Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2016, 17:56   #136
Senior Member+

Re: Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
good for you Rob.....whatever floats your boat.
My desk top is used for my crafting. I design my cards, edit some of them and do a little bit of printing.
when you talk about the Windows 10 tiles(i hate them) you said you junked them...that is because you know how to do this.
Getting that tiled start up screen would do my box in( I am getting far more intolerant of the things I do not like).
I WANT a START menu and then my comfortable desk top...it is my security blanket...take it off me and I howl like a baby.
I know you are laughing at this because it is ludicrous...I know it is ludicrous, but I cannot help myself.
Why do they have to change things when they aren't broken?
I recently purchased a new pc, it came with win 8 which I defo didn't want, so no alternative but to download 10, initially I thought I had made a mistake as the start screen was the tiles you mentioned. After a few days getting used to it I found you can have a standard desktop by turning off the "tablet" option, you can also toggle between the two by clicking the start button on the taskbar. So now having used it for a while I find it is not all that different from win 7 and wonder what all the kerfuffle was about its launch.
Less, Restless and Gremlin like this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2016, 19:12   #137
Beacon of light

I am a suspicious old baggage Dave.
Microsoft are not known for their philanthropy.....so why would the give it away?(a future captive market for after market milking??) Yes, not just suspicious, but cynical too.
I am really resistant to change.....it discombobulates me.
I am unmotivated to get used to it purely because I don't HAVE to.
Now, had I bought a new computer with Windows 8 on it......THAT would most certainly have motivated me.....and perhaps I would have got used to it.
davemac likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 22:26   #138
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am a suspicious old baggage Dave.
Microsoft are not known for their philanthropy.....so why would the give it away?(a future captive market for after market milking??) Yes, not just suspicious, but cynical too.
I am really resistant to change.....it discombobulates me.
I am unmotivated to get used to it purely because I don't HAVE to.
Now, had I bought a new computer with Windows 8 on it......THAT would most certainly have motivated me.....and perhaps I would have got used to it.
Eventually evolution will force everyone to have win 10 as they stop support for older systems, and when this happens it leaves computers open to outside attack. Now I don't know if there is a hidden agenda with the free updated system but from a day to day user it is not that different from the system I left behind. So once I discovered that the tile system is not compulsory I found there was very little to learn. Win 10 is tilted towards touch screen but is just as easy mouse driven.
Having said that people have to be comfortable with the system they use, and if that is millennium, 7, XP or any other system then the worlds your lobster.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:04   #139
Senior Member+

Its as simple as right clicking them and clicking unpin.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2016, 07:12   #140
Beacon of light

Rob, that is good to know......for if and when.

I had a thought that perhaps I would download Windows 10 onto my laptop as this is not used for any of my projects.... I thought this would allow me to get used to it....to try it out.
But I haven't got around to it as I fear it might just stop using the laptop(I don't use it much anyway - but having an uncertain relationship with the OS might put me off altogether).
I will think about it!
davemac likes this.
Old 08-06-2016, 13:00   #141
Senior Member+

Margaret I tried the download path and didn't like what I got so reverted to W7. Some time later started having problems and a friend did a complete W10 load from disc, not download. He then asked me how I wanted it and I am happy about it now - it does everything I want in the way that I want it, some very minor differences, but nothing that has given me any problems
Old 08-06-2016, 22:20   #142
Senior Member+

Here, ya go. My start menu on windows 10

edit: you cant see the taskbar for some reason...

end result attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenie.jpg (28.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Restless; 08-06-2016 at 22:26.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:20   #143
Beacon of light

Thanks Rob.....better than all those blooming tiles.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:51   #144
God Member

still too messy for me

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:51   #145
Senior Member+

Lol messy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2016, 13:03   #146
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
still too messy for me
I think I am with you Margaret.
Though it is infinitely better than all those tiles.
I do not run a lot of Apps.......I have programs that I use(to me Apps are what touch screen devices use)...and yes, that may sound petty and pedantic..but there you go.(I told you that age was making me intolerant)
Old 10-06-2016, 13:44   #147
Senior Member+

My first version of Windows was 98, I`m pretty sure they were called applications back then as well.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 14:13   #148
Beacon of light

I had windows 98 too...but I always knew them as programs.

I am thinking about putting Windows 10 on my laptop...just to see if the two of us can get along........From the 29th of July there will be a charge of £99 for windows 10.

I have heard that with windows 10 you do not get the option to choose which updates you have...that the system downloads updates automatically. I am not sure where I have read this...but is there some way of disabling this facility. I like to choose what updates I install?
Old 10-06-2016, 15:26   #149
Senior Member+

Turning off updates isn`t as straight forward as previous versions but can be done - How to turn off Windows Update in Windows 10

I think we are both right about windows 98, once installed they were called programs but .exe files were applications. If you fancy a look at what windows 98 used to look and work like have a gander here - Virtual x86
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 15:43   #150
Beacon of light

Oh my great goodnight........that brought back some memories.
My computer used to scare the bejasus out of me. I used to shout for my daughter to come and sort me out.
I have come a long way since then....now if she gets a problem she shouts for me(not that I am always able to help) I am far less in awe of my machine than I was back then.......but I STILL like what I know and am resistant to change( I bet you guessed that didn't you?).

« popups | Tapatalk »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..