Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 19:25   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

internet speed?

With virgin now offering up to 50 Mbps, ( not around here yet) I was wondering what everyone on here gets?

Through a phone line....my internet speed is 7.6 Mbps

Id get 50 when it finally arrives, but chance will be fine thing
Old 06-01-2009, 19:29   #2
Senior Member+

Re: internet speed?

I am at present on 54MBPS . thats on bt
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 19:34   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

sorry i mean 7.6 Mb

20 is the fastest up to now, untill the 50 one comes out
Old 06-01-2009, 19:35   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
I am at present on 54MBPS . thats on bt
A wireless router?
Old 06-01-2009, 19:39   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
A wireless router?

Yes ; Mick put it in the other day , Thanks Mick
Old 06-01-2009, 19:42   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Whats ya speed from BT, a wireless router is 54mbps, but it isnt your top speed from your ISP
Old 06-01-2009, 21:04   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Whats ya speed from BT, a wireless router is 54mbps, but it isnt your top speed from your ISP
This is where it starts to get interesting (if you are sad that is)

Your router is 54Mbs yes (unless your on n), you will never get that speed in real use. You will probably get at most 1/2 that. This is down to the network overheads and the losses you get due to using WEP or WPA/2.

So if you had an internet connection much over 20Mbs you would not get the full speed to your wifi connected PC. You would need to be on a draft n router (and suitably enabled PC) to make use of your 50Mps.

I am sure someone will go and google for the speed stats, I am just repeated what the Cisco trainer explained to me when I did a Cisco training course a few months ago. His opinion or wireless was a bit like mine - its ok if you can't wire the network properly but is very useful for laptops.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:13   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This is where it starts to get interesting (if you are sad that is)

Your router is 54Mbs yes (unless your on n), you will never get that speed in real use. You will probably get at most 1/2 that. This is down to the network overheads and the losses you get due to using WEP or WPA/2.

So if you had an internet connection much over 20Mbs you would not get the full speed to your wifi connected PC. You would need to be on a draft n router (and suitably enabled PC) to make use of your 50Mps.

I am sure someone will go and google for the speed stats, I am just repeated what the Cisco trainer explained to me when I did a Cisco training course a few months ago. His opinion or wireless was a bit like mine - its ok if you can't wire the network properly but is very useful for laptops.
Well I haven't a clue what all the info above is all about Neil, WEP and WPA/2 are all over my head, I only know that when I press the on button my laptop comes alive. The thing is I'm to computer tecknowledgey as Bernard Manning was to Hang Gliding
Old 07-01-2009, 10:30   #9
Resting in Peace

WEP and WPA/2 are security on the wireless routers
its to stop people using your wireless network .
i am with virgin media and on 10meg
they upgraded my speed from 4meg to 10meg for free but the set top box i had was not capable of supporting that speed so they sent me a separate modem
i then phoned there help line only to ask when the speed upgrade would be applied they told me the next day which it was but also another modem arrived in the post so i now have a spare modem

There is noway i am going to pay the price they are asking for the 50meg
for what i do 10meg is enough for me
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:38   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
He is on 2mb but while i was installing his fancy wireless router
NETGEAR® RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N
Router WNDR3300.
bt phoned him and his contract was up on his broadband we got £2 off the broadband and upgrade to 5mb to carry on with them

just a note to this
while i was setting his router up i was checking everything was ok when i went to look for the broadband signal i inadvertently logged on to another net gear router that had no security i was about to set his security when i realised i was on the wrong router so someone nearly got there security set for them hehe
its someone very close as the signal was strong but the router had a diff number his is a 3300

Last edited by Mick; 07-01-2009 at 11:06.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:14   #11
God Member

There is a reasoned case against enabling encryption as long as you secure the router to known MACS and hide the ESSID.

WEP is next to useless and can be broken in about 10 mins now.

WPA/2 is secure but.... it has an overhead on the router and PC. YOU then have to ask what are you actually hiding? All(decent) financial websites are SSL encrypted anyway to 128bit so you won't be breaking them very fast so your CC/Bank details are all safe.
So whats left? your MSN mesasages? your basic browsing?

Lets be honest, if someone wants your bank details its far easier to put your window in and rob your wallet/bank books etc. or to knock you on the head witha big stick when you are coming home one dark night. Security is as good as teh weakest link in teh chain and windows and human beings aren't that good.

What you should be concerned about is stopping people using your internet connection maliciously. there are two ways this will happen, an insecure network where they can log on or by your machine being vunerable to viruses/trojans and you doing it without realising.

lock your router to teh known MAC codes and hide the ESSID Turn the router off when not in use by you ort your family. Its not perfect but more than good enough to stop the casual hacker in teh same way that locking your car stops teh casual car thief. A pro car thief will take your car no matter what ( threaten for keys, looking official and loading it on a low loader etc ). In teh same way a pro hacker will have your data if they really want it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 14:14   #12
Senior Member+

BT have upgraded my download speed from 5mb to 10 mb or the most i can get depending on how far i live from the exchange box. This will start in the next few weeks . I also got £2 off my broadband payments a month .
Old 07-01-2009, 15:00   #13
God Member

when it changes your internet will be a little unstable as the router and exchange try to work out the maximum possible stable speed. Be aware of this and it won't seem so much of a problem. It usually takes about 7-10 days to settle. Try to leave your router switched on for the whole of this time. once its settled you can turn it off as and when you want.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 15:54   #14
Senior Member+

Thanks for that Entwisi . I am leaving it switched on all the time .
Old 07-01-2009, 16:30   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
when it changes your internet will be a little unstable as the router and exchange try to work out the maximum possible stable speed. Be aware of this and it won't seem so much of a problem. It usually takes about 7-10 days to settle. Try to leave your router switched on for the whole of this time. once its settled you can turn it off as and when you want.
I'm on BT Broadband and have router Ian, and I leave it on 247, is that a good or a bad idea, just wandering seeing I'm a computer thick head

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..