Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2016, 16:30   #151
Senior Member+

Re: Windows 10

My first is was 2000NT(at work) and ME(shivers)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2016, 16:37   #152
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
If you fancy a look at what windows 98 used to look and work like have a gander here - Virtual x86
You can run 98 on the original Xbox...

Old 10-06-2016, 16:51   #153
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I had windows 98 too...but I always knew them as programs.

I am thinking about putting Windows 10 on my laptop...just to see if the two of us can get along........From the 29th of July there will be a charge of £99 for windows 10.

I have heard that with windows 10 you do not get the option to choose which updates you have...that the system downloads updates automatically. I am not sure where I have read this...but is there some way of disabling this facility. I like to choose what updates I install?
Margaret. a friend installed my W10 from disc, and then gave me a 30 minute teach in. Cost me £40 but well worth it as far as I am concerned, I could not get along with the W10 download and gave up on that after 2 weeks. Now I am perfectly happy with what I have got, in fact I think it is great and littlepom thinks the same.
If you would like me to ask him to help you send me a PM with your email or phone number and I will ask him for you.
Old 10-06-2016, 16:59   #154
Beacon of light

That is kind of you Barrie....But I would only be trying it out on my laptop(which I use infrequently)....just to see if I could get along with it........if it proves to be leas wearisome that i think then I might just contact you for deatils in the future.(if that is alright).
I am a bit chary of putting it on my desktop as i use this for my crafting projects.......and i have a few part completed projects on it right now.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 22:31   #155
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That is kind of you Barrie....But I would only be trying it out on my laptop(which I use infrequently)....just to see if I could get along with it........if it proves to be leas wearisome that i think then I might just contact you for deatils in the future.(if that is alright).
I am a bit chary of putting it on my desktop as i use this for my crafting projects.......and i have a few part completed projects on it right now.
We only use laptops.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:08   #156
Beacon of light

My desk top is in my very messy craft room(back bedroom).all my design programs are on it and my craft projects past and present.i use my iPad on the go, but all my crafting is done from the desk top.....I just find it easier to use than a laptop.....though I do occasionally use my laptop, but not for crafting.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:33   #157
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
You can run 98 on the original Xbox...

I started off using two floppy disks.
One was TRSDOS for the O/S. The other for the program. I wrote a few programs to teach kids maths. Very simple stuff.
Then we got Menu before Windows and life was so simple but there was not much you could do on the PC.
Before any of that I had the old Spectrum Z something.
Old 11-06-2016, 18:47   #158
Senior Member+

My first ever was a sord m5, complete pile of garbage. The speccy would probably be a zx.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 18:59   #159
Senior Member+

And forget Xbox and PlayStation, my vectrex was the dogs danglies.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 00:02   #160
Senior Member+

I got a couple of spectrums a while back. Just got the DivMMC EnJOY because my other divmmc doesnt work on the plus2a
Old 12-06-2016, 07:05   #161
Senior Member+

Restless. I've just noticed your location is Accy spelt out in Morse code.
Clever stuff.
Old 12-06-2016, 16:30   #162
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Restless. I've just noticed your location is Accy spelt out in Morse code.
Clever stuff.
Ha. Thanks I don't actually know morse code. So it was hard work encoding it.
Old 18-07-2016, 12:17   #163

My first operating system was on a pile of floppy discs which takes you back a bit.
Re Windows UPVC 10 after the initial shock of Microsoft allowing it to install itself and update my 8 which I had just about got round I'm happily working on 10 now. Usually built up my own machines specific for work except for the most recent which was pretty much what I needed to do my jobs :--)
Old 18-07-2016, 12:34   #164

By the way the free Windows 10 download offer expires on the 29th.
Old 17-09-2016, 11:17   #165
Senior Member+

Windows 10 is definitely better than Windows 8.1 - but computers today are much more reliant on you being on the Internet all the time - which wasn't so back in the 90's - OK Internet speed is much better today but that means they can get personal data off your PC easier. Also the latest Microsoft Office seems to rely on being on the Internet to verify you've paid for it, on a regular basis - twice now it's stopped working approximately 2 months apart and demanded I go on line to "verify my subscription" this never happened before - these days you no longer get a CD Rom just a code which you put in on line then download the software.

Last edited by kestrelx; 17-09-2016 at 11:19.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

« popups | Tapatalk »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..