Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2020, 15:08   #1
Full Member+

Misled by presuming the worst

I had just installed the February Windows 10 updates and went to print off an email that I had received and I got the "offline" message for my laser printer, however, I have an inkjet printer and was able to print the email off OK. This made me think that the update and the laser printer's driver were not compatible so I downloaded the newest driver that there was but I still got the "printer offline" message. I then deleted the Windows 10 update (not an job I'd ever do again as I think my blood pressure must have doubled whilst doing the job) then reload the printer driver again but still "printer offline"
I went on to a techy forum and asked for advice but the problem seemed to have everyone baffled so I decided to take the laser to a repair shop but as I took out the printer to computer cable out I found the socket on the printer very loose so I took off the side panel and found that two of the contacts holding the socket to the formatter board (I didn't know it was called that at the time but I thought I'd show I now talk techy) I went online and found that a reconditioned board could be purchased for £26 and it was an easy job to replace. So with the printer now working well again I sit back and think how I jumped to the conclusion and presumed that it must be W10 update that was the problem because there are always messages on forums about how updates have caused countless problems when installed.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2020, 15:47   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Misled by presuming the worst

It has been a learning experience...and all learning experiences cost something...money, time,blood pressure....but in the end you have got it sorted.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 19:23   #3
Senior Member+

a facepalm moment when you found out it wasnt the windows update
Old 06-03-2020, 22:47   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Hello Fella! Not seen you around for a while (says he who has also been visiting the sight pretty sporadically)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:31   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Hello Fella! Not seen you around for a while (says he who has also been visiting the sight pretty sporadically)

Its been a while. Thought id pop in and say how do
Old 09-03-2020, 13:25   #6
Full Member+

Yes Restless the fact is I have so many horror stories about Window updates I never thought of anything else it could have been so yes the picture is perhaps a good likeness of my face after finding the uninstall was not needed. And perhaps the fact that a relative gave me a book for my birthday entitled "A Grumpy Old Git's Guide for Life" might give you some indication of my mood at the time.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..