Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 19:59   #1
Senior Member+

Synaptics sufferer !!

My Advent Monza Notebook has a Synaptics Touchpad as part of it's Windows 7 services.... I have tried in every way to discover a method of adjusting the sensitivity of this to prevent it from interfering with my typing of text in MS Word...and on Facebook and other Internet areas which require text input.
I have followed every instruction and advice from many areas but cannot, via the Mouse Properties box find the various pages for adjusting the necessary settings !!.

Not wanting to keep on disabling the Touchpad..and then having to go through the restart procedure using a wheelmouse every day...as you will realise I am I suppose at my wits end as to where to go next.... and.. would value some advice from anyone having had a similar problem....Ta !...in anticipation !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2012, 21:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Synaptics sufferer !!

Have you tried looking up your notebook on the advant website and seeing if there is a drvier/touchpad settings tool ?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:45   #3
God Member

do you have the official Synaptics driver installed? If not your PC will default to basic HID (human Input device) settings so that it will work but will not offer you the advanced options that Synaptics drivers do.

Drivers | Synaptics

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 22:45   #4
Senior Member+

Thanks for your replies !...YES I have installed the relevant drivers from Synaptics and Device Manager tells me that these are the latest and are working properly...but they are not !..as my previous post outlined.
The techicians and FAQ's at both Advent and Synaptics are of little help...and 'Knowhow' do'nt appear to know how !!, and I am left without the means to adjust the settings which will allow me to control a cursor which due to the sensitivity of the touchpad, behaves totally erratically.
My old XP machine allows access to the settings, which makes me think that perhaps this problem might be generic to Windows 7...maybe ??.
Having 'done the right things' (I think!) to attempt to have my machine under my control...and not keep having to use the fn f6 function when typing text...is there anything else I can try ?? ( Without plumbing the depths of the Registry !! )....Hope so...

Alan.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:34   #5
God Member

does the System tray have an Synaptics icon/launcher in it? does that offer any settings options?

As you will be aware I'm a Linux bod so dont have a Windows 7 machine to check against

Ian

Old 10-07-2012, 08:52   #6
Senior Member+

Ian !!...Aye it does !!..and it opens up the Pointing Device Box..which opens up to reveal the Synaptics Logo which when opened reveals the useless information referred to earlier ...viz 'Wheelmouse' and not Synaptics Touchpad !!.
Curiously enough when checking the icon in the System Tray it also shows 'Accessories ...these are..Pressure Graph and Moodpad and when checked both produce a box
saying 'Sorry, this programme requires a Pointer Touchpad and the Synaptics Pointer Drivers '...which conflicts with the info provided by the Device Manager...now there's a mystery for you !!.
It seems to be a problem with the Drivers..some appear to be missing, but I can't do any more than use those downloaded and installed from Synaptics.
I take your point regarding your affection for Linux. but if any of your fellow experts can come up with a solution then I would be forever grateful..Alan,
Old 10-07-2012, 10:24   #7
God Member

is your mouse plugged in all the time? do you use the mouse for pointing and so want to permanently disable the touchpad?

Old 10-07-2012, 15:37   #8
Senior Member+

Have you tried the driver from here? If so already. Try reinstalling. Make sure you have the right driver IE 32bit or 64bit and reinstall. Afterwards try in control panel see if you have touchpad.

Drivers | Synaptics

Try looking in control panel see if there is a touchpad settings that has appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
does the System tray have an Synaptics icon/launcher in it? does that offer any settings options?

As you will be aware I'm a Linux bod so dont have a Windows 7 machine to check against

Ian
Virtual box??
Old 10-07-2012, 15:42   #9
Senior Member+

I can't even find a website where you can download advent drivers. How stupid is this company?...

edit: seems somebody has made an unofficial looking support forum... What is ur model #?

Look here

http://www.adventsupport.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=387
Old 10-07-2012, 19:31   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Have you tried the driver from here? If so already. Try reinstalling. Make sure you have the right driver IE 32bit or 64bit and reinstall. Afterwards try in control panel see if you have touchpad.

Drivers | Synaptics

Try looking in control panel see if there is a touchpad settings that has appeared.

Virtual box??
Restless !!... I have uninstalled the previous Drivers and installed the latest 64 bit Drivers from the Synaptics site, and as you will read from my earlier posts....all to no avail !.
Whatever I try the Touchpad Settings Box will not appear.
I agree with your comments regarding Advent's poor service...if you look on the suggested Forum you will find an entry under my name....no replies yet though !!...AND Synaptics are of a similar ilk !!...
Thanks for your concern...keep looking for a solution to this annoying problem
Old 10-07-2012, 19:43   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
is your mouse plugged in all the time? do you use the mouse for pointing and so want to permanently disable the touchpad?
Ian !!...Obviously there are times when it is not convenient to use my Wheelmouse..and NO I don't want to disable it, I can switch it off using fn-f6 but this too is an annoyance and anyway I want to set my machine up as I want it, hence my quest to solve this problem....Thanks for your suggestions and, incidentally, this reply has taken eight minutes to type due to the erratic behaviour of the wild cursor !!......back to XP maybe ??.

Alan.
Old 10-07-2012, 20:11   #12
Senior Member+

Hmm the notebook had XP on it to begin with? So is it an older notebook? are you sure it is 64BIT? how much ram does it have?
Old 10-07-2012, 20:11   #13
Senior Member+

Ever tried Linux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
back to XP maybe ??.

Alan.
[/FONT][/SIZE]
Old 10-07-2012, 20:31   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Ever tried Linux?
Sorry if I didn't make it quite clear Restless...I have two machines an old Advent with an XP OS...and this new one with Windows 7.
What I was suggesting...somewhat tongue in cheek...was that I
should install XP in the Monza instead of W7...which might allow me the access to Synaptics Settings which I so earnestly desire !!.....
Thanks for your thoughts.....

Alan A.
Old 10-07-2012, 21:44   #15
Senior Member+

AH ok, I read that wrong.

Are you sure the notebook is 64bit windows? Look on control panel/system it will tell you there.

If you are on 64BIT windows and you have less than 3-4GB memory then you dont need 64bit and should perhaps try installing 32bit windows7 instead. If it is 32bit windows you are using then you should try the other driver...

I wouldn't go back to XP. Have you thought about trying Linux/Ubuntu... You do not have to install it to try Linux

« Virus | Warez »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..