Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 20:22   #1
Senior Member+

More laptop problems!

Kelsey's laptop has gone off on one again tonight, it was working just fine and then we got the message " windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt; \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2009, 21:56   #2
I am Banned

Re: More laptop problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Kelsey's laptop has gone off on one again tonight, it was working just fine and then we got the message " windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt; \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Any ideas?
Restart hold down F8 go into safe mode and roll back to yesterday, the when youve got it working properly make a restore point, which you can always go back to.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:35   #3
God Member

I think that she isn't far enough in to get to a safe mode start.

Linds, this is on a Black screen I assume?

If it is I'm afraid its a re-install of Windows. If she has data on that she needs to backup your friendly local Linux Ubuntu Live CD is your friend. You should be able to just splat Windows over the top but its always better to make sure you have data safe before starting anythinkg like this. I have seen Windows decide to format the partition automagically.

Shout if you want instructions on how to do this or if you can drop it off with details of where the data is I'll back it up for you.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:34   #4
Resting in Peace

There might not be a need for a full reinstall .......
put the XP disc in make sure its booting from the disc and not the harddrive the options are to install etc you could try xp repair this might reinstall the corrupt file
if this does not work then its a full install
but worth a try first
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:26   #5
Senior Member+

Thanks for help guys, it's just a black screen and pressing f8 just doesn't do anything. Entwisi, where do you live? maybe able to get it to you althoughi don't drive. Neil fixed it last time, put a brand new hard disk in it only a couple of months back.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:04   #6
God Member

Mick, XP 'Repair' only drops you to a command line prompt, if you don't know how to fix it from there its useless.

if you choose to 'install' you then get an option to 'repair' which actually doesn't, it just splats a complete copy of windows over the top of the old install with no concern if that file was broken or not. You then often have to re-download all the updates /service packs again. Thats not a 'repair' in my book.

Linds, I'll PM you my addy. Obviously I'm at work all day but usually in after 5:30.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Mick, XP 'Repair' only drops you to a command line prompt, if you don't know how to fix it from there its useless.
Step by step details of command prompt repairs are easily found on the web, I have used this method many, many times to repair faulty P.C.'s it is not a very difficult procedure to use.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17   #8
God Member

from Lindseys quoted error it suggests that a number of files and/or directories are missing. there are many reasons why you may need to do a repair, often its just fixing a MBR

Care to let her know a comprehensive list that need to be replaced?

Also lets not even get into the potential for needing SATA drivers if her recovery disk etc hasn't got them streamlined.

For some people we enjoy hacking around fixing things and using the Repair console is an acceptable way, other just want their PC to work. Feel free to offer assistance in my place if you have a better solution or more time available than me.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:40   #9

Quote:
from Lindseys quoted error it suggests that a number of files and/or directories are missing. there are many reasons why you may need to do a repair, often its just fixing a MBR

Care to let her know a comprehensive list that need to be replaced?

Also lets not even get into the potential for needing SATA drivers if her recovery disk etc hasn't got them streamlined.

For some people we enjoy hacking around fixing things and using the Repair console is an acceptable way, other just want their PC to work. Feel free to offer assistance in my place if you have a better solution or more time available than me.
As usual when someone offers a different point of view to you, you use bluster and worse case scenario in an attempt to appear 'top dog'.

Just get on with it and try to refrain from frightening people into thinking things are far more difficult than they can be, yes, sometimes the fault can't be repaired using this method but any reasonable user should be offered this method as a possible fix rather than it just being dismissed by a 'Guru' as too difficult.

If it works then great, if it doesn't then o.k. resorting to other fixes may be the way to go.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:04   #10
God Member

Utter rubbish, for a windows user to be dropped to a CLI with miniscule help commands available is not something I'd recommend any non technical user to even try.

The internet is full of 'guides' and howto's with very little checked for accuracy and every one comes with a gurarantee worth exactly what you paid for it..

I'm sure Lindsey will make her own mind up as to the best way forward in her case.

You seem to have recently taken offence to my 'title' as this is not the first time you make some comment about it. Perhaps you need to take it in the same manner you have for the previous 4 and a bit years and relax about the whole thing.... See that smiley at the end?????????

Old 04-06-2009, 12:02   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I think all the drivers are sat in a folder on C: drive. They were all easily downloaded from the manufacturers web site.

When I installed the new drive it is SATA and there were no issues with it. The install just worked.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:40   #12
God Member

OK Mate, I had a right nightmare with one the other month. the user had lost the disk and the drivers from the manufacturers website didn't work ( that was after I'd found a floppy to put them on!). I ended up finding out that the board was a clone of another make and the drivers for that worked.

did you use Lindseys disk or your own?

Old 04-06-2009, 12:41   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
did you use Lindseys disk or your own?
Lindsay has the XP install disk, she will need to give it to you
Old 04-06-2009, 15:35   #14
God Member

you can reinstall fresh windows on top of windows and keep not only your files but your programs too

Langa Letter: XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option -- Windows XP Management

iv done it myself in similar situations

you will need teh same cd or windows relase that was used to install whats on your computer

thats if teh repair options dont work when you boot from cd you can fix certain things, formatting is a last resort

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 17:19   #15

Quote:
Utter rubbish, for a windows user to be dropped to a CLI with miniscule help commands available is not something I'd recommend any non technical user to even try.

The internet is full of 'guides' and howto's with very little checked for accuracy and every one comes with a gurarantee worth exactly what you paid for it..

I'm sure Lindsey will make her own mind up as to the best way forward in her case.

You seem to have recently taken offence to my 'title' as this is not the first time you make some comment about it. Perhaps you need to take it in the same manner you have for the previous 4 and a bit years and relax about the whole thing.... See that smiley at the end?????????
Someone doesn't agree with you so they are wrong, just because you have problem's with Windows and can't fettle it without a criticism doesn't mean it's a dead end, there are lot's of us out here that can do similar to you but we do it quietly through P.M.'s and dare i say Windows based MSN we just don't need the drama you turn into a mystery.

It's Windows, it's all out there, use it or stick to your limited Linux.

As for a 'title', no offence but really, anyone that thinks they are that good needs to be avoided, we all make mistakes but yours must be classic! How can the perfect make ordinary mistakes?

So far as Lindsey is concerned I hope you fix it, I want it up and running I'm not trying to steal her away from you, get on with it but don't make a pantomime out of it.

You can't use the facilities windows provides so they must be wrong not YOU.

Last edited by Less; 04-06-2009 at 17:22.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..