Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2009, 19:46   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Firefox problem

For some reason Firefox will not stay on certain sites, when i try to go on them ALL the pages suddenly go off!!, which is bloody annoying.
I click Firefox to go back on and it sometimes says....how embarrasing...blah blah blah.....and restores the web pages...well i have got so annoyed with it, iv now deleted it and gone back to IE8....hellllllp

what is wrong with it?
Old 29-07-2009, 10:31   #2
God Member

Re: Firefox problem

what do you mean by they go 'off'

blank screens, navigates to other pages?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 11:48   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I am guessing you mean Firefox closes itself
Old 29-07-2009, 13:11   #4
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

In which case it probably a dody install of flash/shockwave/java or some other plugin that is taking it out. In windows world the processes are tightly bound so an issue with a child process can and often does take out the parent..
Old 29-07-2009, 19:50   #5
God Member

Try Google chrome......less bullshine.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 23:52   #6
Senior Member+

do you have 64bit windows?
Old 03-08-2009, 22:57   #7
Resting in Peace

I get that Panther with Firefox when it eventually warms up to give me a greeting .. usually hasn't closed Accyweb down fully, which can take the whole of 5 minutes.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:28   #8
God Member

I've got Mozilla firefox and IE ..both have been overtaken by something that used to re-direct searches from Google.. now I just get blank pages from google and ask..I did reckon it was an infection of IE but I do have a virus called "heur" which seems to be hard to get rid of....I don't fancy reloading vista cos I don't have a disc..anyone got an alternative?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:12   #9
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device
I have but you wont like it!

Seriously, if you have a virus thats not easy then the best thing would be a reinstall simply to make sure you don't have any trojans left behind sending your passwords/bank stuff to dubious people..

One piece of advice if you do decide to do it is when you start to ensure you split your HD into 2 partitions. Keep one purely for your data and the other for the OS and any programs.

When you have reinstalled everything program wise take a disc image oof the OS and programs so next time you need to do it it will only take 30 mins or so start to finish and leaves your data safe.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:18   #10

I had that problem, Panther, a year or so ago. It was with any sites that used Java. I've since had a complete wipe of shockwave, Java and Firefox (plus all the other bits) and I've reinstalled to the latest versions.

I don't know what fixed it, but it doesn't seem to have that problem any more- either that or I've stopped visiting dubious sites.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25   #11
God Member

Entwisi..I know I will have to reload windows or linux and start again.I have linux loaded on my PC and can get start up from it.. but I cannot get on the web..it will not recognise my BT wireless connection and won't even open the BT install disc..so it's back to Vista or XP for me.
Old 04-08-2009, 14:17   #12
God Member

your shocked it won't use the BT install disk?

If you genuinely want help I am happy to try and support you in getting your wireless connection working. Let me know if I can help. I will need to know a few things. What flavour of Linux you are using and what wireless card you have installed.

Teh easiest way toi get me this is to type teh following commands in at a terminal ( use ALT F2, xterm to get one )

uname -an
lspci
lsusb ( this is less important but if you have it installed let me know )

Ian

Old 04-08-2009, 15:04   #13
God Member

Yes I am shocked linux will not use the BT install disc..Linux is supposed to be the free and easy OP.. yet it won't even open a CD!...thankyou.for the info you have given..I reckon I may need it....thanks again.

Last edited by Mancie; 04-08-2009 at 15:09.
Old 04-08-2009, 15:54   #14
God Member

a CD written purely for Windows ( which actually no one actually needs to set up a wireless network anyway but hey..... )

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..