Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2014, 09:17   #16
Senior Member+

Re: BT Home hub problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
http://192.168.1.254/html/common/b_p..._override.html

I have tried this and despite several attempts the serial number and wireless key number are not accepted. (i have rechecked them several times on the base of the hub)

BT are due to phone me back early afternoon - so I will leave it alone till then.
It`s a bit unlikely, but are you sure you aren`t connecting wirelessly to a neighbours hub. Is wireless disabled on your computer/laptop.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2014, 09:19   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
It`s a bit unlikely, but are you sure you aren`t connecting wirelessly to a neighbours hub. Is wireless disabled on your computer/laptop.
I never disabled wireless on my PC or laptop - just the hub - I was content when the hub wireless blue light was OFF.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:22   #18
Senior Member+

Just to be sure then, disable the wireless on your computer.

Control Panel>network and internet>network and sharing. On the left hand side "change adapter settings". Right click the wireless connection and disable.

Last edited by gpick24; 11-11-2014 at 09:25.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:24   #19
Senior Member+

Margaret, you said you had BT Infinity.
That requires BT hub 4. That's what BT told me when I asked to upgrade to Infinity, I had Hub 3 at the time.
The hub and set up were free.
If what I was told is correct you must not have Infinity but just normal broadband.
Has anybody else here got infinity and did you have to have the Hub 4?
MargaretR likes this.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:27   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
That requires BT hub 4. That's what BT told me when I asked to upgrade to Infinity, I had Hub 3 at the time.
If what I was told is correct you must not have Infinity but just normal broadband.
We have a business hub 3 at work, and it has BT Infinity connection on the back.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:32   #21
God Member

Quote:
When I upgraded to Infinity 1, I opted to keep the Homehub3 because I didn't want the hassle of wireless disabling a new hub, and I don't need the 'extra gadget facilities' it provides - I will mention this when BT phone me. thanks

Old 11-11-2014, 09:41   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have Home Hub 5 with my infinity so I don't need the open reach modem.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:44   #23
God Member

Quote:
Just to be sure then, disable the wireless on your computer.

Control Panel>network and internet>network and sharing. On the left hand side "change adapter settings". Right click the wireless connection and disable.
I have looked at that (thanks) - it shows 'Wireless Network Connection' and 'attempting to authenicate'. Which indicates that I never set up any wireless connection on this PC. (I never have and never will use wireless)

I haven't risked pressing 'disable' until BT have been given one more chance to get me sorted.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:12   #24
Senior Member+

Have you checked your download speed Margaret?
Round here the infinity is about 38mb download and normal broadband with BT is 10mb.
I'm about 50 yards from the cabinet where the fibre optic line terminates. The normal cable runs underground to my house from the cabinet.
To get fibre optic right up to the house is a lot more expensive.
I watch Skygo on my PC a lot and even at 10mb download the picture is perfect and no buffering.
That's no help to your problem though is it Margaret.
I thought it was just a case of resetting the hub and using the password on the bottom, then going into hub settings and disabling WiFi leaving the Ethernet cable connected.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:17   #25
Senior Member+

OK, I always disable wireless when connected by cable, only confuses matters having your laptop searching for a wireless connection when you want it to go through the wired route (not to mention eating your battery).
If you look down by your clock you should see your connection type, you should have an icon like a monitor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (11.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-11-2014, 10:26   #26
God Member

Quote:
Have you checked your download speed Margaret?
Round here the infinity is about 38mb download and normal broadband with BT is 10mb.
I'm about 50 yards from the cabinet where the fibre optic line terminates. The normal cable runs underground to my house from the cabinet.
To get fibre optic right up to the house is a lot more expensive.
I watch Skygo on my PC a lot and even at 10mb download the picture is perfect and no buffering.
That's no help to your problem though is it Margaret.
I thought it was just a case of resetting the hub and using the password on the bottom, then going into hub settings and disabling WiFi leaving the Ethernet cable connected.
I have no idea where the BT cabinet is near me, because I haven't been outside since I moved here last July (health problems). I did notice a slight improvement in page loading time when I switched to Infinity. Down here at the bottom end of Clayton I am a long way from the exchange and amongst an estate full of families. I do somtimes get buffering when the local kids get home from school and switch on. Last time I checked my speed it was 'good'

Old 11-11-2014, 10:31   #27
God Member

Quote:
OK, I always disable wireless when connected by cable, only confuses matters having your laptop searching for a wireless connection when you want it to go through the wired route (not to mention eating your battery).
If you look down by your clock you should see your connection type, you should have an icon like a monitor.
That icon shows 'Network2' only which confirms that my PC has not been setup for wireless.

I am amazed at all the good help you folks are providing - better than those BT call centre numpties.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:39   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That icon shows 'Network2' only which confirms that my PC has not been setup for wireless.
It was a long shot, but with the info from the bottom of your router not working the only suggestion I had was that you aren`t connected to your router but maybe a neightbours.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:40   #29
Senior Member+

It's hard work trying to establish what they are saying from bt call centre. I know I've rang them once or twice myself. I find myself saying "Can you speak more slowly please so I can understand you"
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 14:25   #30
God Member

Result of today's phone call from BT -

My current Homehub3 is to be replaced by a new Homehub3.
I asked if I should really have a Homehub4 and she said I would be charged £30 for it.
She said that a new Homehub3 was all I needed.

Incidentally she said that many customers have complained about 'drop outs' and other faults on Homehubs 4&5, and there have been reported problems with Homehub3, but not as many.

I will get yet another call from BT in 4 days, by which time the new hub will have arrived.

Due to my disabilities I have found this escapade more stressful than any healthy person would. The need to have phone conversations of considerable length caused aggravation and increased pain in my neck shoulders and hands.I have almost thrown the towel in a few times and just hope for the best with the tinfoil hat. It was only when Neil said that was a fire risk that I decided to see it through.

I really appreciate all the help you have provided which gave me more incentive to persevere - THANK YOU ALL

Last edited by MargaretR; 11-11-2014 at 14:29.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..