Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2010, 19:48   #1
Senior Member+

Security Tool!

Anyone had any problems with this bogus anti-virus and security tool called "Security Tool" downloads onto your computer and then becomes a real problem as it keeps putting up "pop up windows" and telling you your computer is under attack. I had it for about 1 1/2 hours this afternoon and struggled to get rid of it. It even started to block me using my Broadband Manager and getting an internet connection to get advice and download software to delete it, it was stopping me - but I got rid of it in the end!

How To Remove Security Tool and other Rogue/Fake Antivirus Malware - How-To Geek
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2010, 18:49   #2

Re: Security Tool!

Yep,
My brother had security tool, took a couple of hours to get rid of using malware bytes. Then my dad had a different version. Took 14 bleeding hours to fix. Wouldnt even let me run task manager. Now my brothers got another version. Gonna fix it this weekend.
No idea how they pick em up, i never get em. This ones xp internet security 2010.
Gonna put every malware blocker i can on it after i fix it.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 06:25   #3
God Member

There is a core windows bug that will allow malware to install itself completely bypassing windows security UAC.

Microsoft yet to comment.........

Link to more details

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11...s_0day_report/

Last edited by entwisi; 25-11-2010 at 06:31.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 06:41   #4
God Member

and more those with intimate knowledge of code..

Bypassing UAC with User Privilege under Windows Vista/7 - CodeProject

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Old 27-11-2010, 15:57   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
and more those with intimate knowledge of code..

Bypassing UAC with User Privilege under Windows Vista/7 - CodeProject
You wouldn't have to go to all this trouble if you used Linux. Ask less.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 20:57   #6
God Member

I know, I sent him a PM but he didn't respond...

Linux? maybe you should tell me more, It sounds sooooo good

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Old 28-11-2010, 18:39   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
Yep,
My brother had security tool, took a couple of hours to get rid of using malware bytes. Then my dad had a different version. Took 14 bleeding hours to fix. Wouldnt even let me run task manager. Now my brothers got another version. Gonna fix it this weekend.
No idea how they pick em up, i never get em. This ones xp internet security 2010.
Gonna put every malware blocker i can on it after i fix it.
If you back up your files regularly - you get rid of it by restoring from a time before you got the malware!
Also this malware lurks at dodgy Gambling sites and other dodgy web-sites so steer clear of incharted territories with loads of pop ups for gambling and so on - because that's where the traps lurk.
Old 29-11-2010, 09:35   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
If you back up your files regularly - you get rid of it by restoring from a time before you got the malware!
Also this malware lurks at dodgy Gambling sites and other dodgy web-sites so steer clear of incharted territories with loads of pop ups for gambling and so on - because that's where the traps lurk.
Pop ups what are them
Old 29-11-2010, 16:18   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Pop ups what are them
Web pages that "pop up" without you clicking on them - Security Tool puts one up that says something like "You have a virus on your computer" then when you click on it it downloads this malware onto your hard drive and then the fun starts!
Old 10-03-2011, 18:15   #10
Senior Member+

Just got back online after 3 days because of this bloody virus! Think it snuck on from Youtube as hadn't been on there in months and then suddenly get a security message box that said I had 22 (count 'em!!) assorted viruses, worms and trojans! Knew it was fake as the actual virus thing I have only picked up the one when I scanned it, obviously that one making itself look big! Couldn't even get on Internet in safe mode so a mate (bless him) put the cure on a memory stick and all sorted now! hate the shysters that do this though, try to get your credit card details, fleece you for the cure, which they will obviously not provide and leave you with a junked pc. Gits!
Old 10-03-2011, 18:31   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Just got back online after 3 days because of this bloody virus! Think it snuck on from Youtube as hadn't been on there in months and then suddenly get a security message box that said I had 22 (count 'em!!) assorted viruses, worms and trojans! Knew it was fake as the actual virus thing I have only picked up the one when I scanned it, obviously that one making itself look big! Couldn't even get on Internet in safe mode so a mate (bless him) put the cure on a memory stick and all sorted now! hate the shysters that do this though, try to get your credit card details, fleece you for the cure, which they will obviously not provide and leave you with a junked pc. Gits!
I've had that one linds its a pain in the backside luckily I Have a mate who got shut of it in two minutes, after I'd been messing for hours
Old 12-03-2011, 14:53   #12
God Member

Just had it here as well, took me a while but its bloody gone now............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 22:26   #13
Senior Member+

^ ^ oh do they have to hijack every 'security' thread and bigup linux
Old 17-03-2011, 09:13   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Just had it here as well, took me a while but its bloody gone now............
I got it this morning pipin, took me 20 minutes to get shut, found the easiest way is to shut down then open up in safe mode, go to restore and just reset you computer back a couple of days, that got rid for me, its an easy way if your a computer numpty like me
Old 17-03-2011, 10:13   #15
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I got it this morning pipin, took me 20 minutes to get shut, found the easiest way is to shut down then open up in safe mode, go to restore and just reset you computer back a couple of days, that got rid for me, its an easy way if your a computer numpty like me
That's the way I have found best , Jaysay .

I've found that these attacks , or whatever they are called , have increased in number during the last few weeks .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..