Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2012, 16:38   #1
Senior Member+

Horrible resolution/screen issue?

Hello.
I have just got a reconditioned pc tower as mine took a "terminal dump" and died. This one seems to be fine except...the display is terrible, I can't seem to get the resolution right at all, font too small and some of page missing on left of screen, I've tried the usual tricks that I know but to no avail. ( I kept my old monitor as it's a good one , mermaid, although it's knocking on a bit), also the pc sounds really loud, like fan noise?
Any advice?
Old 25-08-2012, 21:20   #2
God Member

Re: Horrible resolution/screen issue?

What resolution is the PC set to and what is the resolution of your screen (assuming LCD ). You need to match them for best results. as for noise, cheap fans are notoriously noisy. You could replace them but it depends on how much the tower is worth if its with doing.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 11:02   #3

It's also possible your operating system doesn't have the driver for the video card that's in the PC, so it's just using one of its defaults.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 10:59   #4

And as a side note, just check the fan for "gunk" sometimes they build up with allsorts of deposits in there...

Also as mentioned if the correct drivers and not install for the video card, it could be working overtime, check the task manager and see if anything is running things too high, if this looks OK then its a physical issue with the fan...

Hope this helps
Bob97531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 19:09   #5
Senior Member+

Resolution a bit more manageable now since I found a hitherto unknown button on the underside of the monitor! The noise is still there but it only kicks in after the pc has been on about 10 mins, so I'm reckoning fan. I've had a look at task manager but it's all gibberish really, I wouldn't know what's high or not!
How do I find out if the thing hasn't got the drivers it needs?
Old 29-08-2012, 19:14   #6
Senior Member+

Anything you can tell us about the computer? is it that has a name/branded etc.
Old 31-08-2012, 14:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Resolution a bit more manageable now since I found a hitherto unknown button on the underside of the monitor! The noise is still there but it only kicks in after the pc has been on about 10 mins, so I'm reckoning fan. I've had a look at task manager but it's all gibberish really, I wouldn't know what's high or not!
How do I find out if the thing hasn't got the drivers it needs?
With regards to task manager, just look under the "performance" tab, if any of these look to be maxed out then its "resource" hungry, this would involve finding what hoggin all the resources and sorting that.... if its not high then yes, suspect the fan...

As for the drivers, if XP or win 7, right click my computer and select "manage" once in there look for "Device Manager" expand this and if there is any little yellow exclamation marks these need addresssing, if not look for your "sound, video etc" and check out whats installed, open up the machine and find the graphics card and check they match...

Kind of...
Bob97531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..