Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2009, 15:37   #1

Thumbs down is my laptop ready for the graveyard!

hi, had a problem other week with the laptop, very dark screen, at the shop, said it needed a new inverter(think thats what he said) got it home, could, nt get windows, back to the shop, he says computer won,t pick the hard drive up or something to that effect, nothing wrong with the hard drive, he,s giving it one last try(hes had it for 2 weeks) if he can,t do it thats it he says theres nothing more he can do, his he right , the laptop is only 2 and half years old, fujitsu siemens amilo l. marg.
marg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2009, 15:42   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: is my laptop ready for the graveyard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg. View Post
hi, had a problem other week with the laptop, very dark screen, at the shop, said it needed a new inverter(think thats what he said) got it home, could, nt get windows, back to the shop, he says computer won,t pick the hard drive up or something to that effect, nothing wrong with the hard drive, he,s giving it one last try(hes had it for 2 weeks) if he can,t do it thats it he says theres nothing more he can do, his he right , the laptop is only 2 and half years old, fujitsu siemens amilo l. marg.
If he's had the thing for a fortnight and can't make his mind up, get it back take it somewhere else and get a second opinion.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 18:18   #3

If the screen is very black then yes it may wel be the backlight inverter board, usually available on Eby etc.

Like this although may not be the same model.
Although... is it always dark, does it ever flicker brighter?
Could also be the switch or cabling.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 18:23   #4
God Member

shine a torch on it look very closely and when it is switched on if it shows your anything its your back lamp..
Old 25-06-2009, 18:40   #5

hi, sorry,misled you slightly, it was the invertor to start with, he put a new one in,got it home fujitsu logo came on bright enough, new invertor worked, but then that was it, no windows, nothing, so took it straight back( because windows was on before the brightness went, thats when he said the hard drive was not picking up windows or words to that effect.
Old 25-06-2009, 18:55   #6

it shouldnt take more than a day to diagnose any pc fault. imho, if its finding the hard drive but not windows can you not just reinstall windows? check in the bios to see if its finding the hard drive.

Last edited by sausage butty; 25-06-2009 at 19:01.
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 19:13   #7

hi, shop has still got the laptop, he,s tried reinstalling windows more than once but says hard drive not picking it up.
Old 25-06-2009, 19:18   #8

I hope you can get it sorted,but i dont think it will be cheep my be you may have to bye a new one
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 19:20   #9

you would think with it only being 2 and a half years old it would still have a bit of life left in it.
Old 25-06-2009, 20:32   #10
God Member

ive just read it right is it vista home basic ,i knew somebody who had the same model and his usb went in fact he said it was the worse laptop hes ever had.think he bought from tesco.and it wasnt cheap either.
Old 25-06-2009, 21:09   #11
God Member

more likely it could be a sata drive,, I had a nightmare recently with one wher teh Windows disk wouldn't 'see' teh disk.

It does sound like teh 'tech' guy doesn't really know his onions though. IMHO i'd be getting it back from him before he does real damage

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 21:45   #12

Sounds like, when fixing the fault they introduced another, perhaps by disturbing the connections to the drive.

May need opening up & checking again.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 09:25   #13

hi, will know later today if he has been able to fix it or NOT, keeping everything crossed!
Old 28-06-2009, 12:20   #14

sorted?
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 20:58   #15

hi, he,s giving one last try, will definately know late tomorrow when i get it back, either dead or alive!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..