Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2016, 18:29   #166
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Windows 10 is definitely better than Windows 8.1 - but computers today are much more reliant on you being on the Internet all the time - which wasn't so back in the 90's - OK Internet speed is much better today but that means they can get personal data off your PC easier. Also the latest Microsoft Office seems to rely on being on the Internet to verify you've paid for it, on a regular basis - twice now it's stopped working approximately 2 months apart and demanded I go on line to "verify my subscription" this never happened before - these days you no longer get a CD Rom just a code which you put in on line then download the software.
It used to happen with pirated copies regularly so I'm told.
Restless likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-09-2016, 17:08   #167
Senior Member+

Curious at home what are you using office for

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2016, 14:07   #168
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It used to happen with pirated copies regularly so I'm told.
Clever dick as usual - it was brand new from a correct retail outlet; for your information!

Last edited by kestrelx; 04-10-2016 at 14:09.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 14:09   #169
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Curious at home what are you using office for

Word doesn't come on it's own - it's always part of Office so it's all part of the same program.
Old 04-10-2016, 14:55   #170

Open Office or Libre Office are very good free replacements for MS Office and you don't have to be online to use them.

This is what I use at home, works for me.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 16:28   #171
Senior Member+

Quote:
Word doesn't come on it's own - it's always part of Office so it's all part of the same program.
Not exactly an answer to my question. See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Open Office or Libre Office are very good free replacements for MS Office and you don't have to be online to use them.

This is what I use at home, works for me.
Libre office is a perfect FREE replacement. Not tried open office.

So depends on what you use it for. If word is all you use and it's just for personal notes or writing then free solutions are simple. Libre office worth a look at for sure. If you're editing documents by others on office then they are generally compatible.

Any use I can think of for word that I use myself.... Notepad++ takes care of it

Less likes this.
Old 04-10-2016, 18:12   #172
Senior Member+

Not used Libre, but open office documents aren`t compatible with MS Office, you can save them as Office compatible but if the person creating it doesn`t do that then Office won`t open it ( I use 2007 so newer versions may be different ).
I ended up installing Open Office as well just to get round this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 18:18   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Not used Libre, but open office documents aren`t compatible with MS Office, you can save them as Office compatible but if the person creating it doesn`t do that then Office won`t open it ( I use 2007 so newer versions may be different ).
I ended up installing Open Office as well just to get round this.
I use open office, it allows you to save in office format, always gives a warning that you might not be able to transfer everything exactly, however so far those using ms office have always been able to read what I've typed, (whether they make sense of it...).
Old 04-10-2016, 18:27   #174
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I use open office, it allows you to save in office format, always gives a warning that you might not be able to transfer everything exactly, however so far those using ms office have always been able to read what I've typed, (whether they make sense of it...).
That`s what I just said.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 18:30   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
That`s what I just said.
How true, I just read it different.
gpick24 likes this.
Old 05-10-2016, 19:07   #176
Senior Member+

Never tried. Just don't quote me on anything office related

Old 10-10-2016, 16:38   #177
Senior Member+

Quote:
Not exactly an answer to my question. See below.

Libre office is a perfect FREE replacement. Not tried open office.

So depends on what you use it for. If word is all you use and it's just for personal notes or writing then free solutions are simple. Libre office worth a look at for sure. If you're editing documents by others on office then they are generally compatible.

Any use I can think of for word that I use myself.... Notepad++ takes care of it

I thought you were asking "why do you have office at home?"

Notepad doesn't have all the functions to do a proper letter or create documents that look good, which word has - Notepad - it's literally for notes.
Old 10-10-2016, 16:50   #178
Senior Member+

Quote:
I thought you were asking "why do you have office at home?"

Notepad doesn't have all the functions to do a proper letter or create documents that look good, which word has - Notepad - it's literally for notes.
I can see why you would think that but actually notepad is used more to edit .cfg and .xml files and such. Depends on the user really. I prefer notepad++ as it has extra features that make nfo files viewable, and offer up formatting visuals for xml that makes the tedious (attempts) at coding cfg for arma3 that much easier.

I was asking that question. You don't need office If your doing a few personal things. Free solutions will do all that. One presumes you use an official licenced copy of office meaning you pay way over the odds for a software you can do the same thing with free alternatives.

However if you're doing professional documentation or editing work related documents m$ is the better option

So do you write tons of letters and create lots of documents that look good? Enough to warrant a purchase of office? - that, I guess was the question. How frequent do you use it etc..

Old 10-10-2016, 17:05   #179
Senior Member+

Quote:
I can see why you would think that but actually notepad is used more to edit .cfg and .xml files and such. Depends on the user really. I prefer notepad++ as it has extra features that make nfo files viewable, and offer up formatting visuals for xml that makes the tedious (attempts) at coding cfg for arma3 that much easier.

I was asking that question. You don't need office If your doing a few personal things. Free solutions will do all that. One presumes you use an official licenced copy of office meaning you pay way over the odds for a software you can do the same thing with free alternatives.

However if you're doing professional documentation or editing work related documents m$ is the better option

So do you write tons of letters and create lots of documents that look good? Enough to warrant a purchase of office? - that, I guess was the question. How frequent do you use it etc..

I've always had Word and Office for doing letters and also for spreadsheets...and what ever - I don't really spend time looking for alternatives. People told me Real Player is rubbish and there are other "free" programs - when I tried them I didn't like them as much as Real Player.

Last time I tried notepad - it was very simple and didn't have any functions - perhaps they've improved it recently I haven't looked.

Anyway thanks for info I'll try out the suggested program and see if I like it when this runs out.
Old 10-10-2016, 17:07   #180
Senior Member+

Oh it's still very basic. haha I wouldn't use notepad for letters. I'm just saying for most uses I use that... Writing songs mainly

Real player is rubbish. But let's not get back into that one

I would suggest giving libre office a look when the time comes.

kestrelx likes this.

« popups | Tapatalk »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..