Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 13:44   #1

iTunes alternative for Linux?

I've just googled for linux itunes alternatives, and while there seem to be plenty of them, there doesn't seem to be a comparative review. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I'll be honest - I don't use itunes, so I have no idea what I'm looking for. Basically, a work colleague has trashed her Vista installation, and as long as she gets her photos, docs and music back from the laptop, she'll be happy. I've pulled the drive and copied all the files across to a different PC, so now I'm just interested in getting it back up and running.

It was running Vista home basic, installed by one of these companies that gives out Dell laptops for "free" as long as you sign up to a mobile broadband deal. It has no recovery partition, and no CDs.

I have a HP vista home premium machine, so I'm not convinced any recovery disc I make from that will work for repairing her installation. I'm going to suggest an upgrade to Ubuntu, partly because I can't find an online copy for her particular "flavour" of vista, but mostly because the laptop only has 1GB of RAM so it's not really running well anyway.

Any consensus on the way forward?

Edit: There is a windows product code on the bottom of the PC, so if all vista discs are the same, and it's the code that determines the "flavour", then I might just download it.

Last edited by Studio25; 07-05-2012 at 13:46. Reason: Addendum
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2012, 13:56   #2
Senior Member+

Re: iTunes alternative for Linux?

What iPod have you got
Old 07-05-2012, 16:36   #3

She's got one of those early white ones, with a circular dial. I'm fairly sure it only does music. It's got 8 GB memory.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 20:10   #4
Senior Member+

Can you be sure which exactly? that could be forth gen? if so....

Mod it with ROCKBOX. Afterwards you can just plug it into any computer and drag and drop. You need to backup the music on it first(if required). You can use mediamonkey on windows for that.

There are tons of reasons to mod with Rockbox.

1) better sound quality 2) better battery life(in most cases) 3) much more support with different audio files 4) HDD/Flash drive like response for drag and drop(NO MORE RUBBISH ITUNES FOREVER)

* B U R N * D O W N * T H E * D I S C O *: My Three Favorite Kernels-- Linux - emCORE - Rockbox part 1

^ most my post here is balls, but, read the part about rockbox if you want to know more-- my blog about it is in relation to another way to install it on the later Ipod Classic. so ignore that bit, just read about Rockbox. Its worth it

Rockbox - Free Music Player Firmware

edit: of course you have to convince her that running linux on the ipod is also a good idea!! LOL if you can't then that post of mine wasn't that helpful.

OK: you could just download a copy of vista home basic from a download site. (torrents whatever) and then use the keycode that is on the laptop and just reinstall vista. BUT your suggestion of unbuntu is better

Last edited by Restless; 07-05-2012 at 20:14.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:18   #5
God Member

for buying music through or just playback?

I used to use amarok when i had my ipod ( which of course dual booted linux! ) and it worked well. The earlier ones are easier to get working as they messed with the storage principle later on.

I didn't buy stuff through iTunes though. you "can" get some some versions of iTunes working under Linux but its a hassle.

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..