Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2014, 17:06   #76
Beacon of light

Re: iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Half past 2 at Mables!
That was my response too Son.
I think when you are very competent(and comfortable) at something you think other people are the same...almost expect them to be able to do what you find easy.
It doesn't come easy to many of us.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2014, 17:25   #77
Senior Member+

Sorry I misspelled xbmc

I've never used iPad I assumed they were like the rest having to use iTunes to add stuff
Old 17-09-2014, 17:38   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
As for Itunes Rob....I don't really listen to music on my Ipad..and i haven't bought any itunes music....I have managed quite easily to transfer stuff already bought and on my desktop to my Ipad library.
Well done that lady.
Old 17-09-2014, 17:48   #79
Beacon of light

Oh, I'm not so dusty if I set my mind to it.
It is just that I have to want to do it enough to make me learn how...and the fact that I hate to be beaten by something that has no brain.

Many years ago I was a weaver......and there used to be an old saying....you can mek a weaver into owt, but you can't mek owt into a weaver!
Old 17-09-2014, 17:52   #80
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Sorry I misspelled xbmc

I've never used iPad I assumed they were like the rest having to use iTunes to add stuff
Well, yes you do have to use itunes to transfer stuff, but you can add any music to your itunes library(not bought from itunes) on your desktop(or laptop) then transfer it to the Ipad...it can't be hard because I can do it and I'm thick.
I really do begrudge giving them money for stuff......I mainly use free apps...the only apps I have paid for are some educational ones for Spindleshanks(Brainfeed is his favourite)
Old 17-09-2014, 18:19   #81
Senior Member+

I remember sony bringing out a "netMD" which was a minidisc player you could transfer stuff to disc via USB. You could only use their program(worse than itunes if you could believe it!) called Sonic Stage and you had to "check in/out" your music. Which meant you couldn't delete the disc manually with the minidisc walman itself. Stupid. Later sony mp3 players also had the same debilitating feature where you could only use Sonic Stage... Much like Ipods and Iphones till software such as mediamoney came around that allowed you to transfer stuff back off the ipod...

So locked are these devices that are capable of so much more. This is why Android will always be better than IOS. Not much freedom. Earlier IPODs such as 5th gen Video IPOD you could flash custom firmware such as rockbox. You could play 24bit audio(remember those superaudio CD's that never took off?) on a device not marketed to be capable of doing so. FLAC files... the lot! Oh, you could throw away crappy Itunes and just transfer directly to the hard drive the way EVERY device should.

starting to sound like a rant haha....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinmables
Half past 2 at Mables!
Visual explanation just for you dave....

Old 17-09-2014, 20:14   #82
Senior Member+

iPad

iTunes is a pain. I use copy trans manager to transfer music to my phone.
http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php
Restless likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 20:22   #83
Beacon of light

If I was really into music on my Ipad then perhaps I would give that a go.......but I haven't found the transfer of files that tedious.
What is tedious about the Ipad is that you cannot(even with a card reader specific to the Ipad) transfer files from SD cards...that you cannot expand the capacity.
What would be wrong with the Ipad having an expansion slot?

That said, it hasn't made me convert to Android and Google....and if my Ipad packed up tomorrow I would be out there getting another one...and I think Apple rely on folk like me.
Old 17-09-2014, 21:12   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If I was really into music on my Ipad then perhaps I would give that a go.......but I haven't found the transfer of files that tedious.
What is tedious about the Ipad is that you cannot(even with a card reader specific to the Ipad) transfer files from SD cards...that you cannot expand the capacity.
What would be wrong with the Ipad having an expansion slot?

That said, it hasn't made me convert to Android and Google....and if my Ipad packed up tomorrow I would be out there getting another one...and I think Apple rely on folk like me.
I might be wrong but don't the larger iPads have expansion slots?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 21:21   #85
Beacon of light

No....the cellular ones have a slot for a SIM card, but none of the iPads currently on the market have expansion slots.
Mine is just the wifi model.
Old 18-09-2014, 21:01   #86

This may be a bit of useless information but...

In the early days of owning my iPad, I tended to use up some of my monthly data allowance on updating various apps etc. However quite by accident I discovered that my local Barclays Bank provides a free WiFi service. I have six updates to do this week, so in the morning I will pop down to get them done. I don't even have to go inside the bank.
Old 18-09-2014, 21:20   #87
Beacon of light

Ah, so yours is cellular.
There are quite a few places that have free wifi.....the only drawback is that it is not secure......so anyone can see what you are doing....so not a good place to update your internet banking
Old 18-09-2014, 21:28   #88

I'm careful about Internet banking. I either tether my mobile or use a wireless modem, both of which need a code. I am with the Three network and get 1gb with the modem and 2gb with the phone.
Old 25-09-2014, 17:58   #89
Senior Member+

I recently purchased an ipod touch 5th gen and its custom keyboards come with a nice warning "the developers might see everything you type using a custom keyboard including sensitive data like credit cards" yeah we knew this with android, but rooted with a good blocking app, you can block all activity such as this.... not an option on iphone. Perhaps if jailbroken? ios8 isnt jailbroken yet....

Oh having said ipod. I just rediscovered just how crap itunes is. And.... right on schedule they changed it so much where it didn't need changing I don't recognise it. GRRR Crapper than ever!
Old 25-09-2014, 17:59   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Ah, so yours is cellular.
Nah he said wifi not cellular

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..