Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 14:19   #1
Senior Member+

Low Disc Space

I know what it means & i do the disc clean up everytime it warns me.I only have about twenty music files on my hard drive & a few photos.I can't de-frag because of having such a low percentage of free disc space.I have deleted any programmes i don't use but there are some on here that were on the computer when i got it & don't know what they doso dare'nt risk deleting them.This does get annoying when burning a music file & can't burn the whole file due to low space.I don't want to fork out for an external H.D & did'nt have this problem before i started downloading music files.Does anyone have a solution,i'd be very grateful.
Old 09-11-2008, 14:32   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Low Disc Space

Control panel/add or remove programs/ then go through the list removing programs you don't use/want, once you've cleared the rubbish you should then have enough space to be able to defrag.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 14:33   #3
God Member

i have the same problem Maxy, i go through all that and you need sometimg like 15% free disc space to be able to defrag, have you tried add/remove on your control panel? i went through mine the other week and removed loads of stuff, do you download movies? i do and i find that when i've watched them i have to delete them straight away so i can fit some more on my pc

apart from all that i havent a clue what to do

hope you get it sorted soon cos it doesnt half pee you off
Old 09-11-2008, 14:52   #4
Senior Member+

Done all the deleting programme business but dont know what sme of the programmes do as the previous owner put them on & don't want to risk cocking up the commy.As soon as i've burnt a disc i delete the file.Is it worth deleting programmes that im not sure about?
Old 09-11-2008, 15:10   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Do to

VBScript Tools by Bill James

and download

List Installed Programs

Then run the program, when it has finished it will ask if you wish to see that report click yes, then go to edit selectall right click on the report then copy, paste it into a P.M. to me and I'll have a look see what might be 'safely' removed.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 19:20   #6
God Member

how big is teh disc?

has it been partitioned and you are just full on one bit? ( in windows explorer look for C: D: E: drives. one or two will be your CD/DVD drives depending on how many you have )

if it has right click and select properties, note down the size and amount used for each and post them up here.

Ian

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 15:54   #7

just buy another hdd i might have a spare one somewhere just use that one for you media and reof deleting programs i would take a look at your pc if you want to (free of course)
tsar_nate is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..