Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2012, 20:51   #1

struggling to switch laptop on

I have a problem when trying to switch my laptop on. I have to remove the battery and replace it. It usually comes on straight away, is it a fan problem?
Any suggestions please...
Old 30-05-2012, 20:55   #2
I am Banned

Re: struggling to switch laptop on

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetrovers View Post
I have a problem when trying to switch my laptop on. I have to remove the battery and replace it. It usually comes on straight away, is it a fan problem?
Any suggestions please...
Sounds more like a bad connection, have you checked the battery terminals.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 21:17   #3
God Member

Sounds to me like your battery might be buggered, mine is on it's way out at the moment, had it 2 years from new
Old 31-05-2012, 07:14   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Does it work ok with no battery on it and just plugged into the power supply?

All the laptops I have tried with no battery worked ok. If it does work ok then it suggests it is a battery fault.
Old 31-05-2012, 08:45   #5

Further to Neil's comment - if you never use your laptop on battery power, there's no point having the battery in at all - it actually gets damaged through lack of use.

This is especially true if you shut it down or put it to sleep without unplugging it. Batteries don''t like that at all...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 08:51   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Further to Neil's comment - if you never use your laptop on battery power, there's no point having the battery in at all - it actually gets damaged through lack of use.

This is especially true if you shut it down or put it to sleep without unplugging it. Batteries don''t like that at all...
My Laptop must absolutely hate me then Studio
Old 31-05-2012, 10:05   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
My Laptop must absolutely hate me then Studio
Maybe once a week or so you could unplug it then plug it in again when it gets to 25% ish. That should help stop the battery failing
Old 31-05-2012, 11:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe once a week or so you could unplug it then plug it in again when it gets to 25% ish. That should help stop the battery failing
...or just pull out the power adapter jack before you go to bed. With the right power settings, the battery will discharge for a couple of hours then the laptop will go to sleep itself.

As Neil says, you only need to discharge and charge occasionally, but as I use my laptop at home and the office, it happens every day. I just set it to "sleep" whenever it goes back in the bag, and run it on battery until it complains at about 11am.

Old 31-05-2012, 18:52   #9
Resting in Peace

Cheers Neil and Ian, for the advice never given it a thought before but its easy to just unplug it when I retire in the evening then plug it back in in the morning
Old 31-05-2012, 19:30   #10

Most batteries actually develop a memory for their usage pattern.
If you seldom, if ever, run the battery power down then you battery will become very inefficient. The ideal way is to run on battery power as long as is feasible and once it gets below 10% power level then plug in the AC and recharge to full level. If you do that your battery will have a longer and happier life.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Cheers Neil and Ian, for the advice never given it a thought before but its easy to just unplug it when I retire in the evening then plug it back in in the morning
Well that's not as bad as it could be, if the power is disconnected when the laptop is off...

Just received two laptops yesterday, with power problems. One looks like it's had the cable yanked, so there's a bad connection to the laptop internals. The other looks like the power adapter cable is damaged - probably repair that by throwing the whole PSU out and getting a replacement...

Old 01-06-2012, 11:56   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Well that's not as bad as it could be, if the power is disconnected when the laptop is off...
When my laptop is switched off the charging light stays on till the battery is charged up, then changes oolour, batterys should be used regularly, why have a lap top, or a portable if its always plugged into the mains, might as well throw the battery away.

Last edited by Neil; 02-06-2012 at 10:18. Reason: fix quote
Old 01-06-2012, 20:44   #13

It turn's out that my laptop was switching on, but there is no image on the screen.
I took it into a computer shop on Blackburn Road, and the chap there reckon's it's the GRAPHIC CARD playing up.
So it look's like a visit to PC World or Comet to get a new laptop.
Thanks for everyone's suggestion's.
Old 01-06-2012, 22:10   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
It turn's out that my laptop was switching on, but there is no image on the screen.
I took it into a computer shop on Blackburn Road, and the chap there reckon's it's the GRAPHIC CARD playing up.
So it look's like a visit to PC World or Comet to get a new laptop.
Thanks for everyone's suggestion's.
I would get a 2nd opinion on that, why should removing the battery, and then replacing it affect the graphics card.
If you get a new one you will have a learning curve if you've never used win 7 before, I've had a computer with win 7 couldn't get my head round the stupid phrasiology, nowts where it should be, gave it to my daughter, she gave it back, said it was crap, must be something wrong with 7, or why is gates rushing out a new OS.
Old 01-06-2012, 22:13   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
is it a fan problem?
Well, you'd know all about them!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..