Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2015, 23:23   #61

Re: Windows 10

I've updated to Windows 10 so far no problems, I find the icons are abit different than Windows 7, I heard that Windows 8 was terrible I have a Dell 2009 model.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2016, 09:21   #62
Beacon of light

I switched on my computer this morning and got a big notification about upgrading to Windows 10......This big dialog box gave me three options...Upgrade Now...Upgrade Tonight...or Choose a time to Upgrade.
There was no option to tell them to 'get stood on'...or to 'fly off'.
I have just bought a new desk top....chosen because it was running Windows 7 which I know and quite like(thank you very much)....so if there is someone out there who knows how I can swerve this update, then please let me know.
I do not want Windows 10 at any price
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:46   #63
Beacon of light

It's Ok.......panic over now.
I have even got rid of the annoying Windows 10 logo from my task bar.
unbeknown to me during a recent automatic update i suppose those sneaky Windows folk had put the Windows 10 download into optional updates.
I found the details of this update on a search engine.
If you want to keep this off your machine too....then look for this number in your optional updates KB3035583 and uninstall it.
You will have to restart your machine after this but that is how you do it!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:50   #64
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I switched on my computer this morning and got a big notification about upgrading to Windows 10......This big dialog box gave me three options...Upgrade Now...Upgrade Tonight...or Choose a time to Upgrade.
There was no option to tell them to 'get stood on'...or to 'fly off'.
I have just bought a new desk top....chosen because it was running Windows 7 which I know and quite like(thank you very much)....so if there is someone out there who knows how I can swerve this update, then please let me know.
I do not want Windows 10 at any price
As the Borg (Star Trek) say "Resistance Is Futile", you will eventually have to change, unless of course you install Linux then you can be as pernickity as you wish about not being told by Mr Gates what you have to use.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:59   #65
Beacon of light

eventually doesn't pose a problem Less. Eventually I will lose my love of computers and the internet. Eventually is on the horizon and doesn't need dealing with right now'
Eventually I might not be here on this green earth.....until then I will try every method known to man(or woman...with help from computer savvy friends) to stop being strong armed or sneakily coerced into using a product which does not suit my needs(goodness I am sounding a bit like retlaw here).
Anyway I have just checked again and this update has gone.

This ploy of FREE windows 10 makes me suspicious....no-one gives something away like this unless they have an ulterior motive.
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:04   #66
Beacon of light

And anyway what is this 'futile' Less ?
You know I don't accept this no can do attitude.....I am the peerson who will try...more so if they tell me it can't be done!
Old 06-03-2016, 10:06   #67
Senior Member+

You also need to hide that update or it will install again if you run Windows update again.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:54   #68
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
You also need to hide that update or it will install again if you run Windows update again.
I have disabled the automatic updates(well for now at least) so that it only updates what I want it to update.
How do you hide the update?
Old 06-03-2016, 10:56   #69
Beacon of light

I asked that question before putting the grey cells into action....I have been into my conrol panel and hidden this update...only ten miners with lamps and a ferret would find it now
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 06-03-2016, 18:08   #70
Senior Member+

The only problem I have had up to now with Windows ten, and I've had it installed from the start of the introduction, is that I've lost the HDMI driver.
I use the PC to link to my bedroom flat screen TV so I can watch SkyGo.
Now I can only watch SkyGo on the PC which is lower down and smaller than the TV on the facing wall.
I have a Toshiba all in one PC and the Toshiba forum has dozens of enquiries as to what Windows has done to the driver.
It was fine on Win8.
It's not really important but I do like to watch some of the late comedies or Qi on Sky. Apart from that I'm very happy with Win10.
Old 06-03-2016, 19:22   #71
Beacon of light

Russell I have just got newer desk top and I chose this because it came with Windows 7.
I know my way around this OS and it suits the things I do...especially the craft stuff. I did not want to be having to load stuff onto this new machine(a trial in itself) and having to get used to a new OS(this must be a sign of ageing......I was always comfortable with change until recently)
I really, really don't want windows 10 and am suspicious because they are giving it away.
Is this so they have a captive audience that widens their already massive sales base for other add on products.
I don't like feeling that I have to have something that I do not want.
I will wait until I can see it up and running on someone elses machine before I would even consider it on mine.
A near neighbour of mine downloaded it and she has had nothing but trouble with it, so she has reverted back to Windows 7

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 06-03-2016 at 19:24.
Old 06-03-2016, 21:08   #72
Senior Member+

I guess some people are unlucky with it but I took a chance early on knowing I could revert to older systems.
I made a full hard drive backup as well so if all else failed I would be able to restore my machine to the previous version.
I have set my heart on a new Apple Mac though. They seem superior all round to Windows machines. I'm just a bit concerned about my Windows software. I've a upto date full Microsoft office suite plus software I use for transferring music and photos to my iPad without getting iCloud or whatever involved.
I have a recent Photoediting suite from Nikon and one from Coral. All expense I dont want to repeat on a Mac.
I can do without the photo software as I don't often do more than crop my pictures. I prefer to use the camera in manual and get results that way, some photos I see look really false with too mch manipulation.

I've never played a game on a computer either.

In your case Margaret if you like what you have, enjoy and can use it, what's the point in changing.

Last edited by Gremlin; 06-03-2016 at 21:10.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:34   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have set my heart on a new Apple Mac though. They seem superior all round to Windows machines. I'm just a bit concerned about my Windows software. I've a upto date full Microsoft office suite plus software I use for transferring music and photos to my iPad without getting iCloud or whatever involved.
I have a recent Photoediting suite from Nikon and one from Coral. All expense I dont want to repeat on a Mac.
I can do without the photo software as I don't often do more than crop my pictures. I prefer to use the camera in manual and get results that way, some photos I see look really false with too mch manipulation.
There are some very good free bits of software out there you can use,

For example try Open Office , It has all you need to replace Microsoft Office and can be downloaded for Windows, Mac or Linux.

Gimp2 an excellent 'GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP).' Again can be downloaded for all platforms.

Both the above organisations offer excellent 'how to' support and are open source, no need to be stuck with expensive windows based software if you look for quality replacements.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:49   #74

Oh, and by the way if you use Google drive you can save all your work and use it across all the platforms including your mobile 'phone.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:52   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I guess some people are unlucky with it but I took a chance early on knowing I could revert to older systems.
I made a full hard drive backup as well so if all else failed I would be able to restore my machine to the previous version.
Gremlin, You are clearly having the same thoughts and concerns as I had before my recent switchover to a Mac. I too had an investment in some software that I would be reluctant to loose, and also some software with 'no obvious equivalent'. I would suggest you have a look at a product called VMware, it will enable you to keep your Windows software running on the Mac while you 'settle in' to the new environment and try out alternatives, 'it does what it says on the can'. If you want more detail of my switchover experience send me a PM.
Gremlin likes this.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

« popups | Tapatalk »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..