Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 20:30   #1

increase download speed?

Just wondering is there any way to improve my download speed? im on O2 home broadband and get upto 8mb but a few tests on a couple of websites indicate im getting more like 2. my signal from the router on my pc is usually around halfway, is there anyway to improve this without moving the router or pc as both need to stay where they are. the router is downstairs pc is upstairs (dunno if that matters but thought it was best to mention it). its not as if its running slow as it is, just prefer to get it a little bit closer to what im paying for lol. any suggestions welcome.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2008, 21:30   #2
God Member

Re: increase download speed?

Websites are often a bad judge of speed. Try downloading Ubuntu linux disk (just for a speed test) from Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu and download using the Kent University Mirror.

When it says up to 8Mb it depends how close you are at the exchange. If you know how to login to your router, it should show you at what speed you sync at, post that info here.

Also make sure the router is plugged into the master telephone socket as this improves the speed at which it syncs at.
Old 09-11-2008, 23:29   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Also make sure the router is plugged into the master telephone socket as this improves the speed at which it syncs at.
Please explain why that is true.

There is 2 miles of 50 year old cable from my house to the exchange so why should an extra few feet matter?
Old 09-11-2008, 23:33   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

There is 2 miles of 50 year old cable from my house to the exchange so why should an extra few feet matter?
I wondered the same and also had visions of him going to the pound shop and getting a cheap and nasty extension lead to replace the existing cable fitted already, that would of course be a huge improvement.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 23:49   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

I presume it is because household extensions are not of the same quality. Upstairs I sync at 14Mb, downstairs at the master I sync at 20Mb.

Perhaps I'm wrong though, I'm no cable expert!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:04   #6

Would something like this help?

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:51   #7
Senior Member+

have you rung o2 and spoken to them? they might not be giving you your full speed (or something lol, i had a problem and ringing them sorted it)

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:04   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I presume it is because household extensions are not of the same quality. Upstairs I sync at 14Mb, downstairs at the master I sync at 20Mb.

Perhaps I'm wrong though, I'm no cable expert!
I don't use "household extensions". When I was on ADSL I did not use the little nasty plug in micro filters either. I used an ADSL master socket front in place of the standard BT master socket front.

Here is a link to them although I used an original BT one before there went to self installed ADSL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADSLMaster.jpg (3.8 KB, 108 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..