Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2011, 21:58   #1

downloading trial version of office 2010

Here are copies of a problem on the microsoft forum I've copied and pasted them as I'm having the same problem

I have spent the last 4 hours trying to download and install the trial of Office Home and Business 2010. What a headache, and still haven't gotten anywhere. I have downloaded, uninstalled, downloaded, uninstalled, over and over. For whatever reason the product key they give me when I download is somehow invalid when it asks me to enter it during installation. What is causing this.

anybody any solutions?

Here's what I do: I download the bootstrap installer to the desktop, and run it as admin. It starts and goes through the first three stages without problems.
The principal recurring error occurs in stage 4, after PowerPoint begins installing, and the PowerPoint 2010 window says "Processing."
A second window opens with the prompt, "Enter Your Product Key" "Type your 25-character Product Key." I paste the key from above the "Install Now" button into the box. (The key is also included in the bootstrap installer filename.) The paste process is very slow -- the key might not be visible for 45 seconds after I paste. This message appears: "The key you have entered is valid" A "Continue" button appears.
I click Continue, and in a few seconds, a message in red appears: "Installing the product key failed. Please try another product key." I have now tried quite a few keys. They were all initially identified as valid, but none worked.
I have repeatedly tried uninstalling the partial installation of Microsoft Office Click to Run 2010 that appears in Programs and Features, and then deleting all temp files before I try again.
There was a trial version of Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 on the computer. I uninstalled it, and uninstalled Microsoft Office Suite Activation assistant.
. Made no difference.
Usually the "Click to Run Application Manager" "Repair Microsoft Office Click-to-Run" dialog starts when I run the bootstrap utility if I don't uninstall Click to Run after a failed install. It asks if I want to repair Microsoft Office Click-to-Run, with a check box asking if I want to remove settings. I either check or don't check the box (makes no difference) and answer yes. Once it ran and froze, but usually it reports that "Microsoft Home and Business 2010 - English has been successfully repaired." When I run the installer again, after it has been "successfully repaired," it once again asks if I want to repair the installation. This will be repeated even after I reboot, until I uninstall Click to Run.
In Eventvwr, the red exclamation point errors produced by these installations are logged as Event ID 1017, "Installation of the Proof of Purchase Failed. 0xc004E01E."

hope you can assist

Last edited by hedman2003; 23-03-2011 at 22:01.
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2011, 07:33   #2
Senior Member+

Re: downloading trial version of office 2010

Sounds a bit odd that, I installed it with no trouble but after about three months I decided to go back to the 2007 version which I was familiar with.
There is not much difference in them.

I forgot to add that mine was not the trial version.

Last edited by Gremlin; 24-03-2011 at 07:39. Reason: Added text
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 08:31   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Try this:-

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

It's free & does just about everything you might need.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 09:34   #4
God Member

+1 from me too, Open office is very good

if you must have Microsoft version due to using complex VBA etc then if you are a student ( or have someone in teh house who is in full time eductaion from reception class upwards) you can get hefty discounts on the full versions.

e.g. Microsoft Office 2010 Student Pro Plus: SAVE with 90% Off | Software4Students.co.uk
reduced to < 40 quid from over 400......

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 11:04   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I bought a 2 user license version through work for about a tenner. Something to do with being a Microsoft partner I think.
Old 24-03-2011, 14:42   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I bought a 2 user license version through work for about a tenner. Something to do with being a Microsoft partner I think.
Nice brag, but what use is it to anyone else?

Are you offering her one?

Typical of you if you are.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 15:03   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Nice brag, but what use is it to anyone else?

Are you offering her one?

Typical of you if you are.
Other people might also be able to buy cheaper copies through work, it is worth asking and was making people aware that's all.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..