Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2014, 18:03   #1
God Member

BT Home hub problem

Yesterday my BT Infinity 1 connection got so slow that it took more than 10 seconds to load a page.

I phoned the broadband help desk, and part of the process of identifying the problem was to reset the homehub3 by inserting a toothpick into the tiny reset hole on the back of the hub. The problem was eventually described as a 'network problem' and was referred to a BT engineer.
Overnight the network fault was corrected

BUT -
The reset of the Homehub has re-enabled the wireless signal which I disabled about 2/3 years ago.

I had found out how to from the BT Community forums. I looked at them again, because I had forgotten how I did it.

I tried acessing Homehub settings page but could not get past the page which said I must change my password. I obtained the original hub password from the small removable section on the back of the hub and tried to change password. The it told me that the original password had been changed once AND COULD NOT BE CHANGED AGAIN !!!!

This afternoon I phoned the BT broadband helpline and after about an hour in a queue (with shoulders aching and numb fingers from holding the phone) I got through to the asian call centre and was struggling to understand him. He had me do yet another reset, as well as numerous attempts at password changes. He didn't know why I couldn't access the homehub setting page because I couldn't get past the password problem. After another hour I could see we were getting nowhere, and my neck and houlder pain was escalating so I ended the call.

So my home hub now wears a tinfoil hat unless I can find a solution.
I didn't resort to tinfoil until I had developed a splitting headache, which subsided when the tinfoil was applied - maybe I am one of those electrosensitive people - maybe I am not - but why be exposed to them when you needn't be? - and I don't need wireless connection.

PS the headache happened before I made the call - the call itself was 'a headache' but wasn't the cause of it

Last edited by MargaretR; 09-11-2014 at 18:10.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2014, 08:42   #2
I am Banned

Re: BT Home hub problem

Looks to me it's always going to be on in the background Margaret.

How to turn wireless on and off - BT Home Hub 4 and 5 | Help | BT.com Help

see note 9
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:23   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Looks to me it's always going to be on in the background Margaret.

How to turn wireless on and off - BT Home Hub 4 and 5 | Help | BT.com Help

see note 9
That info is useful - I have homehub 3 which does not provide the temporary password override. At least I know if I persuade Bt to give me a hub 4 I would be able to override the password.

As for 'always on' -
I opted out of FON, and my wireless indicator light was not on at all.

I have raised the problem by email with BT who have called me - I have explained the problem yet again and have been promised a callback.

II mentioned the password override facility on Homehub4 (which I wouldn't have known about thanks ) and suggested I was supplied with one - and will have more conversation with them later today.

PS I wont bother with a new homehub 4 in view of note 9 - maybe a new homehub3 will work.

Last edited by MargaretR; 10-11-2014 at 09:30.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:23   #4
I am Banned

There's a bit more here Margaret on Hub3's
It may help.

How do I disable WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Set-up) on my BT Home Hub 3, Hub 4 or Hub 5? | Help | BT.com Help
Old 10-11-2014, 12:52   #5
God Member

Quote:
Thanks DP - I read that when you provided the previous link.

Since I last posted, the asian call centre have phoned me again and (for the umpteenth time) I have reset the hub with a toothpick and made attempts to change my password. Just like yesterday I get the message 'you have changed it once and can't do it again'.

The asian lady then asked me to allow her remote access to my computer.
I politely refused ( well would you ?), so she decided to take me through the steps she would have taken - the two websites she directed me to did not provide the page she expected me to see so she has given up - told me to reset (toothpick again) and make one more attempt at change password and the call centre would call me again tomorrow.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:55   #6
God Member

PS - She said that overnight a check would be made whether the hub was functioning correctly. I suppose if it is faulty they will replace , but otherwise I am stuck with a hub that cannot be wireless disabled.

The tinfoil hat seems fine - no headache today

Old 10-11-2014, 13:22   #7
Senior Member+

Threaten to leave B.T and see if thet will provide you with a home hub 5. B.T. dont remind you when your contract is up , they just let you keep on paying. I was paying £27.50 for my infinity and anytime calls plus line rental per month.When I threatened to leave them I got my monthly payment down to £ 15.95. Worth a try with them.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 13:24   #8
I am Banned

Had a read of this Margaret..I reckon you are stuck with the tinfoil origami.

The firmware updates will keep switching it back on.

A comprehensive, one-stop guide for beginners to help Wave Goodbye to pulsed microwaves and electrosmog and so return to full health - - How to turn off Wireless
Old 10-11-2014, 13:49   #9
God Member

Quote:
Had a read of this Margaret..I reckon you are stuck with the tinfoil origami.
I have orgonite too

(I don't really have the option of leaving BT because I have an AgeUK emergency pendant)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orgonite.jpg (23.0 KB, 10 views)

Old 10-11-2014, 14:44   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have orgonite too
)
Hey, steady on Margaret!

Orgone- 'Closely associated with sexuality.'
'Reich and his students were seen as a cult of sex and anarchy'.
No wonder you put a big grin smilie!

How much of this organite have you got lying around there?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 15:23   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Hey, steady on Margaret!

Orgone- 'Closely associated with sexuality.'
'Reich and his students were seen as a cult of sex and anarchy'.
No wonder you put a big grin smilie!

How much of this organite have you got lying around there?
Not enough it seems
Gordon Booth likes this.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:21   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Have you tried using Internet Explorer to access the hub and change the password? Some routers only like IE. The tin foil is a fire risk and might be doing nothing to stop the rf.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:01   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Have you tried using Internet Explorer to access the hub and change the password? Some routers only like IE. The tin foil is a fire risk and might be doing nothing to stop the rf.
I have opened IE and found this -
How does password override work on the BT Home Hub 3, Hub 4 or Hub 5? | Help | BT.com Help
This is the first mention I have found that hub3 allows password override.
I will be trying it today, when I am fully awake.- thanks

I will remove the tinfoil hat when I go to bed - the bedroom is a long walk away from the hub.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:00   #14
God Member

http://192.168.1.254/html/common/b_p..._override.html

I have tried this and despite several attempts the serial number and wireless key number are not accepted. (i have rechecked them several times on the base of the hub)

BT are due to phone me back early afternoon - so I will leave it alone till then.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
...B.T. dont remind you when your contract is up , they just let you keep on paying...
A little off-topic, but the contract never actually ends, it just has a minimum term. Typically, companies use the minimum term to either recoup the cost of equipment or to get you so dependent on the service that leaving at the end is just too much hassle.

It's the same technique used by mobile carriers and insurance companies.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..