Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 18:26   #1

Exclamation Filesharing Over WRT54g HELP!!!!

Can anyone tell me how i can file share over a Linksys WRT54g Wireless Router and a pc with a belkin 802.11g wirless adaptor and a laptop with a linksys wpc54g pci wireless card, i have no idea where to start looking or how to do it so full instructions would be great if someone could help me, thanks in advance.
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2006, 18:47   #2
God Member

Re: Filesharing Over WRT54g HELP!!!!

You need to find out what port numbers are being used and then set up port forwarding through the router to the laptop. You will find it easier if you make the laptop a static IP address rather than relying on the router giving it the same IP address via DHCP.

If this is gobbledygook (as it will be to a lot of people) let me know and I'll put it in noddy speak

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 18:48   #3

please can you use noddy speak lol
Old 01-05-2006, 19:38   #4
God Member

what filesharing prog?

any other firewalls involved?i.e. have you one installed on the laptop

Old 01-05-2006, 22:55   #5

Sorry i think we misunderstood i want to share files between the two computers, ie from laptop to pc and vice versa
Old 02-05-2006, 05:16   #6
God Member

Right, I took it to be peer 2 peer.

I still need to have an idea what firewalls you have in place on the pc and the laptop

Old 02-05-2006, 18:10   #7
Junior Member+

Cool Re: Filesharing Over WRT54g HELP!!!!

Hi, i think i want the same thing, i have a desktop and a laptop on the same linksys wireless access gateway and would like to be able to print from the laptop to the printer that is attatched to the desktop. I have nortons system works on both computers and the windows excuse for a firewall!!
whittle1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:43   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittle1985
I have nortons system works on both computers and the windows excuse for a firewall!!
I would recommend removing Norton System Works aand installing some anti-virus software. A lot of the Norton/Symantec software affects system speed massively. I removed Norton from a laptop last night that I was asked to sort out as it was running very slow. NOrton had converted a 1.9Ghz laptop into a ZX81 Yes, I can remember how slow a ZX81 is, I used to write software on one a loooong time ago.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:17   #9
God Member

I can lend you mine if you want to carry on. One day you might even make a programmer

Old 03-05-2006, 07:24   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Now you really are a geek if you still have a ZX81 Ian. It would not surprise me if you have a thermal printer to go with it and maybe even a ZX80.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:31   #11
God Member

OK, I'm not familiar with Nortons way of doing it but basically the way you need to enable it is as follows.

Firewalls work on 'zones'. YOu have an Internet Zone and a Trusted Zone. Effectively everything the 'internet' side of the routers firewall is considered in the Internet Zone, Everything this side is the trusted zone. You need to ensure that sharing is enabled for the sharing zone and disabled for the internet zone(or anyone will be able to see your stuff!). A lot of people also have firewalls installed on their PCS, these can also get in the way. One of the easiest and safest ways to get this working is to disconnect from the net(actually pull the cable to ensure the router can't do an automatic reconnect). Then disable all firewalls on your PCs and laptops. See if you can share at this point. Then slowly enable each firewall, checking that sharing is still OK before moving onto the next one. When it stops working look in the last enabled firewall for the trusted zone security settings and enable sharing there. When you have got to the point that you can share within your network get ready to reconnect to the net. The very first place you should go is www.grc.com and complete the 'Shields Up!' test. This will try and connect to your PC and will tell you if it can see anything that it shouldn't be allowed to.

Hope this helps

Let me know if you still have problems

Old 03-05-2006, 08:30   #12
God Member

Programmers haha ? When you spend all day writing perl .. then you can call yourselves programmers

I know a dozen computer languages and they will all fall over with a missplaced colon... Yet I still cant write proper english... whats wrong with that picture?
Old 03-05-2006, 09:23   #13
God Member

one ZX81, two Vic 20s complete with 16K ram packand superexpander and cassette deck

Perl hah, I see you your perl and raise you Jacl, Jython and bash .

Old 03-05-2006, 20:45   #14

the stealth thing is great and my pc and laptop are both stealth in all areas!!! whic i think is ace, but how do i create a lan over the wireless network
Old 04-05-2006, 05:12   #15
God Member

A LAN (Local Area Network) is your Wireless network. The Intenet is also known as WAN (Wide Area Network).

i.e. your PC and laptop (And any other computers you add later) form your LAN. People now tend to use Wireless network to mean the same thing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..