Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2015, 09:25   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Windows 10

I'd have been totally lost there, Gremlin. I'd hate to be stuck with a seized up PC if I messed up.
I'll leave it for now, maybe take it and have it done by an expert.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2015, 09:45   #17
Senior Member+

I have a full working back up of my Win 8 system on a USB hard drive Gordon.
If I mess the upgrade up I can just restore Win 8.
I've no fear of PC,s or messing with the registry settings. Sometime it's the only way to delete malware.
As it happens everything turned out OK with Win10.
Restless likes this.
Old 07-08-2015, 16:02   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, but Rob.....you have to admit that you are computer fluent(as opposed to some of us who are just about computer literate).
Do you recommend it or is it too early in the game to say it is a pleasant operating system?
Well.. The win8 metro startscreen(that looks like 27" version of a mobile phone(of course if u have my monitor) ) has now gone and the "tiles" are kinda integrated into the start menu(see pic1 attached)

I am finding it to be good. No problems what-so-ever. It passes the game tests I have done so far!

There are significant leaps from WIN7 to WIN10 that may be more noticeable to those that up from 8.1 to 10.

Everything is now marketed as "apps" rather than programs. Pre installed was twitter app! hmmm

There are tons of settings that really need to be turned off for privacy sake. Microsoft want to know everything about you and they do this by using a search option(trying to get you to "talk" to 'cortana' much like apple products and their siri)

Another option to turn off is in automatic updates. If you are on a tariff that limits data usage you really need to turn this option off (see PIC2) Microsoft use your PC to send updates to other computers... Peer2peer using your internet!

So. I would say this. Knowing how fixed in your ways you are, I would find somebody that is already running Win10 and spend 10-15 mins using it. Or go into PC world and test it out. No rush, Just when it popped up on my screen, i thought... stuff it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic 1.jpg (73.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png pic2.png (27.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-08-2015, 16:16   #19
Beacon of light

Can you get rid of the Twitter and Facebook apps?..I would not want them on my desktop....or my screen for that matter.(I know I am a sad old baggage)

I have just got Spindleshanks (he did well in his SAT's)a new laptop and it will be upgraded to Windows 10.
I will go through the privacy settings(much as i did with Windows 8.1) and turn off those which I feel are intrusive
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 17:32   #20
Senior Member+

I'm struggling with 10 at the mo. All new to me
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 18:57   #21
Senior Member+

facebook wasn't preinstalled, you can remove twitter, or at least the option to do so is there

max what you struggling with?

to be honest. Much is the same(to me) it just looks different, with some stupid options to turn off

Last edited by Restless; 07-08-2015 at 19:00. Reason: looks diff
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 18:59   #22
Beacon of light

But can you get rid of the logo on the start up screen..?I can't stand to look at it.
Or is it not on there anymore?
Old 07-08-2015, 19:03   #23
Senior Member+

You mean that went upwards? you was always able to change it to whatever you want!

And now there is a rubbish logo underneath where you type the password in. But I will look to see if that can be changed... here is mine(as it is now and as it was all the time on windows 8/8.1)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150807_200604 (Medium).jpg (201.0 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Restless; 07-08-2015 at 19:09.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 19:16   #24
Senior Member+

Wow, that's an interesting collection of kit. Where did you find my old Spectrum?
It's OK for you experts, I still have to check how to switch it on, changing to 10 may be a task too far.
Using your fixed tariff to update other peoples PC's, accessing your info! Microsoft are going too far, relying on us thickies to let them in without our knowing.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 19:16   #25
Beacon of light

No......not that. I have changed that, the screen where all the apps are displayed.
I spent a while with Windows 8.1 changing stuff......sorted out the privacy stuff.
But it still took me a long time to find my way about.
I suppose I could put the new Windows on my laptop and try to get used to it before putting it on my desk top(which I use much more).
Old 07-08-2015, 19:24   #26
Senior Member+

Any software compatibility problems yet? I know some of my software isn`t supported but I have dual boot on my home PC so might overwrite (won`t call it upgrade just yet )one of them.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 20:18   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
facebook wasn't preinstalled, you can remove twitter, or at least the option to do so is there

max what you struggling with?

to be honest. Much is the same(to me) it just looks different, with some stupid options to turn off
I can't find a home page symbol on the task bar
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 21:06   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I can't find a home page symbol on the task bar
Might need a resolution adjustment to make it fit your screen/monitor, i get similar when attaching laptop to TV.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 21:39   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I aint touching sod all, my comps working ok as it is, so balls to it. i know nowt about computers so if it aint broke dont fix it is my motto.
Old 07-08-2015, 22:09   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Wow, that's an interesting collection of kit. Where did you find my old Spectrum?
My first love 30 years ago, I was 7 when I first owned a spectrum...oh the days of R:Tape Loading Erorr I bought it from some dude in Darwen off Gumtree.
Il do a blog post about it as not to hijack this thread so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Using your fixed tariff to update other peoples PC's, .
I am almost amazed they use your internet and your pc in this way. Not much different from freeware bundles containing bitcoin miners!

« popups | Tapatalk »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..