Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2012, 04:34   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Forgotten password

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
possibly the CMOS battery on your motherboard, if you open the case you should see like a big watch battery, flick it out and stall near doors leading out of the market to bus station should be able to supply.
It would be a good idea to switch it off first and unplug the power lead.
Old 23-11-2012, 06:15   #17
Senior Member+

And ground yourself before touching the board
Old 23-11-2012, 07:04   #18
Senior Member+

Just switch it off, leave the power lead plugged in, but turn of at mains, this will ground it for you, if you stay away from power supply would be ok even if plugged in only 5v goes to board.

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 10:31   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Just switch it off, leave the power lead plugged in, but turn of at mains, this will ground it for you, if you stay away from power supply would be ok even if plugged in only 5v goes to board.
It is never wise to advise someone to leave a machine of any type connected to the mains while they are working on it.
I agree as no doubt do the others about your advice about the battery, but safety MUST be the first priority.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 10:35   #20
Senior Member+

if its plugged in but switched off at the plug it will be earthed, and therefore safer for the components inside the pc

Old 23-11-2012, 10:51   #21

Quote:
if its plugged in but switched off at the plug it will be earthed, and therefore safer for the components inside the pc

What value the components compared to a human life?

Bad advice should be ignored, what you are giving is bad advice, I work on large electrical equipment as well as computer based controllers, I and other skilled engineers are alive because we know sometimes even with the simplest components mistakes and faults occur that can even in the most unlikely scenario's become dangerous.
Why are we still alive? Because we never deliberately place ourselves or others in a position of possible danger.

Stumped, although he means well do not do as church says, disconnect completely from the mains before working on ANY electrical appliance.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 23-11-2012, 10:58   #22
Senior Member+

end of the day its there choice, i am just passing on info, and as stated if the power lead is left plugged in and switched off at the plug, it is safe and no need to wear anti static strap, its not something i wish to get into an arguement about.

i was simply trying to offer a solution to their problem, without causing any more harm to their system, would hate for someone to receive a shock or damage their equipment because of the advice i have given, but thats all it was advice

as for the work i too have worked on thousands of server rollouts throughout the country, and although you dont like it im still here!

Old 23-11-2012, 11:12   #23

Quote:
end of the day its there choice, i am just passing on info, and as stated if the power lead is left plugged in and switched off at the plug, it is safe and no need to wear anti static strap, its not something i wish to get into an arguement about.

i was simply trying to offer a solution to their problem, without causing any more harm to their system, would hate for someone to receive a shock or damage their equipment because of the advice i have given, but thats all it was advice

as for the work i too have worked on thousands of server rollouts throughout the country, and although you dont like it im still here!
End of the day you are passing on dangerous advice from one person that doesn't know, to another person that needs better advice than you are giving.

It should never be a matter of choice, safe working is paramount and should be the first consideration when advising anyone about anything.
That way you can avoid feeling hate or guilt from having given someone advice that may harm them.
As for what you have worked on, yes, you are still here, but if you don't adhere to basic electrical safety...
For how long?

I wish you no harm, please be careful out there, these things have a tendency to bite when you least expect it.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 23-11-2012, 16:56   #24
Senior Member+

I haven't got to flashys position yet but I'm getting a 'low battery' warning and having to press f1 to get things going.
How do you earth it all when it's unplugged and is it a rechargeable battery or is it just a big watch type battery?
Also the book mentions recording all your screens in systems setup. Do you write them all down and re-key them in when the new battery is in? If so flashy should watch out for that, what happens if you don't do it?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 17:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I haven't got to flashys position yet but I'm getting a 'low battery' warning and having to press f1 to get things going.
How do you earth it all when it's unplugged and is it a rechargeable battery or is it just a big watch type battery?
Also the book mentions recording all your screens in systems setup. Do you write them all down and re-key them in when the new battery is in? If so flashy should watch out for that, what happens if you don't do it?
I think you're getting a little confused, don't panic, read the thread from the beginning, you will see that there are two different problems in one thread.

From what you've posted nothing whatever to do with their troubles.

I suggest you start a new thread about your problem trying to be accurate about the symptoms, so that those that can help will have a better idea of how to help.
Old 23-11-2012, 18:31   #26
Full Member+

New battery inserted. Thanks guys.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 18:44   #27
Senior Member+

Glad it helped

Old 23-11-2012, 21:10   #28
Senior Member+

I have a plug tester that says if the socket is wired properly. Then I have one of those plugs that goes into the mains(earth only) so you can attach a wrist strap. Better safe than sorry.
Old 29-09-2016, 06:21   #29

I forgot the password of my windows 10 laptop. does the method mentioned above applied to my case? thanks
jxkinerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 09:53   #30
Senior Member+

A nice introduction to yourself would be very nice before asking questions
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..