Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2013, 15:58   #1
Senior Member+

Graphics Card?

I suspect that the graphics card in my LT has failed. Started to get occasional flickering of the display and now there is no display at all – completely dead screen. I can hear the HD run on start up and if I insert a disc I can hear that run and the indicator lights flash as usual.
Can anyone advise:
  • Whether there are any checks I can do to verify my suspicions?
  • Are graphics cards specific to the make and model of the laptop or can I just go and buy any graphics card?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Accrington Web
Old 28-10-2013, 16:16   #2
JFT96

Re: Graphics Card?

As far as I know, Laptop graphics cards are integral to the motherboard.
However does ypur laptop have a VGA socket, a d shapped one with lots of holes?
If so you should be able to plug it into a desktop monitor, I woukd imagine thst would at least check your laptops graphics card.
If the external display works, I would have thought the problem is with your laptop screen.
Si

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 28-10-2013 at 16:22.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 16:39   #3
Senior Member+

There may also be a key combination to press to switch between laptop screen and external display. Which keys will depend on your laptop (the one i`m using now it`s Fn & F2).
Newer laptops have HDMI, if yours does try that into your TV (assuming your TV has HDMI)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 20:26   #4

It probably won't be the graphics card - more likely the screen or its inverter that has gone. As Si suggested - borrow a VGA monitor and if you can use it without problems, your card is fine.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../SVGA_port.jpg

Next step is the inverter. It's a little 1cm x 10cm board at the bottom of the screen (after you take off the cover). It should be about a tenner to replace.
http://clevoweb.co.uk/images/inv.jpg

Bear in mind that your whole screen might be dead. Mine has just gone belly up, and I can't really justify a £100 replacement, but I could justify the tenner that it took to confirm the inverter isn't broken.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:42   #5
Senior Member+

Thanks everyone, will try and progress a bit further.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..