Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2011, 18:33   #1
Resting in Peace

BT or Tiscali ... where is the fault ?

Ok... are you sitting comfortably.

After 3 weeks of intermittent/no Internet .. it was obvious was the 'phone line that fed my Internet. 'Phone line went off; Internet went off, 'phone line came back for a while, Internet came back ... easy up to now.

Before I realised was intermittent for a while, did speak to Tiscali .. they said would be my filter ... sent me a new one. Still didn't work .. ah yes, phone line permanently down now...

After comedy of errors with BT .. phone line restored, Internet back. Happy Kate ....

It is absolutely fine, until someone decides to ring me on this line, or I open it up for dialling ... then Internet goes down again.. have to reboot router and unplug lead and all leads into filter to restore.

Not a line I use ... but BT had rung me to check all OK... explained to the foreign lady that she had rung on this line and caused me grief. Knew exactly what she was going to say ..."Well, can you ring out and receive calls? " "Yes" is the answer ... just cuts me Internet off everytime it rings, etc. "Best to ring your provider (Tiscali)" .. gives me number, I indulge her by writing it down.

Any ideas ? Anyone out there, please. BT will charge me £130 plus VAT if not their fault if they come again, but I just know it is them.

Do get sales calls on this line about twice a day .. never answer it, of course, because nobody knows I have 01254 2***** Haha .. not a chance .. know you lot...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2011, 19:08   #2
Resting in Peace

Debtor Tiscali ... where is the fault ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

After 3 weeks of intermittent/no Internet .. it was obvious was the 'phone line that fed my Internet. 'Phone line went off; Internet went off, 'phone line came back for a while, Internet came back ... easy up to now.

Before I realised was intermittent for a while, did speak to Tiscali .. they said would be my filter ... sent me a new one. Still didn't work .. ah yes, phone line permanently down now...

After comedy of errors with BT .. phone line restored, Internet back. Happy Kate ....

It is absolutely fine, until someone decides to ring me on this line, or I open it up for dialling ... then Internet goes down again.. have to reboot router and unplug lead and all leads into filter to restore.

Not a line I use ... but BUT had rung me to check all OK... explained to the foreign lady that she had rung on this line and caused me grief. Knew exactly what she was going to say ..."Well, can you ring out and receive calls? " "Yes" is the answer ... just cuts me Internet off everytime it rings, etc. "Best to ring your provider (Tiscali)" .. gives me number, I indulge her by writing it down.

Any ideas ? Anyone out there, please. BUT will charge me £130 plus VAT if not their fault if they come again, but I just know it is them.

Do get sales calls on this line about twice a day .. never answer it, of course, because nobody knows I have 01254 2***** Haha .. not a chance .. know you lot...
Looks like you've had a rough ride Kate, I have BT broadband and have never had any trouble with it what so ever in over 3 years, oh by the way the banana smiley is a great resemblance
Old 21-06-2011, 19:31   #3
Resting in Peace

Re: Debtor Tiscali ... where is the fault ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Looks like you've had a rough ride Kate, I have BT broadband and have never had any trouble with it what so ever in over 3 years, oh by the way the banana smiley is a great resemblance
You're not much help then ... never had any trouble with Tiscali. BT is the 'phone line, as they all are. .. LOL.

Why has BT changed to BUT when you have quoted ?
Old 21-06-2011, 19:34   #4

Re: BT or Tiscali ... where is the fault ?

You have both Tiscali and BT phone lines? When I was with Tiscali they took over the line rental and phone line from BT and when my dialup became really slow Tiscali told me they would get BT to put it right. I heard no more but it did not go right. Then they told me it was the filters, but still no joy. Finally, Tiscali 2nd line support said it was something faulty at the exchange and they would fix it. And all was OK. 6 months later the same happened again, it never got fixed but I flit anyway. Moral is: keep pestering Tiscali till you get to 2nd line support. Also you could try making sure you have an ADSL filter on all your phone sockets, it might just be that.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 20:33   #5
Resting in Peace

Perhaps I have confused you .. have two 'phone lines,but only one supports the Internet.

BT own all 'phone lines . Tiscali and other providers mearly rent them out from them (or whatever).

My original filter is ADSL .. using it now, not their crappy one.

Will try Tiscali .. but think they will refer me back to BT and BT to Tiscali... grrrr.
Old 21-06-2011, 20:46   #6

So it's your Tiscali phone/internet line then, so I would say pester Tiscali because they are the provider on that line, even if BT own all the lines. They will try to say it is BT problem, but Tiscali are responsible. It is up to them to fix it.

My problem was very similar, sometimes cutting off the internet, sometimes making it so slow to be unusable. It helped when I disconnected my second phone (which was on the same line). But it sounds like a problem at the exchange or outside your house, if you're happy with your filters.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 21:00   #7
Resting in Peace

Will have a go at Tiscali then .. BT have already dug outside my house to fix the line, so maybe Tiscali will put some pressure on them. It's not a second phone .. another line which supports a fax.

Will report back.. thanks.
Old 21-06-2011, 21:01   #8

Tiscali went bust, it is now TalkTalk
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 21:05   #9
Beacon of light

And talk talk are rubbish at customer service.......they took over onetel and they pester and pester me to have my broadband with them........NO WAY.........Absolute Rubbish....considering taking my calls back to BT.
I have never had any problems with BT.......had an internet problem, contacted them and it was sorted in 48 hours...they delivered me a new home hub free of charge...cured my internet problems immediately.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 21:17   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Tiscali went bust, it is now TalkTalk
Whatever .. E-mail still under Tiscali name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And talk talk are rubbish at customer service.......they took over onetel and they pester and pester me to have my broadband with them........NO WAY.........Absolute Rubbish....considering taking my calls back to BT.
I have never had any problems with BT.......had an internet problem, contacted them and it was sorted in 48 hours...they delivered me a new home hub free of charge...cured my internet problems immediately.

Never had a problem with Internet before. I am talking about BT with my 'phone line which I contacted direct about it because it was down. If you have an Internet problem which could be your 'phone line all your provider will do is contact BT, and they will get in touch to fix it.
Old 21-06-2011, 22:53   #11
I am Banned

Quote:

Not a line I use ... but BT had rung me to check all OK... explained to the foreign lady that she had rung on this line and caused me grief. Knew exactly what she was going to say ..."Well, can you ring out and receive calls? " "Yes" is the answer ... just cuts me Internet off everytime it rings, etc. "Best to ring your provider (Tiscali)" .. gives me number, I indulge her by writing it down.

Any ideas ? Anyone out there, please. BT will charge me £130 plus VAT if not their fault if they come again, but I just know it is them.

Have you tried the old filter, I had a fault like that not long ago, I checked ever connection with a meter, then rang my provider, they came with the same spiel, how much it would cost, told them it was their fault, they sent some one out to check the line, they have a meter that can show where on the line the fault is, it was where I predicted before he checked with the meter, moisture in the junction box at the top of the pole, some one had been messing in it a few days before, and he hadn't put the cover back properly.
You've got to watch the beggars, they will still try and claim it was you fault.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 22:55   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
because nobody knows I have 01254 2***** Haha .. not a chance .. know you lot...
I know, ha ha, whats it worth to keep silent.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 06:23   #13
Beacon of light

Kate I wasn't referring to the actual problem, I was just saying that while Talk Talk is rubbish at customer realtions(and my calls still are under the banner of Onetel, but if you ring them for any reason it is talk talk who respond)in my experience, BT were very prompt in solving the problem.
Old 22-06-2011, 07:22   #14
Resting in Peace

I know, Margaret, don't know what I am talking about to be honest. Is BT broadband not run separately to the Open Reach (that's what's on their vans now) which deals with the 'phones ?

Could lay down the category of errors they made whilst I was trying to get them to restore it, but would take up too much web space ..Mick would not be pleased..

I think Retlaw has got the nearest, although they have already dug up my pavement ... just suspect something still not right under there. They did mention putting a new cap on. Have put the old filter back as was a better one than what they sent me .. but same problem whichever one I use.

Will try my provider (talk, talk) later tonight when I have probably an hour to spare. BT not interested any more as 'phone line working, just crashes my Internet when someone rings or I try to use it.
Old 22-06-2011, 08:03   #15
Beacon of light

I had a problem similar to your .......but a long time ago. I contacted them and they sent me the ADSL filters........and stupidly, I put them onto the connection next to the computer(Where you plug the line in for the internet connection)...........when I put the filters on the junction box (where you plug your phone in), the problem was cured.
Had a similar problem when we upgraded to Sky+........that line needed a filter too, but no-one told me. I figured it out for myself.

While I am not saying that this is your problem, it worked for me.

Hope you get sorted soon Kate.......it is a blooming imbuggerence when services don't run as they should...especially as they aren't cheap.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..