Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2015, 21:41   #1
Full Member+

Angry Laptop problem

My laptop is driving me mad so can someone please help ? When I Google a website it comes up reasonably quickly BUT then I cannot get any where on the site as along the bottom of the screen it says ' ???? is not responding due to a long running script.' It is happening all the time. We did have problems with the broadband which has now been fixed .It was dropping frequently. I have just had a new battery in the laptop and it has had an overall which I thought would rectify the problem but it has made no difference. The broadband is very slow so could that be the reason. Hope one of you clever folk can help before I throw the laptop through the window.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2015, 21:50   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Laptop problem

What browser are you using and is it, flash and java up to date?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 22:17   #3
Full Member+

Sorry for the delay in answering you but the Accringtonweb is not responding to a long running script now !!!!! It is Google I'm using. Everything else should be ok because as I said it has only just been checked over and I know the guy who did it so if he says he has done something I can believe him. My son put Windows10 on it a while back and I have to say I have not liked it.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:41   #4
Senior Member+

Haven`t used Chrome but had a similar problem with Firefox that went away after updating Flash and Java although after googling it seems it can also be caused by add-ons not working as they should, you could try temporarily disabling any you have running.

You can check your Java version here - https://www.java.com/en/

And Flash here - https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ (untick the Mcafee box if you don`t want it installed)
Restless likes this.

Last edited by gpick24; 11-12-2015 at 08:43.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:48   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Sorry for the delay in answering you but the Accringtonweb is not responding to a long running script now !!!!! It is Google I'm using. Everything else should be ok because as I said it has only just been checked over and I know the guy who did it so if he says he has done something I can believe him. My son put Windows10 on it a while back and I have to say I have not liked it.
Get rid of windows 10 I did. I had all sorts of problems with it
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:03   #6
Beacon of light

I also had recent problems with firefox.......followed Gpicks advice and was sorted fairly quickly.

So you didn't get along with Windows 10 Frank?
I was thinking of putting it on my desk top......every time I log off and come back on I get the reminder from Microsoft that I can upgrade to Windows 10.
Now I am having second thoughts.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:49   #7
Senior Member+

I've just had my PC in for a system clean up and a small problem sorting out.
He knows it, he built it.
He said 'Shall I install 10 for you while I have it'. I was dreading trying so I said yes.
It took him 2 days to sort out the problems it started. I brought it home on Wednesday, mouse didn't work,no sound, can only print the left hand side of an e mail.
Took it back in, sorted(?) came home, sound on but very quiet, still print problem with e mail,having to use an old Dell mouse.
He's coming here to sort it sometime.
If an expert has these problems what chance have old fogies like me got?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:57   #8
Full Member+

Thanks Gpicks. I will try that.
Old 11-12-2015, 14:49   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I also had recent problems with firefox.......followed Gpicks advice and was sorted fairly quickly.

So you didn't get along with Windows 10 Frank?
I was thinking of putting it on my desk top......every time I log off and come back on I get the reminder from Microsoft that I can upgrade to Windows 10.
Now I am having second thoughts.
I hated windows 10 from the beginning and reverted back to windows 8
Old 11-12-2015, 17:17   #10
Beacon of light

My neighbour loaded it and had problems and came to me to help her out...and I thought I was a dummy...anyway sorted it and she has gone back to windows 7
Old 11-12-2015, 17:27   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I hated windows 10 from the beginning and reverted back to windows 8
Same with us. I put it on both our LTs, tried it for a couple of weeks and we both decided we didn't like it at all so we reverted back to W7, our original installation.
It does all we want, very familiar with it, don't need anything more.
Same with phones, bought a couple of Android ones, much too complicated as we only need voice and text - OK, the camera is useful, so we dumped the Android ones and went back to basic Nokia. Battery charge life much longer, and provides what we want.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:53   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Same with us. I put it on both our LTs, tried it for a couple of weeks and we both decided we didn't like it at all so we reverted back to W7, our original installation.
It does all we want, very familiar with it, don't need anything more.
Same with phones, bought a couple of Android ones, much too complicated as we only need voice and text - OK, the camera is useful, so we dumped the Android ones and went back to basic Nokia. Battery charge life much longer, and provides what we want.
My wife will not part with her basic nokia. All she does is text and very occasionally ring.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:31   #13
Senior Member+

running windows 10 no problem now but on first installing I found I had to update and re-install a lot of programmes
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 20:46   #14
Senior Member+

Windows10 is great... turn off a bit of the crap and its much better than 8.....

Rowlf do you have a virus killer AVG/AVAST? do a scan...

also try malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/ and check for malware.. WIN10 is NOT your problem...something else is

Also.. are you using GOOGLE as a browser (EXAMPLE: GOOGLE CHROME) or are you using it to search (EXAMPLE: USING CRAPPY INTERNET EXPLORER AND GOING TO GOOGLE.COM) sorry for what might appear to be stupid questions...

Last edited by Restless; 17-12-2015 at 20:48.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 21:12   #15
Beacon of light

Rob, just out of interest ...which browser and search engine do you use?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..