound rude….to hone steel you have to grind it against something hard and unyielding…..problems are not really problems (unless that is how we want to see them) they are opportunities in overalls.
It was C S Lewis who said ‘you are never too old to learn or to have a new dream’.

And it has never been so easy to access learning.

Less 20-04-2022 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1266190)

And it has never been so easy to access learning.

Don't forget the pleasurable feeling we all get when, finally it clicks and we whisper to ourselves 'YES, I can do this!'.

dotti34 20-04-2022 07:52

Less, that is so true. It’s a great feeling when you have succeeded.

taddy 20-04-2022 08:05

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1266190]Dorothy….age is just a number….and to stay sharp you have to hone the blade.
This is going to sound rude….to hone steel you have to grind it against something hard and unyielding…..

Ha Ha,I have no doubt that a certain ex squaddie in Germany will have some comment about the something "hard and unyielding",

Less 20-04-2022 08:47

Well, done Taddy, great to see your quoting is improving!;)

Just a few more lessons in HTML4 and you'll be writing your own websites!:D
https://productimages.worldofbooks.com/0764519956.jpg

Or perhaps you'd rather jump straight into advanced class?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

Margaret Pilkington 20-04-2022 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1266191)
Don't forget the pleasurable feeling we all get when, finally it clicks and we whisper to ourselves 'YES, I can do this!'.

Yes…I can go with that too.
There have been things that when written down, are as clear as mud….but find it on YouTube and it makes all the difference.
And it applies to so many things.
Recently my washing machine was playing up….it would not drain the water out or spin the wet stuff.
I thought it was going to be an expensive repair…or worse, a replacement.
But not one to give up easily….I went on my iPad….found the make and model and found an informative video…..showed me how to drain the machine…..and how to look for the problem….it was a pound coin stuck in the thingymabob.
I removed it….crossed my fingers and tried the machine……wahay…success.
Money saved and pound pocketed ( from other half’s jeans….I never have money in my pocket).

Less 20-04-2022 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1266199)
Yes…I can go with that too.
There have been things that when written down, are as clear as mud….but find it on YouTube and it makes all the difference.
And it applies to so many things.
Recently my washing machine was playing up….it would not drain the water out or spin the wet stuff.
I thought it was going to be an expensive repair…or worse, a replacement.
But not one to give up easily….I went on my iPad….found the make and model and found an informative video…..showed me how to drain the machine…..and how to look for the problem….it was a pound coin stuck in the thingymabob.
I removed it….crossed my fingers and tried the machine……wahay…success.
Money saved and pound pocketed ( from other half’s jeans….I never have money in my pocket).

Yes & no to Utube, if you find good quality assistance both in demonstration & narration it can be excellent, unfortunately there is a fair bit of dross that has to be filtered out to get to the good stuff and how does someone without a clue sort the good from the bad?

P.s. My washer has a credit card stuck in the filter, I can't quite get my fingers to it! It has been there since I washed my wallet.:mad: