Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2017, 18:38   #211
Beacon of light

Re: Windows 10

Pleased that you are happy with it Neil...But I don't want it.

I did not like Windows 8...and having looked at windows ten on someone else's machine decided that it was not for me...especially when that person had problems getting her almost new printer to work with this OS.

The computer I have now is only a year old...I chose it because it was running Windows 7 Professional. It suits my purposes.....and I do not have to faff around making it look like Windows 7 or turning off the updates and the snooping.
You can do those things with ease, but there are many of us who cannot(I could learn how to do it if I really really wanted to - but why? Windows 7 lets me decide what I want to download...and when I want to download it.)

Enhancements? They are only of use if they do something that you want.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2017, 19:48   #212
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Windows 10? why, Oh, why complain?
it is what you (and I) are stuck with until windows 11 or skip a few, windows 20 are forced upon us.
Get used to it or take on the adventure of Linux or Mac.

They are alternatives, how many of you have even tried them?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 19:51   #213
Senior Member+

I`ve tried Linux but not Mac.
gpick24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 20:00   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I`ve tried Linux but not Mac.
Well done, I bet like me you went back to windows because it's more convenient, I enjoyed my Mac a much less crashing system but expensive not only for the computer but also for any software that was of use, Linux? the most stable platform I've ever used, if only the software was available for such a good platform.

Windows? Well we get what we deserve, no-one is prepared to pay for a decent system SOoooo, instead of complaining we should just put up with mediocre crap!
Old 29-06-2017, 20:29   #215
Beacon of light

Windows 10 is reported to be the last Windows.
Microsoft are calling it a service so it is said that they will just continue to upgrade without bringing out any new versions.

Less, you are right...we get what we deserve.
Windows 7 does what I want it to do.
Which is why I am content to go on using it.
I don't need the enhancements, I have fairly simple requirements from my system.
It works for me.
Old 30-06-2017, 01:12   #216
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I also find windows 10 starts up much faster than windows 7
Old 30-06-2017, 06:09   #217
Beacon of light

As I said Neil, it suits you, it does what you want it to do.
I don't want it. It doesn't do it for me.
I don't want the faff of not being able to find things...and I didn't like the start up page.
Now I am told this can all be altered...but I like my desk top display the way it is.
I know where I can access my loaded programs.
I know where my photo editing stuff is, where my card making programs are....that was an issue with Windows 10...some of the programs I use would not be compatible with this OS.

So I would have had to seek out alternatives.
I do not have the time and I have even less inclination to put myself through these hoops for the enhancements which would have benefitted me not one jot.
Another issue for me was the message that Windows 10 works better with a Microsoft account.
I don't want a Microsoft account.
I do not want to purchase things from their store...to be further tied into their products

This might just be my last computer.
Old 30-06-2017, 07:16   #218
Senior Member+

Linux was great (probably still is) when I was using it and completely free but some software not available for it unfortunately.
gpick24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 14:08   #219

The thing is that we get used to something and do not want to change to something else just because its the latest thing, we tend to forget the annoyances and buggy bits as we use it so often - keeping away from those bits that cause us a problem.

Moving to something new means we would have to relearn how to do some stuff, learn new things, reconfigure it until we are happier with it etc.

It often doesn't matter if its new versions of Windows or a new phone, human nature is often to be negative about it and not want it, although once something is explained to us it can often be less worrying to use it.

It's clear that Margaret doesn't want it, also is not forced to have it yet. Although that may have to change in the future if you have to buy a new pc. I too prefer Windows 7 because I know it well, if I could easily have 7 and 10 side by side (2 pc's not dual booting) then id possibly try it out, or perhaps the next time I have to reinstall (possibly soon) but its something I will not be looking forward to with glee
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 14:25   #220
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
The thing is that we get used to something and do not want to change to something else just because its the latest thing, we tend to forget the annoyances and buggy bits as we use it so often - keeping away from those bits that cause us a problem.

Moving to something new means we would have to relearn how to do some stuff, learn new things, reconfigure it until we are happier with it etc.

It often doesn't matter if its new versions of Windows or a new phone, human nature is often to be negative about it and not want it, although once something is explained to us it can often be less worrying to use it.

It's clear that Margaret doesn't want it, also is not forced to have it yet. Although that may have to change in the future if you have to buy a new pc. I too prefer Windows 7 because I know it well, if I could easily have 7 and 10 side by side (2 pc's not dual booting) then id possibly try it out, or perhaps the next time I have to reinstall (possibly soon) but its something I will not be looking forward to with glee
That is spot on.
This desk top is just one year old and I am hoping it will last me a long time.
I hope never to need to learn the ins and outs of 10....but I am certain if I absolutely had to use it then I have no doubt that i would learn it...but not with any enthusiasm.

I have found that I can learn anything if it is something I WANT to learn.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:00   #221
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Most people don't really use the operating system just the applications so it makes little difference to them anyway. They just want to know where to start the programs they use.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:54   #222
Beacon of light

You cannot use your programs without an OS...and if that OS does not support the programs you need to use, then the OS is useless....just as your computer is useless.
So the OS does matter.
Most people will choose an OS that they are comfortable with. You like 10...you feel happy with it...it does all the things you want and it starts up quickly.
Life is short...too short to be wrestling with the faff of a new OS.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:55   #223
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
Open Office opens ordinary documents, HTML and presentations ok, not tried with spreadsheets or databases.
Libra Office opens ordinary documents and HTML ok, not tried spreadsheets or databases.

Both should be ok with anything that you would normally come across.
My Microsoft Office has run out they wanted more money - about 10 years ago when you bought Office it last for years before it ran out or stopped working, they weren't as strict! These days if you don't log on the internet for over a month you start getting reminders saying "you need to log on to internet your subscription is running out!" you have to go on line for the software to log on at headquarters via the internet in order to carry on using it! They could also be searching your computer to see what files you got or at least have a list of what documents your opening in word!? They want you to be on the Internet all the time.

So now I'm using Libra it works with word documents so that's a plus! and it's free!
Restless likes this.

Last edited by kestrelx; 12-07-2017 at 11:00.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 09:22   #224

I enjoy most things about Windows 10 though I don't like the way it tries to bully me into getting their Office suite when I don't need it.

Below is the way to sort that out:-

How to stop Windows 10's annoying Microsoft Office ads | PCWorld
Old 05-08-2017, 21:34   #225
Senior Member+

I've never seen those ads?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

« popups | Tapatalk »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..