Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2013, 08:23   #1
I am Banned

Head scratcher

I have an ASUS netbook that I use for travelling light.
When I power it up after a couple or so days the internal clock has lost exactly 5 hours? It puzzles me why exactly 5 hours something is obviously resetting the clock but I am at a loss as to what and why.
Any suggestions and cure from the AccyWeb gurus would be appreciated.
Thanks
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2013, 08:29   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Head scratcher

How to replace the CMOS battery.

The pound shop sells them in packs of 5.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:51   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How to replace the CMOS battery.

The pound shop sells them in packs of 5.
Cheers Less..I had a bit of a look for the battery a few weeks ago. I guess I need to take all the bottom cover off to find it.
Just intrigued that its exactly 5 hours??
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:59   #4
Senior Member+

Check your time zone DP, for it to be exactly five hours every time, I would say that`s the most likely.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 00:14   #5
Senior Member+

Yeah try time settings too. Click internet time and settings make it sync with internet.....
Old 15-06-2013, 08:12   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
...make it sync with internet.....
I think that`s part of the problem, time zone set to something like Canada, Windows syncs the time with server and sets clock to Canadian time. If it was a dead battery, time and date would reset to something like midnight, Jan 1st .....

Last edited by gpick24; 15-06-2013 at 08:20.
Old 15-06-2013, 08:30   #7
Senior Member+

Also check that your location is set to correct place - In Windows 7 - Control Panel / Clock, Language And Region / Region And Language. Click on the Location Tab at the top.
Old 15-06-2013, 09:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I think that`s part of the problem, time zone set to something like Canada, Windows syncs the time with server and sets clock to Canadian time. If it was a dead battery, time and date would reset to something like midnight, Jan 1st .....
Only if the battery is completely dead, if it is just on it's way out it can just lose time until of course it gets worse.

If it's time zone, why once he's reset it does it after being turned off resort back to the wrong time?

At a pound for 5 he may as well replace the battery and eliminate it from the equation.
Old 15-06-2013, 09:36   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Only if the battery is completely dead, if it is just on it's way out it can just lose time until of course it gets worse.

If it's time zone, why once he's reset it does it after being turned off resort back to the wrong time?

At a pound for 5 he may as well replace the battery and eliminate it from the equation.
That`s a new one to me, a battery adjusting the time rather than resetting it completely.
Like I said in earlier post, if the time zone is set wrong, and you set your clock to UK time, when windows checks the time with the time server, it will set it back to the correct time for your time zone.
Old 15-06-2013, 09:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
That`s a new one to me, a battery adjusting the time rather than resetting it completely.
Like I said in earlier post, if the time zone is set wrong, and you set your clock to UK time, when windows checks the time with the time server, it will set it back to the correct time for your time zone.
Well, I don't mind it being a new one on you, it has happened in the past you may be correct about time zone, so long as he gets the problem fixed, that is what matters.
Old 15-06-2013, 09:47   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well, I don't mind it being a new one on you, it has happened in the past you may be correct about time zone, so long as he gets the problem fixed, that is what matters.
Exactly. There`s always more than one reason why something can be wrong, the more info provided the better chance he has of sorting it.
Old 15-06-2013, 10:54   #12
Senior Member+

CMOS is always the first thing electricians think of when it comes to clock problems. Had problems with that in the past myself. Removing it might reset your bios settings if you have tweaked them....
Old 15-06-2013, 11:02   #13
Senior Member+

I tend to go for the easiest option first, a few mouse clicks to check a setting or two will always come before getting the screwdrivers out and disassembling a laptop.
Old 15-06-2013, 13:04   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I tend to go fer easiest option also, I get hold of someone who knows what the hell they are doing. Cos i would certainly balls things up, i'm very good at it.
Old 15-06-2013, 16:34   #15
Senior Member+

So have you fixed this problem?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..