Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2011, 19:01   #1
Junior Member+

Backup help

Hi, could anyone help me I am trying to backup my computer on backup and restore and it goes so far and Error 0x8007002 or 0x81000037 and "specified file not found". I am using Windows7 and an external hard drive.
I have run malware and restarted. All to no avail, I am not technical at all. Thanks in anticipation.
Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2011, 21:33   #2
I am Banned

Re: Backup help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
Hi, could anyone help me I am trying to backup my computer on backup and restore and it goes so far and Error 0x8007002 or 0x81000037 and "specified file not found". I am using Windows7 and an external hard drive.
I have run malware and restarted. All to no avail, I am not technical at all. Thanks in anticipation.
You need a program called Windows Easy Transfer, it will clone your hard drive to your new drive.
I've been told that it is part of Win7, but you can download it for free.
If you just want to back up certain files like pictures you can use win explore, highlight the file click on edit, and then copy to, when the list opens scroll down to your new hard drive & click ok.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 07:17   #3
Junior Member+

Many thanks for your help. I'll try that. Dandy
Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 22:10   #4
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
I suspect the issue here is that when windows trys to back up it cannot find certain files or folders. try cleaning your registry using something such as ccleaner. The try the back up again.

Are you trying to create a system image or are you only trying to create backup copies of certain files?

If it's just certain files you can just plug your external drive into a usb port of you pc, Once the drive appears in "my computer" just drag and drop whatever files or folders you want copied to it. It will not move the orginal file i'll just create a copy on the external drive.

Hope this helps

Anton
Antonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 11:13   #5
Senior Member+

To be honest I don't bother making backup of system. Well since I consider my computer knoledge to be good(not excellent mind you) I pretty much keep safe and sound anyway.

I dual boot my machine. I use Ubuntu for everyday use. You don't really get viruses on linux based operating systems as they are a bit more secure. I use widnows 7 just for games and a couple other things.

I dont trust external hard drives. Is it a seagate you are using? Beware the 'click of death' keep a double backup. I use External hard drive to save files like live bootlegs and stuff(also backed up on xbox). Other larger files and what not. I also have a modded XBOX(original) with a 1TB Hard drive installed for storing everthing else. I use XBMC4XBOX for a media center and when i rip my CD Collection I rip it to FLAC format and store the files on my xbox. Its also good for displaying pictures so I can store them on there too. but i use sites like picasa and photobucket for that.

When and If system fails I find it better just to reinstall rather than run a backup

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..