Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2014, 16:03   #1

Plusnet - Any Good?

Does anyone use Plusnet (despite them being based in Yorkshire)? What's your opinion?

I've just been through an online chat with them - I've been assured my neighbour can move from BT at his current house and keep his number (same exchange). Has anyone ever had problems with this? He asked TalkTalk and they categorically stated he couldn't keep it when moving and changing providers.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2014, 16:05   #2

Re: Plusnet - Any Good?

(posted this on Accyweb too for a wider audience)

Old 08-01-2014, 16:35   #3
Senior Member+

I have had a conversation with plusnet and what they are offering is not much different to bt .You pay extra for caller display and 1471 with plusnet
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 17:13   #4
JFT96

Used to use them. But The bandwidth limit was to low for me. Customer support was non existent. BT were better. I now have Sky fibre, got great customer support

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 22:41   #5
Senior Member+

Plusnet is owned by the BT Group, they bought the company in 2007, although they operate as a separate company.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 22:58   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Really, never would have guessed.

Why are you thinking of changing, is it a money saving or are you not happy with current providers service?

Last edited by gpick24; 08-01-2014 at 23:02.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:55   #7

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Used to use them. But The bandwidth limit was to low for me. Customer support was non existent. BT were better. I now have Sky fibre, got great customer support
I thought they all used Openreach to supply the line, so you basically got the same bandwidth, whichever supplier you went to - is that a flawed understanding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Really, never would have guessed.
Oops - I intended to add that bit to BB247 - just so people knew I'd asked in multiple places. There's nothing worse than spamming multiple sites for an opinion and getting several people to spend time and effort typing up exactly the same thing.

Quote:
Why are you thinking of changing, is it a money saving or are you not happy with current providers service?
Money saving for me. My neighbour is moving house and is currently with BT. He gets poor performance, but obviously that might change at the new house even if he sticks with BT. I've been looking into it for him, and am tempted by Plusnet which is £2.50 for 12 months, plus line rental. After that there's an extra fiver per month. We'd both have to make a one-off payment for having a line installed too.

For the next 18 months, my internet will cost me £684. If I contracted to Plusnet for that time, my speed would halve and it would cost £352.

If nothing else, doing this research gives me a whole bunch of numbers I can take to Virgin to try and get a better deal, and a plan for getting a connection up if they decide they can't do anything for me and I have to shut it down.

Last edited by Studio25; 09-01-2014 at 08:57. Reason: Forgot to say thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 09:20   #8
Senior Member+

That is quite a saving, but virgin take some beating on performance. I pay for 60Mb, and that`s what I get. Very rarely any downtime. I`ve changed suppliers in the past to save money, but every time there`s been problems with either slow speeds or not working at all, and you`re then on the phone for hours trying to get it sorted.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 18:15   #9
God Member

bt have a good deal on fibre optic just now. its fast
Old 09-01-2014, 19:15   #10
JFT96

When I was with plus net, I had normal broadband. Not five. openreach is for fibre I think.
Sky fibre is only 12 month not 18

Old 09-01-2014, 21:11   #11
God Member

ive got open reach kit with my fibre optic its the dogs . i have managed to hook up 10 laptops to it and it didnt slow down..
Old 10-01-2014, 06:40   #12
JFT96

Yes I too have openreach. Sky use the same lines as BT. The sky contract is only for 12 months.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:19   #13

Quote:
That is quite a saving, but virgin take some beating on performance...
Yep - that's the main worry. Virgin Media/NTL has been down just three or four times since we got it 12 years ago.

Fibre Optic from Openreach won't arrive here for another 12 months.

Old 15-01-2014, 18:31   #14

I've been with Plusnet for a couple of years and found their customer services very good, and I have anytime phone calls included for less than £300 per annum. My problem is with broadband speed (s l o w) but Plusnet tell me that this is because of the copper telephone cable and my distance from the telephone exchange. Virgin Media is a tempting but expensive option, perhaps.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..